You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to fix "missing font" when exporting publisher to PDF?

I had subscribed to Indesign, to have access to Adobe fonts, and quit it recently.

Today I needed to make a correction in a publisher file before exporting it to PDF, and the "Preflight Warnings" is saying that there is a missing font and it needs to be fixed. It shows that the missing font is BaskervilleURW-Reg. What do I need to do to fix it? When I click on "fix" on the right side of "Missing font," a dialogue box opens (Font Manager), and it seems I can choose a font to replace the missing font there. Do I simply choose a font there and click on "Close"? Does this take care of the missing font error? 

What happens if I do not take of "missing font" and export it to PDF? I just did this and am going through the PDF to see whethere there are any texts that have been damaged/mangled, that do not appear normal. But of course this can't be trusted as a way to look for errors. 

It seems I didn't use that "BaskervilleURW-Reg" font anywhere in the file. If it was used, it has to be in the Headings, and none was in that font. Are there ways to go to the places in the file where "missing font" was used?

missing font.png

5 hours ago, Amy Choue said:

What do I need to do to fix it? When I click on "fix" on the right side of "Missing font," a dialogue box opens (Font Manager), and it seems I can choose a font to replace the missing font there. Do I simply choose a font there and click on "Close"? Does this take care of the missing font error? 

No, Font Manager just lets you assign a "temporary" font to replace the missing one, so you can print or export your document. You will still get the preflight error warning you that the original font is unavailable on your system.

5 hours ago, Amy Choue said:

It seems I didn't use that "BaskervilleURW-Reg" font anywhere in the file. If it was used, it has to be in the Headings, and none was in that font. Are there ways to go to the places in the file where "missing font" was used?

Yes, you use the Find & Replace dialog

Use the Cog menu and under Fonts change the ALL dropdown to Missing

Then in the Font Family dropdown you can select the missing font

Click OK in that dialog to close it and then click Find in the Find & Replace panel

You will then get a list of all the occurrences that missing font is located in your Document. Clicking any of those occurrences will take you to the page where that font is used

You can then change it manually or if you prefer you can use the same Find & Replace panel to assign a new font to replace the missing one for all occurrences where that missing font is found

Either way, this change is permanent and preflight will no longer give an error for that missing font

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

In the Find & Replace dialog you will see a Cog wheel icon next to Find, click that to bring up the Cog menu/dialog

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

6 minutes ago, carl123 said:

n the Find & Replace dialog you will see a Cog wheel icon next to Find

Thanks! I didn't know there was "Find and Replace" in Publisher. 

But am I at the right place? I clicked the Cog icon and opened a dialogue, but don't seem to see Font here. 

find and replace.png

Sorry, you have to click Format first, the 1st item in your list

(I forgot that step)

Yes

9 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Sorry, you have to click Format first, the 1st item in your list

May I ask one last question? This below is what I got after clicking "Find." and none of these, when clicked, takes me to its occurrence in the text. And it shows something (Editor's Afterword) that has been deleted. Can it be that Publisher shows the usage of fonts, even when they were replaced by other fonts?  

list .png

Someone may need to see the document to see what those Find results are pointing to

If you can't upload the document here, the support staff will give you a Dropbox link so you can send it directly to them

3 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Someone may need to see the document to see what those Find results are pointing to

I manually went to the Chapter headings to see whether any of them has to do with the missing font. And I realized that, Chapter headings were originally "Chapter I, II, III, etc." as that panel above shows them, but then I had changed them to "I, II, III, etc." I remember I tried a number of different fonts for the initial "Chapter I, II, III, etc.," and the missing font must have been one of them. After I changed them to "I, II, III..." though, I updated them all under one font (as the way it is done). 

So it seems Publisher somehow shows the past usage of fonts (which now are not used) in its preflight warnings. It would be great to know for certain though. I would appreciate any comments. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2024 at 2:26 AM, carl123 said:

Yes, you use the Find & Replace dialog

Use the Cog menu and under Fonts change the ALL dropdown to Missing

Then in the Font Family dropdown you can select the missing font

Missing doesn't seem to be an option for me:

image.png.6d89fc3450665b1017a1dd4afd8673f8.png

Am I in the right menu? The only place I've seen "missing" is in the Font Manager, and all you can do is locate one at a time and then manually change it. It would be nice if one could do find and replace missing and unwanted fonts directly from the Font Manager panel.

Here's another screen capture to show that I get the same result after locating the missing font:

image.png.f71a0a31003e5cf1ae23b34abfda3061.png

Edited by Joansz
show another screen capture with missing font

25 minutes ago, Joansz said:

Here's another screen capture to show that I get the same result after locating the missing font:

I’m confused, not that it takes much! Your second screenshot shows a list of fonts with Accent SF as the chosen font, but the Font Manager dialog shows a different list with Aptos marked as missing.

The first list comprises fonts that were all (with the possible exception of Adobe Devanagari) distributed with Serif’s legacy ‘Plus’ applications. Aptos is a font which is made available to Microsoft Office products, so it’s probably a ‘cloud’ font that isn’t intended to be used outside of MS Office.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

42 minutes ago, Joansz said:

Am I in the right menu?

Are you following the instructions and starting from the Find and Replace panel, then using the Cog icon for the Find field?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Are you following the instructions and starting from the Find and Replace panel, then using the Cog icon for the Find field?

@Joansz Refer to https://affinity.help/publisher2/en-US.lproj/pages/Panels/findReplacePanel.html (or whatever language version works best for you). Note that this panel is hidden by default & can be opened via the V2 Windows menu.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5 hours ago, Alfred said:

Aptos is a font which is made available to Microsoft Office products, so it’s probably a ‘cloud’ font that isn’t intended to be used outside of MS Office.

Right now Aptos is Office 365 only.
You do not even get it with Office 2024 (normal install).

And being a cloud font it is not available to other applications like Affinity.
So Aptos is always going to be "missing"and will need to be replaced.

@Joansz 
They did make available a few (10) of the Aptos fonts here:
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/7566-aptos-font.html

That does not have all the styles, but it does include the Regular you appear to be using.
Those will be available in Affinity.

You may have to un-install the cloud versions or you may have name conflicts.

And... you can find the cloud font files, and select them all, and then right-click, and select Install for All Users.
That installs them in the normal Windows Fonts folder.
Then delete the cloud fonts folder for that family.

• 2 weeks later...

"Are you following the instructions and starting from the Find and Replace panel, then using the Cog icon for the Find field? "

Thank you. Sorry for my late reply, but since there were just a few spots that I had to replace fonts, I just did it manually. But I've noted that for future, which will help going forward.