You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

HELP – can't make archival backup copy of Affinity files!

Dear Affinity software engineers,

If I open a Affinity file and make a new file via "save as", no archive bit is placed for the file document in window’s file manager "explorer".

To tag this archive bit is crucial for making daily archival backup copies of my changed or newly created files.

Therefore, all "save as" Affinity files are missing in my archival backup. If some damages happens, all these files are lost forever.

Hence, I beg you to fix this problem as soon as possible, please.

My OP: Windows 11

My Affinity version: 2.2.0

Kind regards

On Windows 10, I’ve just done a quick test in V2 and neither the original “Save” file nor the “Save As” file have the archival flag set, whereas they both do in V1.
I hope it’s just my quick/bad testing that is at fault here as this is quite worrying otherwise.

47 minutes ago, anto said:

what do you mean, what "archival flag"?

image.png.ba366a0b1499b18a2bf62ab96cf57a58.png

It's used by some backup applications to indicate that the file is new or changed, and should be backed-up.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

On Windows 10, I’ve just done a quick test in V2 and neither the original “Save” file nor the “Save As” file have the archival flag set,

I see that, too, for Save/Save-As. Exporting seems to set it properly, though.

Possibly a bug that crept in with the new file-locking implementation?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I don't see this problem here on my Win 11 system. Maybe I'm not looking at the right place...

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

22 minutes ago, AlainP said:

I don't see this problem here on my Win 11 system. Maybe I'm not looking at the right place...

Have you:

1. Saved a native Affinity file, and then
  2. In File Explorer, selected the file, right-clicked and chosen Properties, then clicked on Advanced?

-- Walt
PC:

Exactly what I did. Here's a file I worked on this morning in Affinity Photo.

file_flag.jpg

-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

16 minutes ago, AlainP said:

Exactly what I did. Here's a file I worked on this morning in Affinity Photo.

And you've updated Photo to 2.2.0? 

If so, did you install via the MSIX- or EXE-based installer?

-- Walt
PC:

27 minutes ago, AlainP said:

2.2.0 Release versions, MSIX installers.

Interesting. I've tried it with 2.2.0, and both the MSIX and EXE installers. I wonder what's different between your system and mine (or Garry's or Rumpelstilzchen's).

-- Walt
PC:

It's getting weirder.... now all files I create in any Affinity app don't have that flag turned on anymore.... and I just do what I did this morning.... 

More research.... I think I found out why it was working this morning and not now. This morning I saved the files and reopened them minutes later to do some more work on them. 

What I found out is that when I save the file the first time the archival bit is not set. And when you reopen it and save it again it's then set correctly.

-- Macbook Air 15"

I installed 2.1.1, and the Archive bit is properly set by that release. So it looks like it's a new problem in 2.2.0 on Windows.

-- Walt
PC:

Ich verwende Windows 11 und Affinity Suite in der Version 2.2.0.
Bei mir wird das Archiv-Bit gesetzt.

Auch mit der Beta 2.2.1 wird das Bit gesetzt.

Archiv-Bit.png.9fb6827c89aca787bcad96a7ecb88e65.png

I use Windows 11 and Affinity Suite in version 2.2.0.
For me, the archive bit is set.

The bit is also set with Beta 2.2.1.

Archive bit also not setting here in 2.2 beta or 2.2.1 beta on Windows 11. Exe versions.

Also tested one of my overnight backup routines and files are not backed up

2.1 release works correctly. (Fortunately, I had not got around to updating that version as yet and still use it for important stuff)

This is one of those problems that companies may not notice for a while but when they do... someone in the IT department is getting fired

horror2.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Here’s a bit more detail from my end.

Windows 10 Home – 22H2 – 19045.3516 – Updated a few days ago and no updates listed as pending.
Designer 2.2.0.2005 – installed via MSIX from Serif Store.

(In the below workflow: Des = Designer; Exp: Windows Explorer.)

Des: Launch application.
Des: Create new HD-sized landscape document.
Des: Add rectangle shape.
Des: Save document to my user root folder (testing archive flag.afdesign).
Exp: Check Archive Flag for file – It’s not set.
Des: Close document.
Des: Open recent – open the same document.
Des: Add ellipse shape.
Des: Save document.
Des: Open recent – open the same document.
Des: Save As – with new filename to my user root folder (testing archive flag2.afdesign).
Exp: Check Archive Flag for both files – It’s not set.
Des: Close application.

Basically, at no point is the Archive Flag set. (I’ve not checked this with Publisher or Photo.)

(Virus/Security is via Windows Defender and backups are ‘processed’* via the standard “Backup using File History” functionality provided by Windows.)

* Even though this is set to be done automatically every day I have to force this to happen every week or two just to make sure that it gets done, for some reason that escapes me. I don’t know if this is relevant but thought I’d mention it anyway.

• Staff

The issue "Windows "File is ready for archiving" flag is not getting set File > Save or Save As" (REF: AF-637) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.2.1.2063".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.