You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What would it take to get Affinity on Linux?

This is a direct question to the devs and/or moderators here that can answer for them. Not a debate topic.

What conditions would need to be met for Serif to make a linux version of the affinity suite? How much of a global market share would linux need? If Adobe suddenly decides to make a linux version? A kickstarter campaign to guarantee the funds needed, removing all risk? Would it take Serif themselves becoming financially comfortable enough to be able to experiment and expand?

What needs to be done to get a Linux version?

3 minutes ago, MattyWS said:

You may be better off pushing the Wine project to improve their Windows emulation support in the areas that currently prevent the Windows version from working well via that mechanism.

You would *definitely* have been better off adding this to one of the existing threads on the topic rather than forking off yet another pointless duplicate one.

1 minute ago, fde101 said:

You may be better off pushing the Wine project to improve their Windows emulation support in the areas that currently prevent the Windows version from working well via that mechanism.

You would *definitely* have been better off adding this to one of the existing threads on the topic rather than forking off yet another pointless duplicate one.

Wasn't a question about wine or asking serif to make a linux version like the other topics, I'm talking about what conditions need to be met for Serif to make a native version. I'm also not interested in a debate about if it should be done, and the other linux topics have devolved into a bunch of Windows nuts trying to convince everyone that linux sucks. I'm not interested in that noise.

If you aren't interested in the topic, I would say the best thing to do is not get involved in the topic.

7 minutes ago, Return said:

I think nothing has changed since.

Wasn't the question of if they currently have plans and unless you're a developer I don't think you're qualified to answer the question of this topic.

If you aren't interested in the topic, I would say the best thing to do is not get involved in the topic. ^^ I don't wanna come across as a jerk by repeating this, but it seems pretty consistent that any topic here about linux devolves into windows and mac users hating. I don't go into every other topic on this forum to tell people how much I hate their needs, questions or feature requests, I'd suggest everyone not do that either. :)

• Staff

Users are allowed to ask questions on these forums without being discouraged by others. Hovering over any users icon in the desktop version of these forums offers an ignore option (for non Staff). 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

3 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Users are allowed to ask questions on these forums without being told not to by others. Hovering over any users icon in the desktop version of these forums offers an ignore option (for non Staff). 

Or you could simply answer the question.

• Staff

To confirm, I am a moderator of the Affinity Forums - however I'm not a Developer or manager of the Affinity apps, therefore this decision is not mine to make.
I can only provide you with the information we are provided with internally, which I will do my best to summarise below:

2 hours ago, MattyWS said:

What conditions would need to be met for Serif to make a linux version of the affinity suite? How much of a global market share would linux need? If Adobe suddenly decides to make a linux version? A kickstarter campaign to guarantee the funds needed, removing all risk? Would it take Serif themselves becoming financially comfortable enough to be able to experiment and expand?

As far as I understand, we have no current plans for a Linux version, and no current intention for this to change.

We unfortunately cannot comment on your 'what if' scenarios, as not only would this be purely speculative, any such major shifts in the market would likely require a large overhaul of many software companies, including Affinity - and this isn't something that I believe any company would actively plan for or consider, based on the previous market trends.

I am not aware of any current 'goal' or 'criteria' to achieve before the above changes

We are currently interested in continuing to improve and update the Affinity apps across Windows, macOS and iPadOS and are not, at this time, looking to develop for the Linux market.

_________

I do not wish for this post to be seen as a 'definitive answer' as to whether we will, or won't develop for Linux in the future, as this isn't something I can personally say for certain.

As you may have heard before, "You never know what tomorrow brings" and similar to your hypothetical questions in your original post, no one can ever be truly certain of the future and how the ever changing landscape of software development may move our current ideas.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

42 minutes ago, Dan C said:

To confirm, I am a moderator of the Affinity Forums - however I'm not a Developer or manager of the Affinity apps, therefore this decision is not mine to make.
I can only provide you with the information we are provided with internally, which I will do my best to summarise below:

As far as I understand, we have no current plans for a Linux version, and no current intention for this to change.

We unfortunately cannot comment on your 'what if' scenarios, as not only would this be purely speculative, any such major shifts in the market would likely require a large overhaul of many software companies, including Affinity - and this isn't something that I believe any company would actively plan for or consider, based on the previous market trends.

I am not aware of any current 'goal' or 'criteria' to achieve before the above changes

We are currently interested in continuing to improve and update the Affinity apps across Windows, macOS and iPadOS and are not, at this time, looking to develop for the Linux market.

_________

I do not wish for this post to be seen as a 'definitive answer' as to whether we will, or won't develop for Linux in the future, as this isn't something I can personally say for certain.

As you may have heard before, "You never know what tomorrow brings" and similar to your hypothetical questions in your original post, no one can ever be truly certain of the future and how the ever changing landscape of software development may move our current ideas.

That's a fair enough response. If Serif don't want to even think about or consider it then there is nothing else to talk about I suppose. Granted, it's not the response I was hoping for. I was kinda hoping to get an idea on potential milestones that may give some indication of where Serif may be at a turning point on this but I suppose it can't be helped.

• Staff

If you aren't interested in the topic, I would say the best thing to do is not get involved in the topic. ^^

-

54 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Users are allowed to ask questions on these forums without being discouraged by others. Hovering over any users icon in the desktop version of these forums offers an ignore option (for non Staff). 

Please stop advising other users who should or shouldn't post here on the Affinity Forums, this is the role of the moderation team and not yourself as a user.
I'd recommend following the above advice and using the 'Ignore' option if you don't wish to see certain users replies in this thread.

That's a fair enough response. If Serif don't want to even think about or consider it then there is nothing else to talk about I suppose. Granted, it's not the response I was hoping for. I was kinda hoping to get an idea on potential milestones that may give some indication of where Serif may be at a turning point on this but I suppose it can't be helped.

I absolutely understand, and I appreciate you aren't the only Linux user in this boat - I am certain our team will be the first to share any information or plans we have for Linux here on the Forums, if this changes in the future :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!