You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Public Beta - 1.5.0.5 (Windows)

When editing embeded graphic in seperate window original window flickering but not updating properly, needed to reselect original window to see edits then followed by program crash.. (not as impressive as the promo video :) )

Thanks. It looks like they aren't self-contained EPS. They use some resources with names like Adobe_packedarray. The library we use for importing EPS doesn't have definitions of them. We'll have a look to see if we can do anything about this, but no promises.

We can export in EPS, which may work.

- Moment of Inspiration can import the EPS from Affinity Designer.

- Rhino can not, but it reads PDF, so I'm good there.

- Lightwave 3D (https://lightwave3d.com/) also can't read the EPS from Affinity Designer (and has no other vector import by default), but has no Problem with the AI from Rhino which AD can't read...  ;)

I don't know the internals of EPS/AI well enough but I wonder if those old-style things were part of some older Adobe SDK/API maybe?

Michael Gibson, the developer of Moment of Inspiration, would probably be willing to share some insights into what he is using for export - he's one of the most helpful guys I know. The Rhino Developers are also very open and friendly.

Thank you very much for looking into it!

Cheers,

Tom

ScreenDream   |   Windows 8.1 x64 - 64 GB Ram - i7 6 core @ 4.1 GHz - GeForce GTX 1080 TI & GTX 980 Ti

When activating View -> Studio -> Assets  Affintiy Designer crashed

An error message that is very short and is not fully read: "A unexpectedly exception ...."

Best regards

Franz

Hi Franz, I'm assuming you're using a non-English UK language, and if that's the case, we're aware of the issue and have fixed it for the next release.

On windows should we uninstall each beta before trying the updated version or are the updates incremental?

I ask as some software betas I've done recommend uninstalling between versions.

Guest Arun Sarkar

Yes :)

Hello Mark :)

Can I now install and work with your new version (i.e. my issue with NVedia 210, i3 issue) of AD?

With kind regards

Arun

Here a file with simple lines/curves on a flat plane: circle, a rectangle and a polygon from Moi3D - View top so no volume

Format Ai

I see nothing inside Aff D !

testaffy.jpg

Hi FPilou,

I opened your file in Adobe Illustrator CC and saved it is as AI CS5 and AI CC. Please try to open these in Affinity Designer (see attached). They look fine for me.

Best regards,

Alex

testaffy_cs5.ai

testaffy_cc.ai

Hi FPilou,

I opened your file in Adobe Illustrator CC and saved it is as AI CS5 and AI CC. Please try to open these in Affinity Designer (see attached). They look fine for me.

Best regards,

Alex

The idea here is to not need Adobe Illustrator to open files ;-)

Cheers,

Tom

ScreenDream   |   Windows 8.1 x64 - 64 GB Ram - i7 6 core @ 4.1 GHz - GeForce GTX 1080 TI & GTX 980 Ti

The idea here is to not need Adobe Illustrator to open files ;-)

Cheers,

Tom

I agree with you Tom! :) I simply checked the AI file in CC if it was correct. I'd like to say goodbye to Adobe one day!

Thanks,

Alex

Hello Mark :)

Can I now install and work with your new version (i.e. my issue with NVedia 210, i3 issue) of AD?

With kind regards

Arun

I hope so Arun!! I've mentioned it in other posts, but the problem is caused by a Windows Update, so we've (hopefully) come up with a way of working around this with the new installation.

I agree with you Tom! :) I simply checked the AI file in CC if it was correct. I'd like to say goodbye to Adobe one day!

Thanks,

Alex

Yes, I already stopped updating with CS 6 and have no plans to buy into the ill-conceived Adobe CC stuff (The old song: "I sold my soul to the company store" comes to mind), so AD could be a nice solution for my limited Vector needs (I do mainly 3D).  :)

Illustrator opens all those files me and Pilou posted and Lightwave 3D can also read Illustrator 8 AI/EPS files but not AD EPS, so we're mainly trying to either find solutions that work with AD directly or see if the import/export of AD can be enhanced to also support those applications formats.

Cheers,

Tom

Yes, I already stopped updating with CS 6 and have no plans to buy into the ill-conceived Adobe CC stuff (The old song: "I sold my soul to the company store" comes to mind), so AD could be a nice solution for my limited Vector needs (I do mainly 3D).  :)

Illustrator opens all those files me and Pilou posted and Lightwave 3D can also read Illustrator 8 AI/EPS files but not AD EPS, so we're mainly trying to either find solutions that work with AD directly or see if the import/export of AD can be enhanced to also support those applications formats.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks for your explanation here. Now I understand why the AI file was posted:)

I've been looking at AD for some time and I love its functionality. I've got some issues with generating PDF files though (the fonts are always converted into outlines despite the fact I switch it off before exporting) but I'm sure this will be sorted in next public beta. And of course the most important thing is to find a real alternative to Adobe CC.

Alex

Guest Arun Sarkar

I hope so Arun!! I've mentioned it in other posts, but the problem is caused by a Windows Update, so we've (hopefully) come up with a way of working around this with the new installation.

Thanks Mark   :D

Hope-Hope-Hope

• Staff

On windows should we uninstall each beta before trying the updated version or are the updates incremental?

I ask as some software betas I've done recommend uninstalling between versions.

Hi Adi,

There is no need to uninstall the previous build before installing the new one. This is done automatically as part of the install for the newer build. :)

Hi Adi,

There is no need to uninstall the previous build before installing the new one. This is done automatically as part of the install for the newer build. :)

That's great. thanks for the reply

Because when you import an image, the color is lifeless, dull?

Hi. the Windows 10 Photos app automatically enhances images to make them look better on the screen. What you're seeing in Affinity is how the image actually looks.

You can turn off the automatic enhancements in the Photos app settings so that you see the original image.

Sure.

FieldLines is a file from Rhino created with Grasshopper. (http://www.rhino3d.com/  &  http://www.grasshopper3d.com/ ).

LorenzAttractor is exported from Moment of Inspiration (MoI: http://moi3d.com/gallery/) 

Both come in empty in AD.

All my other software reads them fine.

Rhino afaik uses the stoneage Illustrator 10 format for its Exporter and I wouldn't be surprised if MoI does the same.

As a workaround one may use pdf authoring tools to get curve data out. CAD users who want to re-use their existing

linework inside AD were likely served best with an option to import a widely used CAD exchange format, such as dxf.

Hi, I have been using outer -shadow on text...the shadow effect using colours including black are fine but when I selected white, it doesn't work, it just doesn't show up unless I select any other colour other than white.

• Staff

Hi, I have been using outer -shadow on text...the shadow effect using colours including black are fine but when I selected white, it doesn't work, it just doesn't show up unless I select any other colour other than white.

Hi Barnettgs

By default Outer Shadow is applied using a 'Multiply' blend mode (darkens based on the colour below) however as you're using white it will never darken. What you want to do is change the blend mode from 'Multiply' to 'Normal'. To do this click the 'Cog' button next to Outer Shadow on the Layers Panels and then change the 'Multiply' dropdown to 'Normal'.