You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush Tool Dimension

Hi Daniele Salvatore,

This is also available on Windows but the shortcuts are different. You have to press ALT + right-mouse + left mouse and drag horizontally to change the size and vertically to change the hardness.

Thank you for the very fast answer.

I have seen that it works perfectly; well done!

Aha!  This is what I have been looking for.  There's nothing about this in the HELP system that I could find.

It's a very convoluted adjustment though, I'd really prefer to have two keypresses instead of two mouse-buttons.  Also, I have to say I prefer the wheel for adjusting things, instead of mouse movements.  I'm old, my reflex motions don't adapt quickly.  ;)

It's a bit wish-list-y, but I'd love to be able to change these commands.  

• Staff

Main Shortcuts differences between the Mac and Windows version

The windows keyboard shortcut equivalents are as follows.

Mac 'Command' key = Windows 'Ctrl' key

Mac 'Shift' key = Windows 'Shift' key

Mac 'Alt' key = Windows 'Alt' key

Mac 'Ctrl' key = Windows 'Right Mouse' button

NOTE: Most recent Affinity videos and tutorials have been made to reflect both Windows and Mac keyboard shortcuts. However there are still some that currently refer only to Mac accelerators.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

That works very well when you use a mouse. But with a pen that doesn't work, you cannot press the two buttons at the same time. Why wouldn't "Alt" + "right-click" and dragging work. Actually, with a pen, we have to go to the top menu to change the size, that's a little counter-productive. I wonder if this could be change by creating a new shortcut....

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

> "But with a pen that doesn't work, you cannot press the two buttons at the same time"

Works for me, the pen tip counts as one of the buttons and your "right click" button as the other

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Wacom intuos Pro XL, works both with pen and mouse. You need to set, customizing in your Wacom panel the Affinity Photo application (Photo.exe), one of the side buttons to be your Right mouse button. Then, to change the size and hardness, just drag the pen "drawing" in the tablet while also keeping pressed this side button and the alt key.

You might want to check my signature where I explain how to use a free tray utility that helps you with this (by not requiring so to hit alt key), I change brush size with the pen, very comfortably now.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

It is very rare what happens to me, to do it with the mouse does not work by pressing ALT and RIGHT BUTTON of the mouse, I have to press the two buttons left and right to access the extension and once you allow me I can release one of the two Mouse buttons .... why ?? And with wacom directly even if you put the application as you say and configure it, it does nothing.

Thanks SrPx.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.