You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Move asset's between sub categories

• 3 years later...
  • 10 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @rjossm,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I'm afraid there's no way to do it in iOS. I suggest you create a new thread in respective section in the Feature Requests & Suggestions area of the Forums to request this (if there isn't one already). It's indeed a bit limited as it is. Thanks for your feedback/bringing this up.

• 1 year later...
On 11/23/2016 at 11:28 AM, MEB said:

Hi skinneejoe, tim.jones,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Press and hold ⌥ (option/alt) while dragging them to move assets between subcategories.

@MEB

Why isn’t this allowed by default? It’s 2022 and I’ve recently started using Affinity apps, and this workaround from 2016 still applies, sadly. 

To make things worse, there is no mention of this necessary keyboard shortcut in the your online help covering the Assets panel. The help doc covers subcategories but doesn’t mention how one can move assets in between categories.

Why is this the current, default behavior? Dragging Assets in between subcategories displays a cursor that makes the viewer believe they can drop the item into the new subcategory. I can’t tell you how incredibly frustrating it was to discover you can’t… even though the UI reacts in a way that leads the user to think it possible. 

Almost 6 years have passed since this original thread, and if the developers aren’t going to address this issue in the Designer app, the least that could be done is to update the online help page to mention this required keyboard shortcut that I doubt people could guess on their own.

I’m so glad I found this tip here (thank you), but there has got to be a better way.

Edited by Azure Sea

• 1 year later...

One of the problems with a forum like this is there is SO MUCH material, it can take nearly two hours to just find the right thread, only to find it closed to new comments. Thankfully this one is not. It's time to put AI to work to help us find exactly the thread we need for our particular question. Now, on to the comment about this thread:

What AFFINITY needs (in all 9 apps) is an ASSETS MANAGEMENT dialog panel. This panel should operate like the Bookmarks dialog in a browser such as Firefox, such that it shows a hierarchical folder structure in the left window pane, and the contents of the selected folder in the right pane, whether those contents be actual assets or more subfolders. In this ASSETS MANAGEMENT dialog, users should be able to:

• Drag folders
    • to Different locations within the folder structure
    • INSIDE other folders
    • OUTSIDE of their current folder to any location
  • Drag ASSETS to drop them inside any other folder. Hold down CTRL/CMD to drag a copy of that asset, leaving the asset in the original folder.
  • Export a folder to an .afassets file
  • Import an .afassets file and place it anywhere within the folder structure

I am relatively new to using Affinity software, and I love it - but it REALLY needs to be upgraded to allow more things we need, such as Assets Management as described above.