You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where is the lasso selection tool in Designer?

I can find it in Photo (it's a lasso icon) but I can't find it in Designer.

The default box selection method in Designer is always "inside" which is so limiting, and I also don't see any quick switch icons for doing "crossing" or a combination of both...

But that's unusable for curves?

Also, it's infuriating how there's no exclusive modifier key for de-selecting, since the shift button toggle often toggles on things you don't want because the selection is so inaccurate (or "generous" if you want to do a positive spin on it). 😩

1 hour ago, eobet said:

Also, it's infuriating how there's no exclusive modifier key for de-selecting, since the shift button toggle often toggles on things you don't want because the selection is so inaccurate (or "generous" if you want to do a positive spin on it). 😩

AFAIK such finer grade selections are only available on a nodes selection base (when using the Node tool for nodes selections), at least for ADe v1 ...

sel1.png.da1ff469a662b03d5bb565bccffe6cca.png

For common Move tool based curves selections there's just the common rectangle way with ...

sel2.png.16ddb0cdc7c46154acd7deb4328324fe.png

... or via selecting curve layers via the layers panel. - Shift-Clicking for adding/removing curves from selections works Ok for me (as far as objects are big enough to be easily clicked on) and using Ctrl-/Cmd-D for dismissing selections.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

2 hours ago, eobet said:

It's a Pixel selection tool, and not relevant for Curves.

As v_kyr mentioned, try the Nodes Tool.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...

The lack of a lasso tool for selecting vector graphics is a huge deficiency in Designer (v1 or v2).  The programmers for Inkscape also decided that a lasso tool was unnecessary.  This is the main reason why Designer (and Inkscape) can't compete with Illustrator or CorelDraw.  For the type of complex vector graphics I design, a rectangle selector is not accurate enough for selecting fine parts of a drawing or illustration.  Someone at Affinity needs to listen to their customers and maybe someday they will really be able to compete with the best vector graphics programs.  I'm hoping that this deficiency can be corrected in a coming update to v2 of Designer, and then I can finally retire my rather old CorelDraw app.  I did purchase the v2 suite of Affinity programs even knowing that Designer would be mostly unusable to me.

Affinity does have a Lasso Node selection option under the Node Tool.

image.png.de7f1257b5f25074582d084d4c480395.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thank you for your quick response!  In Affinity Designer for Windows, the node tool allows for the selection of an object by clicking and dragging a rectangular marquee to select nodes (or parts of objects).  If, after at least one node or object is selected, the Alt key is then pressed (shift + Alt does the same thing) and the node tool is then clicked and dragged, then the rectangular marquee acts as a lasso for the apparent selection of additional objects.  However, while the behavior of this lasso is like a free-form selection tool, it actually selects nothing in addition to what has already been selected.  So yes, a lasso tool appears after one object is pre-selected, but it has no function other than to select certain nodes in the already selected object.  What I need is to select objects, not nodes.  Again, I ask if anyone knows if Designer has a true lasso section tool?  I sure hope I've missed a well-hidden feature that is sorely needed!

Edited by GregTH9457

28 minutes ago, GregTH9457 said:

Again, I ask if anyone knows if Designer has a true lasso section tool?

There is nothing other than what has already been mentioned.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

11 minutes ago, GregTH9457 said:

Please, Affinity development team, give us a lasso selection tool for vector graphics!

The appropriate place for this request is the Feedback & Suggestions forum where the developers will see it. (They probably won't here in the Questions forum.)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 2/16/2024 at 5:08 PM, GregTH9457 said:

The lack of a lasso tool for selecting vector graphics is a huge deficiency in Designer (v1 or v2).

There is a lasso version using the node tool, choose the node tool, hold & keep holding the alt/option key, draw around the nodes you need to select... it doesn't keep an outline like the pixel lasso tool but you can see where you are selecting... no need to click on any nodes just draw around them

10 minutes ago, Murfee said:

There is a lasso version using the node tool, choose the node tool, hold & keep holding the alt/option key, draw around the nodes you need to select...

That does not do what @GregTH9457 was asking for -- it will only select nodes but not other vector objects like quick shapes that do not have nodes.

Affinity Photo