You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×
Our response time is longer than usual currently. We're working to answer users as quickly as possible and thank you for your continued patience.

No Help > Search field in V2.5.x for Mac?

I know there are some issues with the built-in help in (some?) OS versions so it has at least for now been removed & all help directed to a web-based version, so that may be why the Help menu no longer has a Search field but please consider that for Mac users in earlier versions that field can also be used to highlight & select menu items, so even if there is no built-in help it is still a very useful feature.

Should it not be clear what I mean, below is an example from AD V2.4.x showing all the menu items that include the search word "text"

HelpSearch.jpg.1c1074b430109460f5523578512e01ee.jpg

So please consider adding this functionality back in the Mac versions, even if there is no way to link to the Help Topics.

EDIT: It took me a while to find the older discussion about this at https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/201635-online-help-to-resolve-search-in-macos-that-affects-macos/ but since the retail version of V2.4.2 still has the Search field I have to wonder why we can't have it in the 2.5 version as well....

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.5.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Definitely a bad decision… :/ 
My take on this still stands: 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Absolutely agreed. I rely on the Help >Search to quickly locate and execute commands instead of hunting around the main menu's hierarchical structure, like using macOS's built-in Spotlight Search to quickly execute opening apps, doing simple calculations on the built-in calculator, finding contacts, etc. A quickly accessible CLI is invaluable.

Please return this vital functionality. Thanks for all you do!

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Oh yes, we can't live without it, invaluable and quick help.

I am not here to waste precious time and life on endless discussions. I check in from time to time to see if any miracles happen: bugs are fixed, customer workflows are understood and optimized, algorithms are updated, features are implemented, and usability is improved to match the software standards of 2024.

Let me just reveal that I no longer use Affinity much, as it has become hopelessly outdated. Fortunately, I am not wasting my life here. So far, so good.

• 1 month later...

Glad to see that this issue is being addressed. I rely on that search field to quickly locate different tools and options without having to hunt through the plethora of menus and sub-menus. Hope to see it return in a future version.

I really don't understand the logic in releasing a new version of the app with such a glaring regression in terms of missing basic functionality / feature loss... 1 step forwards, 2 steps back....

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

I want to add my voice here. The help menu search is *essential* functionality for navigating the deep menus. Not being able to execute commands from the help menu massively slows my working speed. Please add this back quickly. 🙏

Thank you!

• Staff

The issue "Help menu's search bar is no longer present" (REF: AF-2594) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.5.3.2514".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Affinity Info Bot to notify us.