chill59

Joining curves in designer

I'm struggling to join two curves. Both end points sat on top of each other, both layers highlighted and both paths going in same direction. Click 'join curves' in node tool but nothing happens (curves don't join).

What am I doing wrong?

TIA

Use the node tool. Select both curves (click one, Shift-click the second curve), then join curves button should work fine. (It will use a line to join the two closest end nodes, the points do not have to be directly on top of each other).

What am I doing wrong?

It's hard to say without seeing your file. From your description, it sounds as though it should work OK.

Can you attach a sample file that demonstrates the problem?

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 • Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.0.135 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.9 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

It seems to be working now. I redrew one of the curves (a straight line actually) and now it joins no problem. Must have been a bit of a bug.

Thanks for help.

You can only join open curves, so make sure neither of them is a closed shape. This is not always easy to do because there is no indication if a shape is closed or has two open end points on top of each other, so the only way I know to make sure is to try dragging one of the red nodes on each curve & see if a path segment connects it to another node in the original location. Undo each drag & if necessary use the break curve action to open the closed one(s).

Affinity Photo 1.7.1, Affinity Designer 1.7.1, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.143 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

You can only join open curves, so make sure neither of them is a closed shape. This is not always easy to do because there is no indication if a shape is closed or has two open end points on top of each other....

That would explain it. The OP solved the problem by redrawing a straight line: the original "straight line" was probably a closed curve, such as might be formed by selecting a straight line and clicking on the 'Close curve' button on the Action toolbar.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 • Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.0.135 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.9 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

That would explain it. The OP solved the problem by redrawing a straight line: the original "straight line" was probably a closed curve, such as might be formed by selecting a straight line and clicking on the 'Close curve' button on the Action toolbar.

It would be nice if the UI gave some obvious indication of this, like by using a different shape for open end nodes.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1, Affinity Designer 1.7.1, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.143 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

It would be nice if the UI gave some obvious indication of this, like by using a different shape for open end nodes.

Yes, it would. As I mentioned in another thread, the Layers tab in Serif DrawPlus clearly indicates "Curve" or "Closed Curve", as appropriate; in addition to something like this, it would be good to have a visual indicator on the canvas itself.

Alfred online2long.gif

Hi uncle808us,

Here's the file fixed:

Close curves_MEB.afphoto

With all nodes selected, drag the nodes of one side over the other so the tree three becomes complete (you can deselect the tree now). Then draw a small rectangle (of other shape) inside the tree three area. Add (boolean operation) the tree three and the shape you just created a you will get a clean result (without the line in the middle).

25 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi uncle808us,

Here's the file fixed:

Close curves_MEB.afphoto

With all nodes selected, drag the nodes of one side over the other so the three becomes complete (you can deselect the three now). Then draw a small rectangle (of other shape) inside the three area. Add (boolean operation) the three and the shape you just created a you will get a clean result (without the line in the middle).

Is it three or tree? I'm confused. (nothing new me being confused.)

Mac MacBook Pro 15 in.  OS X 10.9.5, Mid 2012 456.77 GB Affinity Design and Photo.

Just now, MEB said:

Oh sorry! It's tree of course :$

I thought so I can't find the boolean operator in photo .:$

Mac MacBook Pro 15 in.  OS X 10.9.5, Mid 2012 456.77 GB Affinity Design and Photo.

Go to menu Layer ▸ Geometry ▸ Add.

You can also add the boolean operators to the main toolbar right clicking on it and selecting Customise Toolbar... (you may need to scroll the buttons down a little to see them). There's a group there called Operations similar to what you find in Designer. Just drag them to the main toolbar on top.

This is only needed when you are editing a single shape composed by two (or more paths) rather than two separate shapes. You can also break it in two shapes using Divide then perform an Add operation as usual.

26 minutes ago, uncle808us said:

I can't get these curves to become one tree.

It isn't obvious but each of the two curves in your Curves (note the plural) layer is a closed shape. (You can see this by temporarily changing the stroke setting from none to any width.) So since the "Join curves" action will not join closed curves, it won't have any effect, even if you use the Divide operation to split the Curves layer into two Curve layers.

One simple way to join the two pieces is to use the Divide operation to get two layers & with snapping enabled drag one of them until its straight side aligns with the straight side of the other one. Now select both & use the "Add" operation to combine them into one curve.

Note that because of the somewhat buggy nature of the boolean operations, this may produce extra nodes, but for your file it does not.