You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Creating A Manual Color Matching Bleed Around An Object That Has Multi Colored Edges - ie: Mimic What Cricut Design Space Does With Their Bleed

Hello.  I am trying to mimic the built in "Bleed" function that you can select in "Cricut Design Space" when you print your design prior to cutting it out on the Cricut machine.  The Cricut software actually extends the edges of your object about 1/16 on an inch, all around, so that when the blade cuts out the object there is NO white color showing after the cut.  The "Bleed" that Cricut applies in NOT a solid color border, it actually has every color present at the edge of your object. 

I know how to do an offset and add a solid border but this NOT what I want to do.  I found a video where a person actually mimics the "Cricut Bleed" function by manually adding a color matching "Bleed" to the object but they use "Photoshop" and it worked well when my friend tried it on their PC (ie: with PS).  I have a link to the video on "Youtube" that shows the person adding the manual "Bleed" in preparation for cutting a larger than normal object on a Cricut machine.  I tried the process in Affinity Photo 2, but the portion requiring the use of "Content Aware Fill" does NOT work when I use the "In Painting Brush".  Would any of you like to review video and shed some light on how to possibly accomplish the same thing using Affinity Photo 2?  

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Which Affinity application (and version) are you using?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

HiSwvinageon1,

Welcome to the forums :)

I'm not sure if I have fully understood what you are looking for but I believe the attached screen recording should explain how to do this in Affinity. If you have any trouble following it or have any questions feel free to post them here and I'll get back to you asap.

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

@Callum, the workflow with an upsized layer copy works fine for rectangular images and certain shapes only. It appears to fail if the shape changes its angle or with details in an aspect ration other than square/circle … see what happened to the feet/toes …

Bildschirmfoto2024-03-20um19_51_33.jpg.d1e5992f4d4ff4126e83d5c534f8ec90.jpg
Bildschirmfoto2024-03-20um19_51_49.jpg.02733e73908a90313b4575eb12a1688a.jpg

… or the stem of this pear:

Bildschirmfoto2024-03-20um20_02_03.jpg.d646f0013c2ed0308c6d1703d60728fd.jpg

(the required solution would rather work like AD's Contour Tool with vector + combined with APh's Inpainting Brush or Fill.)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

12 hours ago, thomaso said:

see what happened to the feet/toes …

A tardigrade or water bear (Bärtierchen oder Wasserbär) generally has claws, but I don’t think it has feet or toes as such.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

has claws, but I don’t think it has feet or toes as such.

Ah, good point (stroke?) well clawed, therefore they aren't bleeding   😉
[… but might be haemolymphing as such: "The closest recent relatives of the tardigrades are probably arthropods (Arthropoda) and stubby-footed animals (Onychophora)"]

I would suggest this simple approach 

1. duplicate layer
  2. Add Gaussian blur between
  3. add levels adjustment
  4. choose alpha
  5. set white level to zero

this gives a nice bleed around the main object.

IMG_1108.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

The zoom blur gives an even better effect, unfortunately only available as destructive filter.

The center is fixed to center of canvas, so arrange layer to be centered within canvas.

IMG_1110.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

6 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

The zoom blur gives an even better effect, unfortunately only available as [a] destructible filter.

*destructive

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@Alfred My guardian angel of orthography and grammar

1 hour ago, NotMyFault said:
  • add levels adjustment
  • choose alpha
  • set white level to zero

Clever! – Do you know why the alpha adjustment has no effect when it's nested inside the blurred layer, but only outside/above it?

What I did:
Select base layer
<ctrl>J and do +2 on the transform panel width with center point selected and aspect ratio locked
<ctrl>J 20 times
Select all the layers above the base layer and <ctrl>G
Select all the layers within the group
Arrange/Move outside - this reverses the order, well it does on V1
<ctrl>G

Now we have an effect similar to what NotMyFault achieved in far fewer clicks but I prefer the owl who's called Daisy

daisy.jpg

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

59 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Clever! – Do you know why the alpha adjustment has no effect when it's nested inside the blurred layer, but only outside/above it?

Thanks.

did not try, but at least it must be nested to masking position (not child) allowing to impact alpha channel, and this specific combination was broken in V1.

19 hours ago, David in Яuislip said:

Now we have an effect similar to what NotMyFault achieved in far fewer clicks but I prefer the owl who's called Daisy

No. As noted for @Callum's example, simply scaling doesn't solve the problem, unless for pure squared or convex image content. This is one reason why AD requires the "Contour Tool" or "Expand Stroke" instead of simple scaling a shape vs. increasing its stroke. For a scaled result the object's aspect ratio + its various angles may matter a lot.

This is why blurring helps as workaround for a missing inpainting feature to fill empty areas correctly: Blur increases to all sides/directions whereas scale works in one direction only. The level/alpha adjustment is used to convert the transparency caused by the blur back to full opacity in the bleed area.

bleedscalevsblur1.thumb.jpg.0130a1ae96e2b51d1c9b4808c8a3c780.jpg

bleedscalevsblur2.jpg.0351f9b62d906b8e5f6249f8f35bdad5.jpgbleedfakeinpaint.thumb.jpg.9d395ea0f0550767e6330562556590cd.jpgbleedscalevsblur3.jpg.67cfa772415adff1740f10b50c28d9d1.jpg