You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo 2.2.1.2063 always crashes when there is not enough disk space (using Develop and NEF-files)

I have photo .NEF

When I open it and click Develop, Photo closes. I don't do any effects.
Any NEF photo that I just open and click on Develop, Photo crashes.

Windows 10

Edited by anto
I changed the topic "Photo 2.2.1.2063 always crashes using Develop and NEF-files" to the correct one, as the original topic was a consequence of the current reason

Hi @anto,

This sounds as though it may be Windows specific. I've just tested a bunch of .NEF files in both 2.2.1.2063 and 2.2.1.2075 and I'm not experiencing any crashes in either...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse

• Staff

Hi Anto, Please can you confirm that the same file has no problem in 2.2.0 release?

Can you please upload a crash report

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Can you please upload a crash report

There was no report. But it turned out that I didn't have enough space on my C drive. And Photo closed without any warning, without even saying why. I freed up some space and clicked on Develop. Photo did not close. Now I'll try to free up more disk space and check again.

3 hours ago, anto said:

There was no report. But it turned out that I didn't have enough space on my C drive. And Photo closed without any warning, without even saying why.

It looks like during a develop task it doesn't check whether there is even enough free disk space for the operation, and it probably doesn't even know approximately how much disk space would then be needed to complete that task. So instead, it simply crashes silently when there is not enough swap space on the hard drive.

What has probably to be done here is, to check for this during develop in a try/catch statement (... the HResult and test against ERROR_DISK_FULL (0x70) and ERROR_HANDLE_DISK_FULL (0x27) ) ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

While I was working with Photo, I was also working in Publisher. And I remember that when there was not enough space, Publisher gave a message that the file should be closed. (Unfortunately, I did not take a screenshot of it). This message could only be closed with the file, there was no way to cancel it. If it were possible, it would be better to add an undo button to try to free up disk space and try to save the file again to avoid losing data.
Fortunately, I already know this, so I saved the file after each operation.

It sounds like you may need to free up a significant amount of space on drive C. How much do you have available there, in general? And how much is free on other local drives?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Interesting. You might take a look at the temp folder for the application and see how much space it's using.

There is a "temp" folder in the data for each application, but where it is located will depend on the application release (2.0, 2.0 (Beta)) and on whether you have installed using the MSIX or EXE version. For example, for Publisher 2 beta using the MSIX it's here: C:\Users\your-username-here\.affinity\Publisher\2.0 (Beta)\temp

For the EXE-based version I think it would be in %appdata%\Affinity\Publisher\2.0 (Beta)\temp\

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

You could check the others, too, in case they're the cause of your loss of usable storage.

-- Walt
PC:

8 hours ago, anto said:

It seems that Photo crashes when there are no free space on disk. With NEF works well. That's good.

You can disregard this is it doesn't apply, but if you were ever using Nikon's software (Capture NX in particular), it will save massive files to the Window's /Pictures folder that don't self-delete. My folder was overflowing with TIFFs (100+ MB). Just an FYI for you and others who may happen across the thread.

Also take periodically a look after temporary files which are stored in the “AppData\Local\Temp” folder. However, this can take up several GB of your memory. If you need free space, you can easily delete the contents of the folder. Only a few steps are necessary.

1. Press the keyboard shortcut “Windows” key + “R” to open the Run dialog.
  2. In the text field, enter “%temp%” without quotation marks and press the “Enter” key.
  3. The file explorer will then open directly and the Temp folder will be displayed.
  4. Now you can use the key combination “Ctrl” + “A” to select all entries within the folder.
  5. Now press the “Delete” key to delete the selected files. If files are currently being used by the operating system, you cannot remove them at the moment. In this case, in the window that appears, check the “Perform operation on all current items” option at the bottom and click the “Skip” button.
  6. Once you restart the computer, you can also delete the remaining files within the folder.
  7. Since files keep accumulating in the Temp folder after a while, you should empty it regularly.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "Photo does not warn if there isn't enough HDD space" (REF: AF-741) has been fixed by the developers in build "2.4.0 Release".
This fix is in the current customer release.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us