You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher resulting file sizes - HUGE

StrixCZ posted a similar question a year ago, but got no response. So, here I go. 

The file sizes created by Affinity 1.10.8 are ridiculous, and will most likely prevent me from saying goodbye to Adobe Cloud! I've spent hours trying to figure out why an InDesign document is 3.7 MB (with a 17 x 11 PSD placed for the image) and the exact document created from scratch in Publisher is 14.6 MB (using a jpeg NOT the PSD file.

The PDFs created by Publisher are also incredibly HUGE. I first imported the IDML; Publisher file created was 30.5 MB. Then, I imported the PDF created using InDesign, that file is 27.4 MB. I am glad I have not upgraded to Affinity suite 2.0, as it looks like ther is no way I can use Publisher with my workflow. All CMYK. I publish a 12" x 24" calendar, and the PDF created by Publisher is 221 MB, yet the PDF created by InDesign is 60 MB!

So unhappy about this, but those file sizes make it impossible to use the Affinity suite for the amount of work I do - I also create a digital magazine, and the .AFPUB files are much much larger than my .INDD files.

Screenshot_FileSizes_Comparison.jpg

Hi Leslie. I don't find the file sizes too large and mine are very small. I have two large and complex books of several hundred pages each, both with several hundred photos. The afpub files are 4MB and 10MB. The 10MB file has very high-resolution TIFF images that I haven't optimized yet and it's 150,000 words yet it's only 10MB.

If you're finding your afpub files are too large then I recommend checking that you haven't accidentally embedded some images - open the Resource Manager and sort by Placement. You can also check your document's image policy setting in Document Setup. Also, ensure you haven't accidentally turned on File > Save History With Document which will bloat files.

The size of the PDFs will depend entirely on your settings and it's hard to compare ID and AfPub without seeing screenshots of your PDF export settings from both apps to ensure you're comparing apples to apples. I wouldn't be surprised if Publisher's PDFs aren't as small as Adobe - they haven't had as many years to optimize them - but you'd have to share the settings to make that comparison.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

13 hours ago, MikeTO said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Publisher's PDFs aren't as small as Adobe - they haven't had as many years to optimize them

As far as I know, Affinity uses the PDFlib library.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 4 months later...

I'm noticing the same thing. The same artwork in an Indesign file is like 4mb and the Publisher version is 40mb. Will have to hold off on buying Publisher 2 until I can figure out why this is the case.

7 hours ago, Arsh said:

I'm noticing the same thing. The same artwork in an Indesign file is like 4mb and the Publisher version is 40mb. Will have to hold off on buying Publisher 2 until I can figure out why this is the case.

I don't know exactly, but I suspect that the Affinity programs store pixel files uncompressed in memory, and also store them uncompressed in the documents when they are added embedded.

A Serif moderator or developer may be able to provide more precise information here.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

1 hour ago, Komatös said:

and also store them uncompressed in the documents when they are added embedded.

The degree of compression of images when exporting to PDF is set here:
image.png.489b2e6fa0e8656c1521c87fbd1365d0.png

This also significantly affects the size of the resulting files, so without knowing the parameters of the exports, comparing the outputs is completely pointless.

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Can you tell us why large pdf is not acceptable for you?

Have you exported an IDML or packaged the InDesign file and opened the IDML in Publisher?

I would make sure all the parameters of export are the same or close.

Personally, I make all pdfs as large as possible with no compression, I find for my RIP systems (Founder Elecroc, Prinergy, Fiery) not having to decompress files works quicker at the time of ripping.

1 hour ago, Rodi said:

Many people generate PDFs to distribute over the internet.  The larger the PDF is, the more bandwidth is consumed by each user who downloads it, each time they download it, and the longer it will take to download - making users wait unnecessarily long does not help to keep them happy.

Many companies hosting files for people to download also pay for bandwidth, meaning that smaller files are cheaper to offer.

3 hours ago, Pšenda said:

The degree of compression of images when exporting to PDF is set here:
image.png.489b2e6fa0e8656c1521c87fbd1365d0.png

This also significantly affects the size of the resulting files, so without knowing the parameters of the exports, comparing the outputs is completely pointless.

The Quality setting when exporting JPEGs is so strange. I regularly deal with this:

1. I open a jpg file.
  2. I make a simple adjustment (set curves, crop to smaller size).
  3. I save export the file (Bicubic resample, Quality 85).
  4. The file size does not match my expectations.
  5. I'll use a compression program (like RIOT on Quality 85) to reduce the file to a reasonable size (usually half).

I have serious doubts about the quality of the compression algorithm used.

Edited by bures
Repair Save for Export

11 minutes ago, bures said:

The Quality setting when exporting JPEGs is so strange. I regularly deal with this:

1. I open a jpg file.
  2. I make a simple adjustment (set curves, crop to smaller size).
  3. I save the file (Bicubic resample, Quality 85).
  4. The file size does not match my expectations.
  5. I'll use a compression program (like RIOT on Quality 85) to reduce the file to a reasonable size (usually half).

I have serious doubts about the quality of the compression algorithm used.

The Quality setting is not saved in a JPG file. It can be inferred (guessed), but it is not stored as a distinct value.

Affinity Photo does not try to guess. If you Open a JPG, and Save it (rather than Exporting), Photo uses a Quality setting of 100 to try to preserve as much information as possible. If you want a different Quality value, you need to Export and specify it yourself, rather than Saving.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

24 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Affinity Photo does not try to guess. If you Open a JPG, and Save it (rather than Exporting), Photo uses a Quality setting of 100 to try to preserve as much information as possible. If you want a different Quality value, you need to Export and specify it yourself, rather than Saving.

I wrote Save, but of course I meant Export (as you can see from my bracketed text).

The quality of the compression algorithm in Affinity applications is not the best.

12 hours ago, Rodi said:

Have you exported an IDML or packaged the InDesign file and opened the IDML in Publisher?

I would make sure all the parameters of export are the same or close.

Personally, I make all pdfs as large as possible with no compression, I find for my RIP systems (Founder Elecroc, Prinergy, Fiery) not having to decompress files works quicker at the time of ripping.

I wasn't referring to the PDF file size. I was referring to the Publisher file itself vs the Indesign INDD file. 

7 hours ago, Arsh said:

I wasn't referring to the PDF file size. I was referring to the Publisher file

So isn't it better to use one of the many threads dealing with native Affinity files size, including comments from developers/moderators, rather than using the thread about PDF export?

11 hours ago, Arsh said:

I wasn't referring to the PDF file size. I was referring to the Publisher file itself vs the Indesign INDD file. 

I was asking Leslie A as she seems to have a similar workflow as I do.

I would add if I need to shrink files I use two programs to reduce file size, Qoppa PDF Studio has a great optimize feature that gets most files shrunk in size... when that doesn't work I go to Callas PDFToolbox, and it will really shrink the worst of em. That is mostly for emailing

21 hours ago, fde101 said:

Many people generate PDFs to distribute over the internet.  The larger the PDF is, the more bandwidth is consumed by each user who downloads it, each time they download it, and the longer it will take to download - making users wait unnecessarily long does not help to keep them happy.

Many companies hosting files for people to download also pay for bandwidth, meaning that smaller files are cheaper to offer.

I understand that, I but I also regularly download large pdfs (hobby stuff) and waiting doesn't bother me in this day and age. Dial up, paging dial up. I remember when sending a one page document to service bureau took a couple hours or more!

On 4/25/2024 at 2:56 AM, Pšenda said:

So isn't it better to use one of the many threads dealing with native Affinity files size, including comments from developers/moderators, rather than using the thread about PDF export?

No that's not better at all. Why did you even chime in? This thread is literally about the same issue I am having. Did you even read the post? 

"So unhappy about this, but those file sizes make it impossible to use the Affinity suite for the amount of work I do - I also create a digital magazine, and the .AFPUB files are much much larger than my .INDD files."

So Arsh,
why does file Publisher file size matter to you? How does it impact your workflow? I am very interested in this. I have in my mind some scenarios where it would be a difference, especially as a file gets larger, meaning complexity and number of pages. Are you in a workgroup or some sort of collaboration?

I think of Publisher  more in terms of quick and low volume, where you need to check folios, folding panels, open or import a pdf for adjustment when there is no other way. I find I do use it a lot and sometimes I get a big question mark. For instance, I love the zoom on it for panels, but sometimes it doesn't work exactly as I would hope so.

I have had high hopes for Publisher especially and I want it to continue to mature. I can't replace the rental scheme software but Affinity Suite is priced where I can afford to upgrade as needed (plus lots of extras). For my purposes it saves me lots of time on otherwise impossible situations. PDFs that need a lot of editing beyond the scope of Acrobat or Pitstop, files that will be updated in the future too, where you pay in time once and then it is much easier.

I have regular "issues" with Publisher, but it has not deterred me in using it. Importing a one color spot document and adjusting for panels exports as Process, rgghhh.

I have regular issues with InDesign, no select similar fill/stroke? C'mon! Importing pdfs is so 90s compared to Publisher. Multiple size pages in a document? Freehand did that, Publisher does that, InDesign, no go. InDesign no longer accepts Postscript Type 1 fonts. I have a huge library of bought Type 1 fonts. I still use InDesign.

21 hours ago, Arsh said:

Did you even read the post? 

Yes, I read, and since you wrote "until I can figure out why this is the case", I recommended you to look for one of the many threads discussing native Affinity file size, including comments from developers/moderators. But if you found all the information in this thread, dealing mainly with exporting to PDF, then everything is fine. Best regards.