You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Latin Spellchecker problems...

1 minute ago, thomaso said:

This makes me still ask how hyphenation works for you on mac in V2 (while I do have the .dic in V1).

I don't wonder that the spelling dictionary is not included, it may simply not be required for filler text because that text is an internal app resource which might be "spell checked" before implementation.

Also note that this app folder …/Resources/Dictionaries/… contains only hyphenation .dic files (but for various languages), no spelling .aff at all.

Sorry, I bungled that reply and corrected it just before you replied. Please see my revised post.

Affinity sets the language to None because if they bundled Latin and set it to Latin for filler text there would still be some red underlines. They included the hyphenation dictionary because filler text needs to be able to support hyphenation. The presence of the Latin hyphenation dictionary finally makes sense to me now so thank you for pointing out this feature of filler text.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

5 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

Affinity sets the language to None because if they bundled Latin and set it to Latin for filler text there would still be some red underlines.

Even if Serif/Affinity would use perfectly spellchecked "Latin" for filler text it is useful to have it set to None because this allows the user to modify the filler text individually within a text frame (e.g. to achieve a specific visual impression, ignoring its sense.). Also, btw, note we may have custom filler text content AND its language which will get set for filler text accordingly if used.

Bildschirmfoto2024-04-18um18_01_23.jpg.9da3daf77819c96d26715a6764b3f235.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

5 hours ago, NathanC said:

I opted to rename the files to 'la_VA.dic' and 'la_VA.aff' based on the advice of MikeTO and then put them in them both in the root of the ~/Library/Spelling/ folder instead of putting them inside another subfolder.

I thought la_VA is what most people used but I didn't know that the region code was optional so we can actually name them la.dic and la.aff which avoids (Vatican City) appearing in the menu. Given that Affinity bundles the Latin hyphenation dictionary as hyph_la.dic I should probably change my naming recommendation to omit _VA.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

4 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

I thought la_VA is what most people used but I didn't know that the region code was optional so we can actually name them la.dic and la.aff which avoids (Vatican City) appearing in the menu. Given that Affinity bundles the Latin hyphenation dictionary as hyph_la.dic I should probably change my naming recommendation to omit _VA.

Any thoughts on the Latin spellchecker replacing all of the letter u's with the letter v?

David

3 hours ago, David Battistella said:

Any thoughts on the Latin spellchecker replacing all of the letter u's with the letter v?

I can't duplicate that with some classical Latin text. Can you provide sample text that I could try?

9 hours ago, MikeTO said:

I can't duplicate that with some classical Latin text. Can you provide sample text that I could try?

Sure Mike, 

thank you for being willing to give this a try. 

here is a portion of the text where the letter u is being converted to the letter v when I change the language to latin with that spellchecker.

Salve, Regina

Salve, Regina, mater misericordiae; vita, dulcedo et spes nostra, salve. Ad te clamamus exsules filii Hevae. Ad te suspiramus gementes et flentes in hac lacrimarum valle. Eja ergo, Advocata nostra, illos tuos misericordes oculos ad nos converte. Et Iesum, benedictum fructum ventris tui, nobis post hoc exsilium ostende. O clemens, o pia, o dulcis Virgo Maria.

1 hour ago, David Battistella said:

here is a portion of the text where the letter u is being converted to the letter v when I change the language to latin with that spellchecker.

Salve, Regina

Salve, Regina, mater misericordiae; vita, dulcedo et spes nostra, salve. Ad te clamamus exsules filii Hevae. Ad te suspiramus gementes et flentes in hac lacrimarum valle. Eja ergo, Advocata nostra, illos tuos misericordes oculos ad nos converte. Et Iesum, benedictum fructum ventris tui, nobis post hoc exsilium ostende. O clemens, o pia, o dulcis Virgo Maria.

Does the original text say ‘Eia ergo’ or ‘Et Jesum’? Having a mixture of U and V seems odd, but it seems just as odd to have a mixture of I and J.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Yes. it is true, things have been conflated through time as J's were introduced. 

Let my try the same text from a totally different source. 

Thank you, always helpful Alfred. 

Here is is Eja ergo and Jesum which could be easily also be Iesum. 

ecclesiastical latin uses 25 characters now but it has been back and forth for centuries. I'd like to see if I can find a latin dictionary which uses the 25 characters. 

David

Salve Regina
Salve Regina, Mater misericordiae,
Vita dulcedo et spes nostra salve.
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Hevae.
Ad te suspiramus gementes et flentes, in hac lacrimarum valle.
Eja ergo advocata nostra, illos tuos misericordes oculos ad nos converte.
Et Jesum benedictum fructum ventris tui nobis post hoc exsilium ostende.
O clemens, o pia, o dulcis Virgo Maria.

Here is a video of what I am seeing on my end, you can see the u's being changed to v's 

This does not occur with the Latin Dictionary in Libre Office for example found here. 

https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/latin-spelling-and-hyphenation-dictionaries

Just adding that in that package from Libre office there are three versions of the Latin dictionaries, classical, universal and another. I have installed on at a time but it seems that Affinity is reading the dictionary in a specific way (different to how it is being read by Libre Office. 

I'll try installing all three to see if that makes a difference.

AFter installing all three dictionaries and giving them different names, I can confirm that what you see in the video persists. So I guess this has something to do with Autocorrection. 

The Dictionary is autocorrecting the text and replacing the u's with v's. There must be a way to turn this off.

Let's see what happens. 

NOPE. Not that either.  

Seems the way Affinity is reading or applying the dictionary is to change the language. 

David

Latin problem was solved. 

It was the FONT EB GARAMOND. 

I fount a "better version of the font here and after replacing the font, the problem no longer exists. 

https://superuser.com/questions/1661252/how-can-i-prevent-u-to-be-rendered-as-v-when-text-is-latin

Hope this somehow helps in some way. 

1 minute ago, David Battistella said:

Latin problem was solved. 

It was the FONT EB GARAMOND.

Wow, fascinating! Who woulda thunk it??

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

So,

now understanding that the hyphenation dictionaries for latin do not seem to be working. From a preliminary search online this seems to be yet another rabbit hole in the Hunspell universe.  :)

One seems to be able to install various hyphenation patterns but i cant seem to figure out where and how one installs a hyphenation pattern in Mac OSX  

thoughts ideas and suggestions are welcome. 

22 minutes ago, David Battistella said:

One seems to be able to install various hyphenation patterns but i cant seem to figure out where and how one installs a hyphenation pattern in Mac OSX

Don't the instructions in the Affinity FAQ work for you, with an appropriate hyphenation dictionary?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

now understanding that the hyphenation dictionaries for latin do not seem to be working. From a preliminary search online this seems to be yet another rabbit hole in the Hunspell universe.  :)

thoughts ideas and suggestions are welcome. 

Affinity bundles hyph_la.dic with the application. I tested it and it's working fine for me. If you open the attached document, does it hyphenate as shown in this screenshot? If so, the Latin hyphenation dictionary is working properly. If not, you've likely installed a Latin dictionary but it's not working and it's overriding the one bundled with Affinity. The solution then would be to delete the one you've installed and restart Affinity.

test.afpub

Screenshot2024-04-20at10_42_50AM.png.ac65f227eaa11995dab2a9dfd11db973.png

Perhaps Automatic Hyphenation is disabled in the Hyphenation section (toward the bottom of the list on the left)?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

My previous experience with hyphenation dictionaries in the user area is that they have no effect
The program comes with hyph_la.dic as Mike notes
It's the only file in C:\Program Files\Affinity\Publisher\Resources\Dictionaries\la

I have added la.dic, la.aff & hyph_la.dic to C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\1.0\Dictionaries\la\
I created a new style based on Body but with the Language and Hyphenation set to Latin

As standard the word suspiramus hyphenates thus:
su-
suspi-
suspira-
suspiramus
After adding sus5p5iram5us to user hyph_la.dic it now does this:
sus-
susp-
suspiram-
suspiramus

Quid mirum

But apart from that is it correct to hyphenate Latin at all?
The language was pretty dead by about 700 AD and Gutenberg didn't print his Bible until 1455

LatinHyphation.png

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

With no style selected it looks the same as yours. 

As soon as I select a style. it looses all formatting. 

That's because the style doesn't have hyphenation set to on or to Hyphenation Language = Latin.

Open the test document I previously shared, select all the text, and set it to Body. It's no longer hyphenated. Edit the Body style and set Hyphenation = Latin and Hyphenation Language = Latin. Here's a screen recording showing how to do this.

51 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

Setting hyphenation language to Latin will do nothing unless you also set Paragraph > Hyphenation > Use Auto-Hyphenation at the same time.

Banal, but I though the half line meant it was checked but then I realised there are three states to that checkbox, off, line and checked. 

Thanks to you and Walt and all who have chimed in on this thread, this is a great community and I am grateful for the assistance. 

David

3 hours ago, David Battistella said:

there are three states to that checkbox, off, line and checked. 

Indeed. Ìn the Edit style dialog, a checkbox with a line inside [–] means No change (in respect with the parent style setting).

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.