You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

1 minute ago, Nick Labo said:

If you don't believe me, give me a bank account, I will pay in advance right now! :) with pleasure! (double for the whole trinity)

There was already the idea of start a crowdfunding campaign to get the money for the linux port. I'm sure as soon they say what they need to make a port the community will bring in the money.

I definitely will pay more to have a awesome tool for Linux.

I really can't work with gimp...

On 9/7/2020 at 12:57 PM, Patrick Connor said:

@Nick Labo

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

It is of course very flattering, and it is clear there would be interest from Linux users. We are currently still focusing all our efforts on the existing supported OS's and also expanding the suite so that Publisher can work on the iPad.

No problem Affinity, I wish the best for the iPad version! We also do have special focus on tasks, but this doesn't holds us back from building new stuff.
But please hire someone to start with linux, what holds you back? I don't even think it's the money anymore. I think you need more developers. Please.

11 hours ago, Jorgen said:

I'm using DaVinci Resolve on Linux and it worked so perfect. Better performance and on mac or windows btw and much better for grading as Adobe premiere

While I am also in favor of a Linux port... bad example... this IS a Linux program that they expanded to pc and mac. Not the best example. You can tell from the fact that the exit box is actually on the upper left of the app window, not the right. That's very much a unix/Amiga/etc trademark. 

Like Audacity, GIMP, Krita, etc...

14 minutes ago, Nick Labo said:

No problem Affinity, I wish the best for the iPad version! We also do have special focus on tasks, but this doesn't holds us back from building new stuff.
But please hire someone to start with linux, what holds you back? I don't even think it's the money anymore. I think you need more developers. Please.

Since iPad is now going to share mac architecture, 1 less OS soon, ince support for legacy Mac is gone. Lol then focus on Linux.

1 minute ago, JofreJKD said:

While I am also in favor of a Linux port... bad example... this IS a Linux program that they expanded to pc and mac. Not the best example.

Like Audacity, GIMP, Krita, etc...

Oh, didn't know they start with the linux version. Maybe the reason for the good stability and performance.🎉 Thx for clearify

• Staff
2 hours ago, Nick Labo said:

I think you need more developers.

So do we, we have never stopped advertising for developers for 4 years now

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/careers/

Also, calm down. Your spamming (posting too much) which is not allowed

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I don't have any new statistics but hope my opinion can help to make a more informed future decision!

I am a software developer and use Affinity products to edit photos, design prototypes and create illustrations. A big part of my decision to buy Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer was that I'd only have to pay for it once. I use Windows on my primary computer with a Linux subsystem, rarely a Linux vm, and I'm looking into installing Lubuntu (Lightweight Ubuntu) on an older Microsoft Surface (with only 50gb of storage).

Optimally I'd like to be able to travel (future) with the Surface and Affinity Photo, either to make quick edits or to enjoy a more comfortable (in bed) or inspiring (a local park) environment. Without having to pay again (doubtful, but I did say optimally). I'd use Wine if that worked, as long as the interface was close enough.

I am currently switching from Windows to Linux. I've been working successfully only with Linux (Manjaro) for three months now and really don't miss anything, apart from professional creative tools.

My career as a wedding photographer will be over soon, thanks to COVID-19. Therefore, I’m no longer depending on the Adobe slavery.

But I also want to remain creative on Linux. I already have all Affinity products for Windows, and I love working with them. So I would like to use exactly these products on Linux.

I also think that there are already enough mature and willing buyers on the Linux platform. Linux is no longer just for "operating system tinkerers" and "script kiddies".

Although I have already paid for all three Windows products (Photo, Designer and Publisher), I would pay again for a version with native Linux support. I just want to use a good and professional software on Linux.

As an example of my willingness to pay for software, I would like to mention DaVinci Resolve Studio, for which I paid and use successfully on Linux for video editing.

And if I may take a side view to another wishlist, I would like to mention the gamer community and GOG Galaxy. They have already received over 28.000 votes for a Linux version. (I know, they are "only" gamers, but maybe the gamer of today is the paying customer of tomorrow ...)

I truly hope very much for an upcoming Linux support. Maybe the first phase could be done with WINE support, to provide a Linux compatibility at least from this direction, until there is a native Linux version.

Edited by tyniffa

6 hours ago, tyniffa said:

I truly hope very much for an upcoming Linux support. Maybe the first phase could be done with WINE support, to provide a Linux compatibility at least from this direction, until there is a native Linux version.

It's nice to hear, but it's also wrong, IMHO.

It's like patching, it's like dumbing down of the application code. To keep Affinity products professional, Wine support for Affinity should be improved rather than vice-versa.

A native solution is better for the code base.

Of course the native code is always preferred.

How compatibility with WINE could be ensured is left to the developers.
But in my opinion it would be at least a start if the WINE and Affinity developers would exchange knowledge, so that at least from that direction something Linux like would progress.
It makes me sad when I read about users efforts to make Affinity products run via WINE, only to realize that the GUI, for example, is completely broken.

This thread is about native Linux support, which is also in my opinion the cleanest solution and a must-have.

Dear Affinity developers, please let us pay for a Linux version of your products!

Edited by tyniffa

Crowd funding is a one time infusion of cash to get something growing. There needs to be future growth that would warrant the expense of developers and support. $500,000 sounds like a lot but that can get eaten up very quickly.

The idea that because Apple is switching to ARM that everything will be exactly the same on iPad and Mac OS is probably not true. Apps will be optimized for the task (touch vs mouse) and this is not just something you switch to even if it was. If Affinity software is a real must then you will need to pick an OS that works with it or use something else. I am sure Affinity is hard at work fixing and developing new tools and functions that will be a real step up when V2 is released. Jumping into the hurdles of a new OS and all that goes with Linux and the various distros. 

Out of curiosity can you run Windows as a VM inside of Linux? I run Windows on my Mac and run it using Parallels (VM software). They have this great feature called "coherence" that makes the windows app I am using look like it is part of the Mac OS. Not sure if anything like that exists on the Linux side and if this is something that would be a work around on Linux for those who want to use it and not change their OS. 

Hey... here's a crazy idea... Affinity should just release their app on Steam and let "Steam Play" and proton or whatever make it compatible for all systems.

I used to have all these WINDOWS ONLY games ALL suddenly work on Linux

The Affinity developers simply don't want to support Linux. I'm guessing that doing so would bump up their tech support/maintenance expenses. Which means the one off cheap $70-$100 fee won't be enough cover technical support. Otherwise they'd have to do subscription like Adobe, which means pissing off their entire fan base and losing everyone's trust.

Whenever iOS/Mac/Windows updates its OS, it causes all their developers to spend time updating their software to make it compatible. Mac seems to be be quite infamous for updating frequently, and perhaps costing Affinity in tech support. And Apple is where all the "creatives" are.

I'm an atypical creative that wants to leave Apple and go to Linux because Apple has become a bit 1984. I'm using a Linux laptop that's 2x more powerful CPU&GPU than Apple's best. And $3K cheaper! WTF!?

Linux OS updates are so much slower and stable. I'm guessing the tech support for Linux would be far less than Linux. But not many veteran creatives are on Linux or would want to switch to Linux. Even I'm finding it tough to transition.

Which is why the most financially feasible option would be Wine/Crossover at

https://www.codeweavers.com/porting

Porting costs $9000 vs $0.5-1 million in Native Development.

So to get Linux on Affinity, one would just need to buy a windows version. (Which I've bought on special incase. Using Virtual Machine for now.)

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/search?name=affinity Currently compatibility rating for Affinity is 1/5.

Once enough creatives feel like they can switch to Linux,  then maybe Affinity might consider making it native.

DEAR AFFINITY... Would you at least consider porting it for $9000? Can we crowd fun $9000? 30-50 customers buying all 3 Affinity Programs would cover that!!

PLEEEEESE?

17 minutes ago, wonderings said:

Crowd funding is a one time infusion of cash to get something growing. There needs to be future growth that would warrant the expense of developers and support. $500,000 sounds like a lot but that can get eaten up very quickly.

The idea that because Apple is switching to ARM that everything will be exactly the same on iPad and Mac OS is probably not true. Apps will be optimized for the task (touch vs mouse) and this is not just something you switch to even if it was. If Affinity software is a real must then you will need to pick an OS that works with it or use something else. I am sure Affinity is hard at work fixing and developing new tools and functions that will be a real step up when V2 is released. Jumping into the hurdles of a new OS and all that goes with Linux and the various distros. 

Out of curiosity can you run Windows as a VM inside of Linux? I run Windows on my Mac and run it using Parallels (VM software). They have this great feature called "coherence" that makes the windows app I am using look like it is part of the Mac OS. Not sure if anything like that exists on the Linux side and if this is something that would be a work around on Linux for those who want to use it and not change their OS. 

There's Virtual Box on Linux.

I have a 12 Core Ryzen 9. RTX 2070. And Running virtual box with GPU fully utilized, it works rather smooth and snappy at first.... IF the composition on Affinity is simple. But for the bigger slightly more complex compositions with many layers, it really chokes.

This Youtuber says VMware Player is faster than Virtual Box.

Agreed on the development costs. As I've mentioned. They should try porting it with CrossOver which only costs $9000. Like seriously... 50 users buying all 3 would cover that.

53 minutes ago, wonderings said:

Of course you can run any Windows in VM under Linux. For example, you can host a Windows Server under VMWare ESX (that is Linux based too), but also WIndows 10 under Linux desktop.

You can do this by using VMWare or VirtualBox or other. It is not as "coherence", it's like a window where you have Windows desktop, if it's a desktop, can be run headless too.

You can also dedicate hardware to be accessed directly by the virtualized machine (generally speaking, regardless the hosted OS). For instance, you can have a video card for the host OS (Linux) and a video card (or more) for the guest virtual machine.

But the idea is to get rid of Windows completely, as it has a nasty update habit, it's buggy lately (I can speak as daily developer under Windows that their development environment is less and less stable - imagine paying for expensive licenses and you get the editor stuck or losing refactoring or behaving erratically). Worst of all now, Windows 10 can't boot if some virtualisation technologies are enabled. Not to speak of the metering, that seems to take an important part of the resources you have. Linux is as light you need to be. You can choose your DE and modules and flavors of the modules, or you can take some  predefined setup. It's really lovely.

On 9/12/2020 at 3:54 PM, Jorgen said:

There was already the idea of start a crowdfunding campaign to get the money for the linux port. I'm sure as soon they say what they need to make a port the community will bring in the money.

I definitely will pay more to have a awesome tool for Linux.

I really can't work with gimp...

In that case, try out native Linux Pixeluvo and Fotoxx and see how you get on with them. Also, some versions of Photoshop and Paintshop Pro work well with Wine.

PS If someone has no choice but to work with Gimp, then I recommend the Davies Media Design tutorials to be found Youtube and other platforms.

On 9/12/2020 at 4:30 PM, Nick Labo said:

Linux's market share is not yet big enough to justify the huge investment it will take to properly port over the Serif range of products to Linux. One of Serif's priorities right now is working on a version of Publisher for iPads and probably ensuring that all their softwares will work flawlessly on Apple's Arm Macs.

Some software makers cater for Linux users by making sure that their products work well with Wine (hi, PhotoLine and PhotoScape*) and that's the best that can possibly be hoped for at some future stage.

* it's now an Ubuntu Snap available in the Software Center.