You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer - desktop

Yes just press backslash ( \ ) on the keyboard

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I did not think Clip to Canvas was relevant/available in documents containing Artboards

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

15 minutes ago, carl123 said:

I did not think Clip to Canvas was relevant/available in documents containing Artboards

It's not.

4 hours ago, Markee said:

I've just moved an item into the surrounding desktop and now can't see it

Is it entirely off of the Artboard, or is it partly on the Artboard and partly on the pasteboard? The latter (partly on, partly off) won't work.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

With clip to canvas not selected I can see objects on the pasteboard (regardless of whether they are entirely or party on the pasteboard).

I've simply made an A4 document. Is this an artboard? It sounds like an object can't be seen in documents containing Artboards?

Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 3.43.25 pm.png

43 minutes ago, Markee said:

I've simply made an A4 document. Is this an artboard?

NO, if not during new document creation explicitely checked to be treated as an artboard, instead of a common document.

For Artboards, how to create and work with them, take a look at the ADe v2 Online Help. - And there see further ...

Another valuable point is, to always first search concrete on the forum here after certain theme topics, since most of them have been often already be asked and answered before. - You can use the forum's search facility, or a plain Google search etc.

Example for a search via Google's search engine after...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

@Markee, you may find it helpful to refer to the About layers help topic, which includes a list of layer types & the icon in the Layers panel each of them displays. So for example an Artboard layer will display the artboardicon.jpg.7cb7a754b00675a617333665ea4db9a4.jpg icon.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 12/22/2023 at 11:20 AM, Markee said:

see items moved off the artboard and on to the dark grey 'desktop' around the artboard? I've just moved an item into the surrounding desktop and now can't see it

There is a special situation with objects outside Artboard Layers. If the option "Edit All Layers" in the bottom left corner of the Layers Panel is disabled you can edit them there, otherwise they may get auto-moved into and Artboard layer. If bleed is activated for the document then those objects get a bleed area displayed that covers all artboards of the document.
Also, those layers get handled differently on export: While an export via menu "Edit" -> "Export…" does export such items on the artboards they touch, on export via the Export Persona they require extra slices to get exported and the touched artboards don't display them.

artboards.thumb.jpg.23f4a9ea0f36d63752425d71c0f3df2b.jpg

18 hours ago, v_kyr said:

take a look at the ADe v2 Online Help. - And there see further ...

The Help shows a picture of "artboards" without names – while I am unable to hide them in my documents. If an Artboard Layer gets its name deleted in the Layers Panel than the object type "Rectangle" gets displayed in the main window and the Context Toolbar and no name seems to be impossible. – Am I missing an option to hide artboard names … or is the picture in Help rather a simulation of a main window content and thus possibly misleading regarding the understanding of "artboard" as object type?

Also the description "Artboards are discrete design areas, of any shape (…)" sounds confusing to me. At least in V1 (same help text) an artboard can't have a shape other than a Rectangle and a deviating shape gets auto-turned to a rectangle if the option of the Artboard Tool to "Insert" an Artboard from "Selection" gets used.

artboardshelp.jpg.b3b922e7c288b0d5349ce6e5c6139a41.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1