You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Live Filters in Affinity Designer (Asset)

sansnom

🇬🇧 Hi, here is a asset containing Affinity Photo's Live Filters for Affinity Designer (which by default does not include them).

These contents were therefore created by copy/pasting between the two applications. These contents are classified by family and in the order of appearance in the Layer menu –> New AP Dynamic Filter Layer, with a personalized icon to better distinguish them.

There was a lot of manipulation to create this resource: I hope I didn't make a mistake. Good use… ;-)

🇫🇷 Bonjour, voici une ressource contenant les filtres dynamiques d'Affinity Photo pour Affinity Designer (qui par défaut ne les inclus pas).

Ces contenus ont donc été créés par copier/coller entre les deux applications. Ces contenus sont classés par famille et dans l'ordre d'apparition dans le menu Calque –> Nouveau Calque de filtre dynamique de AP, avec une icône personnalisée pour mieux les distinguer.

Il y a eu beaucoup de manipulations pour réaliser cette ressource : j'espère ne pas m'être trompé. Bonne utilisation… ;-)

image.thumb.png.d5294a20e1f3f1fd38473341bd470015.png

Live Filters.afassets

Mac Mini M1 16Go – macOS 13.6.4

Ah good an updated version of Afan’s work I presume, thank you.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

3 hours ago, Paul Mudditt said:

Ah good an updated version of Afan’s work I presume, thank you.

Thought exactly the same!

4 hours ago, sansnom said:

Hi, here is a asset containing Affinity Photo's Live Filters for Affinity Designer (which by default does not include them).

Good job!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I must be doing something wrong because I cannot get these filters to affect anything when I drag them from the AD V2 assets panel onto a layer. I get a group with a thumbnail image (the custom icon), a rectangle, & the filter, but no matter what I do after that the filter has no effect on anything.

Can someone please show me how they should be used?

Please ignore. I did not notice that the filter layer itself was hidden by default.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

11 minutes ago, Paul Mudditt said:

The assets are merely carriers for the filter layer, so place an asset on screen then move the filter layer out of the layers and position above your layers or nest in your layers, your can then delete the rest of the filter carrier.

Thanks but as my edit to my original post mentioned, what I neglected to notice was that initially the filter is hidden, so after I dragged it out of the parent group, naturally it had no visible effect until I unhid it. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

This is weird! If I pull the live filter out of the parent group, make it visible, & then add that back to the Asset panel as a separate asset in the same category, & then try to use it "containerless" on a layer in either AD or AP v2, the app crashes immediately as soon as I place it in the workspace.

Anyone else seeing something like that?

Affinity Photo 

5 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I think there's a known issue with that kind of Asset.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

This is weird! If I pull the live filter out of the parent group, make it visible, & then add that back to the Asset panel as a separate asset in the same category, & then try to use it "containerless" on a layer in either AD or AP v2, the app crashes immediately as soon as I place it in the workspace.

Yes, it has always crashed hence the use of carrier layers so it will be accepted as a valid asset. 

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I think there's a known issue with that kind of Asset.

Interesting, but I wonder why the 'containerized' version works or if it also would fail if the child filter layer was not initially hidden? 

Anyway, I'm tired of testing things that crash the apps because of the very annoying clearing of the Dock popup recent items menu when the app quits. In V1 I used this feature constantly, as I still do with other apps that support showing recents in the Dock popup.

Affinity Photo 

@sansnom Merci, Sansnom.

It wasn't immediately apparent to me how to use this "live filter asset", (at least in Designer v2.3.1 on a Mac). After dragging one of your assets into my Designer file, I then dragged the actual "live filter layer" out of the asset group to where I wanted it (above or inside the desired layer or group) and it works great. Then I can delete the remaining portion of the asset group that I dragged into Designer. Very convenient, and it saves me the extra step of opening the Designer file in APhoto to apply the Live Filter. 

Thank you for sharing! Maybe there's an easier or better way to use these assets, but this worked for me. 

2017 15" MacBook Pro, 16 MB RAM, Ventura v13.6.6, Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher v1 & v2, Adobe CS6 Extended, LightRoom v6, Blender, InkScape, Dell 30" Monitor, Canon PRO-100 Printer, i1 Spectrophotometer, i1Publish

Hi, sorry if my contribution is not perfect. I tested this asset on my Mac Mini M1 16GB (macOS Ventura 13.6.4) with the latest update of the Serif 2.3.1 suite. Some Live Filters did not work: I did not include them in the pack. Perhaps I should have added a tutorial for using this asset.

I actually don't use this feature, it's @v_kyr who suggested it to me on this post:

I am also in the process of creating another asset for the interface elements of macOS Ventura... but this work is very long and tedious.

@Ldina, I favored an “elegant” presentation for access to each Live Filter, which forced me to add layers for the presentation with a specific icon which, of course, has no use.

NB: I am French and do not have sufficient command of the language of Shakespeare, and often, unfortunately, I am not entirely sure that I can make myself understood well. I translate my texts with Google: sorry.

5 hours ago, sansnom said:

I favored an “elegant” presentation for access to each Live Filter, which forced me to add layers for the presentation with a specific icon which, of course, has no use.

I am not sure about the icon, but as has been mentioned, without the filter layer enclosed in a parent group as you have done, the V2 apps crash immediately if one of the filters is dragged from Assets into the document. So you have presented these filters in what is apparently the only way they can be used until that bug is fixed in the apps.

BTW, your English is fine, & I'm sure a great many of us appreciate the work you have put into creating these assets.Thank you very much for taking the time to create them! 

Affinity Photo 

@R C-R Thank you for your encouragement. As for the pictograms, I admit I did it as quickly as possible and perhaps botched the thing!… I will think about it and present an alternative, with a slightly more “sexy” graphic… on these far too small stickers 41x41px!…

As for my English, we must especially thank GoogleTrad and my written French which is much better!… ;-)

1 hour ago, sansnom said:

I admit I did it as quickly as possible and perhaps botched the thing!…

I do not have any reason to think you did. As has been mentioned, without enclosing the live filter itself into some parent object (group) like you did, the filters crash the apps when dragged from the Assets panel into the document. This is a bug in the apps that you can't do anything about because it is something that the developers will have to fix in the future.

Maybe you could simplify the group you enclosed the filter layers in in some way or possibly make the filter layer visible initially & still avoid the bug but I myself do not want to test doing that because as I said earlier I want to avoid crashing the apps because that clears the Dock popup recent items list in V2, unlike in V1 which does not do that.

Affinity Photo 

🇬🇧 Here is a rework of the Asset, with new icons and the most basic Live Filter integration possible.

Unfortunately, I still had to create subgroups in order to guarantee the largest possible thumbnail (the rendering of Affinity Designer on these thumbnails was difficult for me to understand because it seemed so random to me...).

Good reception and if you find any errors, please share them with the community, I will correct them. But, I'm almost certain that Serif, in his great goodness, will very soon integrate these Live Filters into AD like he did in AP... and who knows, maybe one day, in macOS, we will have the functionality QuickLook with very large and beautiful thumbnails!… ;-)

NB: Serif could also better qualify these .afsssets files with a personalized icon rather than a generic file icon!…

🇫🇷 Voici une reprise de l'Asset, avec de nouvelles icônes et l'intégration du Live Filter la plus élémentaire possible.

Malheureusement, j'ai dû quand même créer des sous-groupes afin de garantir une vignette la plus grande possible (le rendu d'Affinity Designer sur ces vignettes m'a été difficile à cerner tant il est m'a semblé aléatoire…).

Bonne réception et si vous trouvez des erreurs, merci d'en faire part à la communauté, je corrigerais. Mais, je suis presque certain que Serif, dans sa grande bonté, intégrera très prochainement ces Live Filters dans AD comme il l'a fait dans AP… et qui sait, peut-être qu'un jour, sous macOS, nous aurons la fonctionnalité QuickLook avec de très grandes et belles vignettes !… ;-)

NB : Serif pourrait aussi mieux qualifier ces fichiers .afsssets avec une icône personnalisée plutôt qu'une icône générique de fichier !…

image.thumb.png.c757d069b45f3c9820331be8f8d52618.png

Live Filters v2.afassets.zip

2 hours ago, sansnom said:

But, I'm almost certain that Serif, in his great goodness, will very soon integrate these Live Filters into AD like he did in AP...

I would not rely on that ever happening. They have said many times that they intend for each app to include features that the others lack so that the UI can remain (relatively!) uncluttered & focused on one type of work.

As for the new version of your assets I like the icons better but I wonder why you set each of the child filter layers to invisible, which means an extra step to use them. Is there any particular reason for that?

Affinity Photo 

@R C-R, you wrote: “but I wonder why you set each of the child filter layers to invisible, which means an extra step to use them. Is there any particular reason for that?”

In order to have the cleanest and most readable thumbnail possible, and remove as many layers as possible, I carried out tests and ended up deactivating the filter for this reason.

5 hours ago, sansnom said:

🇬🇧 Here is a rework of the Asset, with new icons and the most basic Live Filter integration possible.

@sansnom Fabulous! They work great on my MacBook Pro, Ventura and AD v2.3.1. Thank you very much for all your hard work and for sharing these. 😀

2017 15" MacBook Pro, 16 MB RAM, Ventura v13.6.6, Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher v1 & v2, Adobe CS6 Extended, LightRoom v6, Blender, InkScape, Dell 30" Monitor, Canon PRO-100 Printer, i1 Spectrophotometer, i1Publish

@sansnomWorks great on Windows 11. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3527)