You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo: Straightening Blueprints

I have a lot of scanned blueprints. These frequently have equally spaced vertical and horizontal lines. During the blueprint, scanning, or microfilm process these lines end up deviating such that the vertical and horizontal lines are not perpendicular.

Is there any simple way in Photo transform an image with a grid of lines into an image where the grid is perpendicular and equally spaced?

The effort depends. In easy cases like a global distortion a simple perspective filter may do the job 

In case you have multiple local distortions it becomes very tedious, a mesh warp filter can do the job but requires hours per image for fine tuning.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

If the blueprints have been scanned with something like a flat-bed scanner, from flat drawings – i.e. the scans are ‘flat’ with no 'z-axis distortions' – then it’s possible that the only thing that is needed is to use the Straighten functionality of the Crop Tool .

Original mesh, skewed and rotated

image.png.78303e997fa2c3577cad3bef84ead24a.png
Fix the rotation with the crop tool as GarryP says
Switch the grid on and unskew the vertical lines with S in the transform panel

image.png.8a43fe86805ed2dffc7709ea35db4e66.png

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

27 minutes ago, JimSlade said:

How do I enable the transform panel? It's visible but everything disabled.

Her is an example of what I have.

The horizontal lines are not at right angles to the vertical lines.

image.jpeg.42691a4da9639fbac5fffa2097578b98.jpeg

Those look like they are perpendicular to me. When I drop it into Affinity Photo and pull guides out they follow along perfectly.

EDIT: Wait, I zoomed in closer and see what you are talking about. The perspective tool should work fine for fixing it.

image.png.f3551ab3abdf82666cc9321d12ce278f.png

You can see in the upper right corner how far I shifted the right side down, leaving a transparent area.

Select the Move tool 'V' on the keyboard, then select image layer and the transform options should become active.

@pixelstuff doesn't the perspective tool distort the original design so that its no longer an accurate facsimile of the scanned document.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

13 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Select the Move tool 'V' on the keyboard, then select image layer and the transform options should become active.

@pixelstuff doesn't the perspective tool distort the original design so that its no longer an accurate facsimile of the scanned document.

It seems to me that is exactly what you want. You already have a distorted scan, you are wanting to reverse distort it basically.

8 hours ago, pixelstuff said:

It seems to me that is exactly what you want. You already have a distorted scan, you are wanting to reverse distort it basically.

I’m not the original poster @JimSlade is. I suppose the question is, does it matter that the blueprints; being distorted when scanned will not be accurate when the scan adjusted in Affinity Photo unless Jim uses a grid set to the correct proportions of the original blueprint. 

how accurate does this need to be?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

9 hours ago, firstdefence said:

so that its no longer an accurate facsimile

47 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

how accurate does this need to be?

If it’s not accurate then it’s not a facsimile! But it was you, not @JimSlade, who mentioned that term.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@Alfred Pixelstuff wrote as if I was the OP I was simply pointing out I was not the OP.

I know I used the term, I wasn't saying Pixelstuff said it, but I'm still waiting for an answer as to the accuracy requirements, I think all of that should be dealt with at the scan stage so no correction is required.

• 4 weeks later...