You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Top main menu fonctionnality

First, congratulations for this software and your hard work. I really appreciate it.
I can feel that the day I will switch from Photoshop is not far.
It doesn't take long to get used to the UI, but there is a part of the top menu that annoys me, it's the way submenus under the "Filters" section open. They open up to the left of the main section. They almost cover the tools. Same for the submenu "Plugins" and also "View" - "Studio" which covers some of the tools.
It seems to me that if these submenus opened to the right of the main section it would be more logical and aesthetically more pleasant. I wonder if I'm the only one seeing that this way, but maybe it's just me. Thanks again.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

You mean things like Filter/noise ?

It opens like in PS... Why would you mind if it covers the top bar (in which other way could it do it..) ? I mean, you are there to select one of the filters, right? not deal with the top bar tools... (please, excuse me, am a bit lost with this one..)

In some occasions PS also open those menus to the left... I see it very minor ( if anything ), sorry...  ;)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

Yes PS opens submenus to the left also and I don't like it very much, but I don't think Adobe will care about my opinion on this. Im PS submenus are on a white background over the dark bg of PS, it makes it probably less apparent. But in AP , black on black....

Here are the sceenshots for Filters, Plugins and Studio.

post-32421-0-77490300-1479235157_thumb.jpgpost-32421-0-45884500-1479235159_thumb.jpgpost-32421-0-69250300-1479235160_thumb.jpg

-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

Happens here too, but I didn't give it any importance. I don't know, maybe it behaves different in different desktop resolutions ? Mine is 1920  x1080.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

Have not tested this with all drop-down menus but, as shown in the attached screenshot, the Filters panel does open to the right on my system, also set to 1920 x 1080.

post-28542-0-15470200-1479240486_thumb.jpg

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

HI AlainP

Do you have a pen an tablet installed? The menus tend to do this to accommodate the 'Handedness' set in Windows if you do. If you set the pen to be left handed in windows then it moves the menu back to being over to the right. It doesn't seem to affect the actual operation of the pen.

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

HI AlainP

Do you have a pen an tablet installed? The menus tend to do this to accommodate the 'Handedness' set in Windows if you do. If you set the pen to be left handed in windows then it moves the menu back to being over to the right. It doesn't seem to affect the actual operation of the pen.

Cheers

Yes, I have a Wacom tablet installed. Indeed, if I change to "left-handed" via "Tablet and PC Settings" in Windows Control Panel then menus work ok, they open to the right and the pen works fine. Changing to "left-handed" in the Wacom settings does not make any difference. Note that it also fixed PS menus behavior.

But isn't it weird that I have to set Windows to "left-handed" to make the menus work properly?

Thanks.

-- Macbook Air 15"

Yes, I have a Wacom tablet installed. Indeed, if I change to "left-handed" via "Tablet and PC Settings" in Windows Control Panel then menus work ok, they open to the right and the pen works fine. Changing to "left-handed" in the Wacom settings does not make any difference. Note that it also fixed PS menus behavior.

But isn't it weird that I have to set Windows to "left-handed" to make the menus work properly?

Thanks.

No, it's not weird, when you attach a tablet, it defaults to right-handed in Windows, and as your right hand would cover up a sub-menu that would open on the right, Windows changes it to open on the left. It's annoying, yes (especially if you're not using a pen at the time), but it's nothing to do with us.

I understand your point, I can imagine using the pen directly on the screen it make sense. It's not that obvious whith a graphic tablet sitting on a desk.

Thanks for this quick and good answer.

-- Macbook Air 15"

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.