You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please consider, as with most cad and edit products, the ESC key should release the cursor and the current associated active function.

As an example, when drawing a line, pressing escape should quit the function as if the Move Tool icon had been clicked.

8 hours ago, Pieter van Wyk said:

As an example, when drawing a line, pressing escape should quit the function as if the Move Tool icon had been clicked.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking for, especially given that example. Pressing Esc already terminates drawing the line, whether you're using the Pencil Tool or the Pen Tool.

Can you explain further?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

If I draw lines, pressing Escape does end the line drawing but it does not drop the tool too.

I would like to see that pressing Escape should end the line drawing - great.

But pressing Escape again should then drop the draw tool too so that the mouse action is free to click on an object, selecting it.

I don’t know if there is a particular reason why pressing Escape twice does not select the Move Tool; there may be a specific purpose for it that I’m not aware of.

However, while you are using the Pen Tool, Pencil Tool or the Vector Brush Tool, pressing V will select the Move Tool, which I think does what you want.

51 minutes ago, Pieter van Wyk said:

Esc key to relase the mouse function from any active tools.

But the Move Tool is also a tool. So should there be a release to the Hand tool? Nothing can be done/caused by it except for moving the canvas/document.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

40 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

But the Move Tool is also a tool. So should there be a release to the Hand tool? Nothing can be done/caused by it except for moving the canvas/document.

That is reminiscent of the discussions about why Designer has the Move Tool as the default initial tool, and Photo has the View Tool as the default initial tool, and whether one or the other should be changed. Or whether the default tool should be a user option.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

That is reminiscent of the discussions about why Designer has the Move Tool as the default initial tool, and Photo has the View Tool as the default initial tool, and whether one or the other should be changed. Or whether the default tool should be a user option.

I have raised this internally with our team previously - I'll be sure to 'bump' this now as I am uncertain for the reason they have chosen for the difference in default tools.
This request is either to have Photos default tool be set to the Move Tool to match Designer/Publisher, or allow the users control over their default tool choice in all Affinity apps.

Alongside this, I can certainly see the benefits to being able to 'cancel' out of the current tool and return to your 'default tool' using ESC - whether this is the Move Tool or otherwise, as per the above.
Therefore I'll be sure to raise this with our team also, to be considered for a future update :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

Changing one or the other may displease as many as it pleases! Making it a user option means that users who don’t like the installation default can set their preferred tool as the default by changing it only once, or perhaps once per update.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 minute ago, Dan C said:

This request is either to have Photos default tool be set to the Move Tool to match Designer/Publisher, or allow the users control over their default tool choice in all Affinity apps.

There’s also the question of whether the top left tool in a custom layout should always be the default, or whether the user should be able to nominate the default tool regardless of where it appears in the Tools panel. My personal preference would be the former (but for maximum flexibility and acceptability it should probably be the latter, since putting the preferred tool at top left and then explicitly nominating that tool as the default would only be one extra step, and it’s not something that most users would do very often).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)