You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD] Little Illustration to learn the Affinity way

mvgraph

After almost 10 years of using mainly Illustrator... I'm trying really hard to get used to Affinity Designer. I really miss to be able to select nodes from different objects and to move handlers of a node symmetrically... but even tho I find that some features of AD are really sweet and really engourages me to keep learning.

I'm really looking fordward to the 1.6 update :D and I'm glad I bought this nice software.

bicho2.png

Very impressive and welcome to the forum.

What style of shading did you use for the actual octopus?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• Staff

I really miss to be able to select nodes from different objects

Hi mvgraph :)

Just to let you know you can actually do this, but you must first have the objects themselves in the selection. The Node Tool selects nodes from all objects in the selection and it can also be used to add objects to the selection by single-clicking with Shift held.

Thanks,

Matt

I really miss to be able to select nodes from different objects and to move handlers of a node symmetrically...

Although you can't move the two control handles of a node at the same time, you can move one and then hold down the Shift key while moving the other one. You'll get a little line across the connectors between the node and its control handles to tell you that the distances are the same.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

Really nice illustration, I like the face of the purple being.

I'm really looking fordward to the 1.6 update :D and I'm glad I bought this nice software.

Me too!

Very impressive and welcome to the forum.

What style of shading did you use for the actual octopus?

I used inner and outer glows... also I used gradients inserted in shapes and little shapes with dark colors using the transparency tool! By the way... I thought "Why is there a transparency tool separated from the gradient tool" but I find it useful after all :) I saw at the road map and I noticed that "multiple fills and strockes per shape" so maybe in THAT case transparency tool will be a little less useful, but the most important thing is... I followed this free tutorial on skillshare :) https://www.skillshare.com/classes/Vector-Illustration-Design-a-Playful-Character-Using-Geometric-Shapes/1832339814/classroom/discussions?via=user-profile&enrolledRedirect=1

Hi mvgraph :)

Just to let you know you can actually do this, but you must first have the objects themselves in the selection. The Node Tool selects nodes from all objects in the selection and it can also be used to add objects to the selection by single-clicking with Shift held.

Thanks,

Matt

Oh yeah! I just tested and that's how you do it, thanks to you Matt! 

Although you can't move the two control handles of a node at the same time, you can move one and then hold down the Shift key while moving the other one. You'll get a little line across the connectors between the node and its control handles to tell you that the distances are the same.

That's true! Thanks! I'm so used to the Illustrators way that I totally missed this feature :)

By the way... I thought "Why is there a transparency tool separated from the gradient tool" but I find it useful after all :) I saw at the road map and I noticed that "multiple fills and strockes per shape" so maybe in THAT case transparency tool will be a little less useful

While the same can be done with the Gradient Tool, the Transparency Tool is a faster way rather than to change the opacity of a midpoint. Also, the Gradient Tools doesn't work well on images.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

After almost 10 years of using mainly Illustrator... I'm trying really hard to get used to Affinity Designer. I really miss to be able to select nodes from different objects and to move handlers of a node symmetrically... but even tho I find that some features of AD are really sweet and really engourages me to keep learning.

Looking good mvgraph!