You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pencil Tool Improvements

• Staff
17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I tried that a couple of days ago, and found weird behavior on. Windows in V1 and V2.

I drew a curve with the Pencil Tool, then drew a second curve with the Pencil Tool. While drawing that second curve I pressed Ctrl to make the nodes visible so I could adjust them, and the nodes of the first curve highlighted. I haven't finished experimenting with that yet, nor posted it as a bug, but it seems weird.

That's a bug. It should highlight the node´s handles of the object currently being drawn, similar to what the Pen Tool does. It also affects macOS.

29 minutes ago, MEB said:

That's a bug. It should highlight the node´s handles of the object currently being drawn, similar to what the Pen Tool does. It also affects macOS.

Thanks for confirming. I'll report it later today.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 hours ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

Have you tried pressing down ctrl/cmd to temporarily active the Node Tool when using the Pencil Tool? You can move your nodes around and also change the node type and do other commands by R clicking the nodes while it is active.

Yeah, unfortunately that is a really poor user experience (even on the desktop). One of my biggest gripes with v2 on the iPad was the removal of the bottom context bar (it desperately needed a redesign, as well as the option to be hidden/minimized, but it was useable) for the addition of the asinine keyboard shortcut joystick thingy. The iPad is not a desktop computer, and using that silly virtual joystick thing completely takes me out of the drawing experience as I have to look at it each time I use it to remember where each of the virtual keys are, and often where the trigger is in the first place.

10 hours ago, Bryan Rieger said:

One of my biggest gripes with v2 on the iPad was the removal of the bottom context bar (it desperately needed a redesign, as well as the option to be hidden/minimized, but it was useable) for the addition of the asinine keyboard shortcut joystick thingy. The iPad is not a desktop computer, and using that silly virtual joystick thing completely takes me out of the drawing experience as I have to look at it each time I use it to remember where each of the virtual keys are, and often where the trigger is in the first place

Everything that was on the bottom context bar for the Pencil Tool in Designer 1.10 on iPad, is now in the top context bar in V2, except for the width which is now a slider on the left. There's no need to consider the Command Controller at all, as far as I can see, when you're using the Pencil Tool. 

Were you thinking of some other Tool, or have I misunderstood you?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

41 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Everything that was on the bottom context bar for the Pencil Tool in Designer 1.10 on iPad, is now in the top context bar in V2, except for the width which is now a slider on the left. There's no need to consider the Command Controller at all, as far as I can see, when you're using the Pencil Tool. 

Were you thinking of some other Tool, or have I misunderstood you?

I think so, as it was in relation to @Frozen Death Knight's comment (see above) to "press ctrl/cmd to temporarily active the Node Tool when using the Pencil Tool".

Yes, I know where everything is in relation to the context bar (both v1 and v2) and the slider in v2. My comment is in relation to the Command Controller (aka the asinine keyboard shortcut joystick thingy) not being a great experience when drawing with the pencil in the iPad, and was directly related to the comment I quoted.

40 minutes ago, Bryan Rieger said:

Yes, I know where everything is in relation to the context bar (both v1 and v2) and the slider in v2. My comment is in relation to the Command Controller (aka the asinine keyboard shortcut joystick thingy) not being a great experience when drawing with the pencil in the iPad, and was directly related to the comment I quoted.

Thanks for that clarification.

As far as I can see, there was no way in V1 to press the Ctrl key and temporarily switch to the Node Tool unless you had a physical  keyboard. So the Command Controller provides a new function in V2 that did not exist in V1.

And I, for one, like it though I often keep it hidden as I usually do have my keyboard attached. 

But your opinion is your own, of course.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, Bryan Rieger said:

I think so, as it was in relation to @Frozen Death Knight's comment (see above) to "press ctrl/cmd to temporarily active the Node Tool when using the Pencil Tool".

Aha, so this is an iPad specific issue? Your original comment made it sound like it was an issue across the board, which is why I was curious about if you used that shortcut feature. At least on my end the ctrl shortcut for the Node Tool on Windows works pretty well for temporarily activating the tool and making edits like that without any extra commands to complicate things. I suppose it's not as easy on an iPad where there is no conventional keyboard.

This feature enhancement lands solid for numerous reasons. The results are very impressive, giving a result that is nearly as good as manually using the pen tool and placing nodes. It also performs far better than competitor implementations in like Inkscape etc. It hits on all such marks. Similar to the recent 'duplicate on enter' feature that I now use very often, it is a core tool that hits across a very wide set common uses making it an ideal candidate for enhancement.