You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Update 2.3.0.2139 destroys all icons in the taskbar

• Staff

For our reference, same as the above.

@anto We have discussed this internally to some extent and nobody can or has reproduced this. We can only assume (and it is an assumption) that there is some other software causing this on your machine.

I had a similar instance a few months ago where my desktop icons would not appear on my taskbar and it was being caused by a Startup application called Razer Synapse. Once I had repaired and reinstalled this app, I never saw the issue again. Perhaps something similar is happening for you. Although, saying that, when I restarted the machine, they would occasionally appear again—but not always.

Do they disappear when the first app was updated or only when all three had updated?

• 3 weeks later...

I can't test this personally as I no longer have a Windows machine, but you could try rebuilding your icon cache. Here's an article I found via Google but I can't test it.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-reset-icon-cache-database-windows-10

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Same here, but I don't consider it a big deal. I've had to do that for other programs too. I try to remember to unpin them before updating, then pin them again once updated.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Chris B said:

I wonder if this is relevant:

I did check this yesterday but my settings were already set to Always for both Combine taskbar buttons and hide labels & Combine taskbar buttons and hide labels on other taskbars

It doesn't appear to be the same issue? My icon turns to a sheet of paper (bad link). Next time I'll check what that icon actually does claim to link back to. When I used to try to activate it, I seemed to remember it would throw an error before which is what caused me to delete the link. I'll test it more extensively next time before removing to see if it just is a matter of the programs temporarily not being "found" on the machine and the link breaking? This is just my speculation.

FWIW, I do have always combine for taskbar icons set. It keeps my things tidy:

image.png.43844754186b3b334dd0f4169ad07457.png

Not sure if this comment is of any help (and I didn't read all comments above, so please forgive me if it's already in there), but just in case;

I never encountered this issue (and had all versions 2 installed up to 2.3.1 now). I'm only using the EXE-installers (so never the MSIX installers) and I am on Windows 11 pro. Maybe the issue only appears on Windows 10 and/or the MSIX type installers? Just a thought. Maybe it helps

• Staff
12 hours ago, debraspicher said:

It doesn't appear to be the same issue?

You are right, however, I just thought that if we can start gathering info on the Taskbar settings that everyone is using it might shed some light on these two issues that we're seeing.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Chris B said:

I would consider it to be a lower priority compared to other bugs which may explain why it hasn't been fixed yet. I will update the creport with the current version for you.

No, it's not a priority for me. I've just restored all the icons for the 3rd or 4th time.

As for writing code for new features, there shouldn't be any problems at all. ChatGPT has already written 3 WordPress plugins for me, and this is despite the fact that I am not a programmer. And what happens if a developer communicates with it and explains everything? Well, he may not write the whole code, but he can easily write simple actions in blocks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2024 at 10:55 AM, Chris B said:

I would consider it to be a lower priority compared to other bugs which may explain why it hasn't been fixed yet. I will update the creport with the current version for you.

2.4.0 The same bug.

It's not funny anymore. If you don't know how to do this, then tell the developers not to move the system tray and not to put icons there. If you can, then please fix this problem.
Why is this a lower priority than spirals?

0000.JPG.801ab3e9d9c8fc4bf3d028efacc1d2b8.JPG

• 2 weeks later...