You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo 2.4.0.xxx Cannot find image in document. Please, replace View tool to Move tool

I believe this is all working as expected.

The View Tool, as I understand it, is supposed to hide the layer selection to lessen the ‘clutter’ on screen.

And Photo always clips to the canvas (which is why there is no menu item for that) so that’s to be expected also.

As you have seen, selecting the Move Tool lets you see the layer selection.

I don’t think this is a beta problem or, as mentioned above, really a problem at all – you’re just using the wrong tool for what you want to do.

However, I do agree that it would be better (for me at least) if the Move Tool was the default tool but that’s already been requested, many times, in the non-beta section, so I don't see much point in requesting it here also.

4 minutes ago, GarryP said:

you’re just using the wrong tool for what you want to do

Affinity did not give me a choice. They decided for me.

5 minutes ago, GarryP said:

so I don't see much point in requesting it here also

I just gave an example of a problem that could arise. Because I really couldn't find the picture for a long time.

8 minutes ago, anto said:

I just gave an example of a problem that could arise.

Then that should have probably been added to an existing request about this sort of thing, as an extra bit of ‘proof’, rather than making a new thread in the beta section.

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

Then that should have probably been added to an existing request about this sort of thing, as an extra bit of ‘proof’, rather than making a new thread in the beta section.

I can't find this topic. I don't know what it's called

• Staff

As GarryP has said this is By Design because you have the View Tool selected. Dragging an image in won't change your selected Tool, and as Photo's default tool is the View Tool it unfortunately makes it seem as though the image is 'missing'.

As others have mentioned this isn't a beta issue and nor is it considered a bug, as the software is behaving as intended. If you don't like the default tool of Photo then please feel free to post your thoughts in the issue Return has linked to above. :)

2 minutes ago, Sean P said:

If you don't like the default tool of Photo then please feel free to post your thoughts in the issue Return has linked to above.

I can't link to this topic. When I paste the link I get the following instead of the link

00pe.JPG.46764b74f588fe06f56ec04ac72fa335.JPG

1 hour ago, anto said:

Affinity did not give me a choice. They decided for me.

But you want it changed to default to the move tool, so you want to decide what others have to use!

Photo is my main app, there is no way I want the default to be the move tool. I am fine if the devs give a choice for the default.

2 hours ago, Murfee said:

But you want it changed to default to the move tool, so you want to decide what others have to use!

Photo is my main app, there is no way I want the default to be the move tool. I am fine if the devs give a choice for the default.

Pros and cons are already posted in the other topic maybe leave the discussion there.