You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

OMG, after using Affinity Designer for years there's still new things to discover.

I don't know when this was introduced, but being able to select two vertices/points and scale the edge/line with a mousewheel on the text fields is just incredible!

Things like this is really what makes Affinity great! Love it! :)

Thanks Serif for really putting the effort into creating intuitive interfaces that are fun to work with!

• Staff

Thanks for your kind feedback :D

17 minutes ago, MmmMaarten said:

being able to select two vertices/points and scale the edge/line with a mousewheel on the text fields is just incredible!

As an added bonus, you can use the CTRL modifier when scrolling the wheel to change the value in 0.1 increments, and the SHIFT modifier to change the value in 10 increments. 

Equally, the Transform and Opacity labels support 'click + drag' gestures, meaning you can adjust the values by clicking and dragging on the field label itself -

We hope these gestures allow our users to make even faster adjustments when editing :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

If it only worked consistently on all platforms. 
This was a major set-back  for me when switching from PC to Mac that it is not available in many places like PT filter.

i really like it where available 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

38 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for your kind feedback :D

As an added bonus, you can use the CTRL modifier when scrolling the wheel to change the value in 0.1 increments, and the SHIFT modifier to change the value in 10 increments. 

Equally, the Transform and Opacity labels support 'click + drag' gestures, meaning you can adjust the values by clicking and dragging on the field label itself -We hope these gestures allow our users to make even faster adjustments when editing :)

Thanks Dan, great tips! Going to implement those in my workflow for sure!

14 minutes ago, Bryan Rieger said:

this doesn't appear supported on macOS

And I'm glad it isn't because there's rarely anything as annoying as values being "magically" changed while I'm inadvertently dragging with a two-finger gesture on the MacBook trackpad.

This is exactly what happens if you have e.g. the Character panel with all subsections open, you want to scroll the panel content and accidentally hover over the Font Size/Tracking/Baseline/Leading Override fields… :/ 

52 minutes ago, Dan C said:

you can adjust the values by clicking and dragging on the field label itself

Yep, I'm totally fine with this option. :) 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

3 hours ago, Bryan Rieger said:

I'm assuming this is Windows only as this doesn't appear supported on macOS. Shame.

Seems to work fine on my Mac Mini and even my iPad !

The selecting the nodes for a second time is new functionality to me which offers accuracy in construction at last.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

3 hours ago, Paul Mudditt said:

Seems to work fine on my Mac Mini

Aaaah!
Yep, using an actual mouse with a scroll wheel does work. (I haven't used one in years…)

Which means… 

6 hours ago, loukash said:

[…] dragging with a two-finger gesture on the MacBook trackpad […] e.g. the Character panel with all subsections open, you want to scroll the panel content and accidentally hover over the Font Size/Tracking/Baseline/Leading Override fields

… is a bug
Two-finger trackpad gesture scroll should be completely excluded from this.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• Staff
On 2/6/2024 at 7:19 PM, loukash said:

Which means… 

On 2/6/2024 at 12:19 PM, loukash said:

[…] dragging with a two-finger gesture on the MacBook trackpad […] e.g. the Character panel with all subsections open, you want to scroll the panel content and accidentally hover over the Font Size/Tracking/Baseline/Leading Override fields

… is a bug
Two-finger trackpad gesture scroll should be completely excluded from this.

Testing this here on macOS, I can see that certain field inputs accepts a trackpad gesture (such as the Font size field on the Context Toolbar), however other fields don't accept this gesture (Transform Studio, Stroke Studio etc) and this should be consistent throughout IMO.

I'm getting this logged as a bug with our team now - in the report I'm going to identify the inconsistencies throughout the app and request that the gesture works for all fields. Alongside this I will be requesting for this to be controlled with a new Tool Preference option, allowing the user to disable the feature across all fields when using a trackpad.

This would allow users who are already using the gesture in the currently support fields to continue with the same workflow, but with the option to disable the behaviour for users that don't want to accidentally trigger this and change values when scrolling through a Studio, for example.

Once these changes are then implemented, I'll request the helpfile is adjusted to include Trackpad support, listed alongside the mouse scroll wheel support - as well as coverage of the new preference option requested.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

30 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Alongside this I will be requesting for this to be controlled with a new Tool Preference option, allowing the user to disable the feature across all fields when using a trackpad.

Excellent! :) 

51 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Alongside this I will be requesting for this to be controlled with a new Tool Preference option, allowing the user to disable the feature across all fields when using a trackpad.

I once wished an option that would either require input focus before performing mouse-wheel based value adjustment, or alternatively, e.g. 500ms delay within a certain hover delta tolerance that would be enough to indicate that wheel was scrolled to adjust a value. I have learned to beware of inadvertent value adjustments but it still happens occasionally. It is fine to have it operating as it does now, but this kind of an option would be welcome.