You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Serious Color Management Issue

Johannes

Serious Color Management Issue

I went back immediately to 2.1.1 for the whole suite because on the very first minute of work I came across a serious color management issue. Wrong profiles are used (or pretended to be used) even the app wide color setting has been changed. I can't work at all if I can't know for sure which profile I'm using.

Advertising designer - Austria —  Photo - Publisher - Designer — CS6 d&wP — Mac Pro 5,1 (4,1 2009) 48GB 2x X5690 - RX580 - 970EVO - OS X 10.14.6 - NEC2690wuxi2 - CD20"—  iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 128 GB - Pencil

Yes, today I totally ran into this trap when I tried to "quickly finish up" a 99% done job which was a leftover from yesterday...

As it turns out after tearing out almost all my hair: AfDesigner has a problem with the list of ICC-Profiles. It displays them in the wrong order. So behind the curtains it selects the one underneath.

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

@Johannes ane @woefi Thank you for the screen recordings. I'm unable to duplicate the issue on macOS but there seems to be something going on with the sorting of the colour profile list.

I didn't have all the same profiles installed that you both have so I installed the ECI offset 2009 set for testing. In New Document, Document Setup, and Export, the list appeared as below for me. But for Johannes, your "ISO Coated v2 300% (ECI)" is sorted below your Generic CMYK profile. For woefi, it's at the top of the list like it is for me but your "ISO Coated vs (ECI)" is sorted below your Generic CMYK Profile.

I don't understand the sort order of this list or if it's important so perhaps Serif can shed some light on this. But the sort order is the only difference I can think of right now.

Screenshot2023-09-19at7_14_15PM.png.f882deeb99b5413302360e94475978ab.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

What I'm seeing is:

• Affinity, Publisher works right
    (and has the list in alphabetical order)
  • Affinity Designer doesn't work
    (and the list is not sorted properly)

AfDes222023-09-19.png.1be665767d3cff7024ac0970cf299961.pngAfPub222023-09-19.thumb.png.61fef53ace7fe55b54b912f671888e6f.png

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);

I'm likewise not experiencing the issue on macOS despite the list order having changed...

The unordered list is the same across all three 2.2.0 apps for me...

v1.10.6 and v2.0.4 Left | v2.2.0 Right (Designer and Publisher)

ICCProfiles.png.d7a918355cfc98bb9c98d428a7de862b.png

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

10 minutes ago, Hangman said:

I'm likewise not experiencing the issue on macOS

is this Designer or Publisher?

(Note: it is working in AfPub, the problem is with Designer)

@woefi, for me the colour profile list appears in the same order in both Designer and Publisher v2.2.0 (I've updated the post to reflect this), i.e., unordered as shown above and when selecting a profile, the profile is remembered in both apps which makes things even stranger that you're seeing a difference between the two apps.

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

To clarify:

The bug seems to be

• in Designer 2.2 mac
  • the ICC-list "Text" does not match the underlying list "objects"
  • the second from above in Publisher corresponds to the second from above in Designer, but is labelled differently
  • to me it started with a project using "ISO Coated v2 300%" right after the update.

edit:

• maybe a localisation bug just for non-english versions? I'm using it in german.

image.png.3838c30c77c9d72d6fe3413fd5ed8053.png

5 hours ago, woefi said:

maybe a localisation bug just for non-english versions? I'm using it in german.

Quite possibly though it seems somewhat odd...

Designer 2.2.0 Left | Publisher 2.2.0 Right (English)

ColourProfiles.thumb.png.5ccaa3e7c939248d8dec64364a298d13.png

Next thing I see:

Both in Designer AND Publisher if you change the CMYK profile in settings, then it always reverts back to US Web Coated SWOP after closing the app...

Man...this gets weirder... I have to downgrade back to 2.1.1, I have real work to do...

image.png.06ca16c9c0cad2d1867b0f5720eda52d.png

7 minutes ago, woefi said:

Both in Designer AND Publisher if you change the CMYK profile in settings, then it always reverts back to US Web Coated SWOP after closing the app...

Again, I'm not seeing this...

I just tried both apps using a German localisation and I'm not seeing the issue there either so I'm a bit stumped. Hopefully, someone from the Serif team can take a look and figure out what is going on.

17 minutes ago, Hangman said:
29 minutes ago, woefi said:

maybe a localisation bug just for non-english versions? I'm using it in german.

Quite possibly though it seems somewhat odd...

THIS!!!

If I change my language from "german" to "english" (not US, and there is no United Kingdom either...) then the profile stops reverting in Designer!

...and the list is sorted right – which is an indication that this is somewhat linked.

image.png.bfd914229a75d897d3f4767cb146b774.png

5 minutes ago, woefi said:

If I change my language from "german" to "english" (not US, and there is no United Kingdom either...) then the profile stops reverting in Designer!

...and the list is sorted right – which is an indication that this is somewhat linked.

That would seem to suggest that is the case though it's odd I don't see the issue when changing to German unless it's in some way OS-specific as well...

18 hours ago, Johannes said:

Wrong profiles are used (or pretended to be used) even the app wide color setting has been changed.

@Johannes FYI: I think I found some sort of fix:

(your video shows the english version but your name suggests that you may be german speaking?)

• Prerequisites: This was not a fresh install and I had several betas installed this year (I think it has to do with the preferences)
  • I had my language set to "Standard" which is "german" in my operating system.
  • I had the same problems like you showed in your video

• I changed my program language to "english" and restarted the app
  • -> some things improved
  • I changed it to "german" and restarted the app
  • I changed it to "Standard" (which should be german) and restarted.
  • -> Now The list is sorted right and it remembers the right profile in the document*.
  • I repeated this for all three Apps (AfPub AfDes AfPhoto)

* -> BUT: I'm still having difficulties with the MAIN program setting for the default CMYK profile: sometimes it works, sometimes it does not stick...

I tested all three apps it in English and German yesterday and saw no difference in the sort order. I tried it again just now and didn't see any difference. I'll bow out. now, I'm sure there's somebody who knows more about this than me.

Good luck.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• Staff

Just to confirm our current standings with these issues being reported :

I have been able to replicate the issue with Settings > Colour not retaining the profile set, when using a custom installed profile. This has been logged with our dev team as it affects all 3 apps on macOS and seemingly any language. 

I haven't yet been able to consistently replicate the issue with Document Setup > Colour. I have tried using different ICC profile downloads, changing the app language, changing the macOS language / region, using the Mac App Store and Affinity Store version of the apps etc and none of these options have caused the incorrect list order to be displayed.
I'm currently in the process of updating to 13.6 Ventura (I have been testing using Ventura, but not the latest update), to see if this changes any of the behaviour witnessed.
[EDIT - updating to 13.6 Ventura did not change the behaviour on my system]

However, in my cross platform testing on Windows, after installing the ISO profiles I did see the incorrect list order when next launching the Affinity app - though I then restarted my app once again and the list returned to the correct order and I have not yet been able to trigger this again since, even when uninstalling/installing the profiles with the application open etc.

Therefore I'm not entirely convinced the issue with Document Setup and ICC list order is macOS specific, and may be a caching issue with how the app is detecting these ICC profiles. (?)

I assume that for any users experiencing the Document Setup issue, you have restarted your Affinity app / mac at least once, since the issue began?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

48 minutes ago, Dan C said:

I haven't yet been able to consistently replicate the issue with Document Setup > Colour.

I can reproduce the problem in Affinity Designer on macOS Ventura 13.5.2. When I start with a new cmyk document that has the color setting "Farbformat: ISO Coated v2 300% (ECI)" and place a TIFF image (cmyk, ISO Coated v2 300% (ECI)) on the blank page, I have the exact problem that I do not see the selected color profile under "Dokumenteneinstellungen – Farbe " (which is probably "Document Setup - Color" in the English Version). Not even when I explicitly select it there again. 

If I can submit the TIFF image to Affinity in a non-public way, I would like to do so. Since it is customer data, it can only be used for Serif troubleshooting purposes and cannot be made public.

Ich hoffe, ich erlebe es noch, dass die deutschen Anführungszeichen in Affinity Publisher korrekt funktionieren.

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know!

I don't specifically believe this to be an issue with the placed TIFF image itself - from our testing it appears to be due to the ICC profiles installed externally from Affinity, with a potential caching issue in-app, causing the list differences.

Therefore it would be much more helpful for our testing if you could please:

• Open Finder
  • Navigate to Library > ColorSync > Profiles
  • Select all .ICC profiles here and add to a .ZIP file
  • Attach a copy of the .ZIP file here (or let me know if you'd like a private upload link for this)

This will allow me to test Affinity with the exact colour profiles that your mac is using, hopefully making this issue replicable for our dev team.

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

7 minutes ago, Hangman said:

ISO Coated v2 300% (ECI) profile

Something is wrong with this profile. I deleted it in Library > ColorSync > Profiles and the behavior is as it should be.

(Edit: Which of course is not a final solution, since the profile is needed.)

Ich hoffe, ich erlebe es noch, dass die deutschen Anführungszeichen in Affinity Publisher korrekt funktionieren.

28 minutes ago, Optische Ausrichtung said:

Something is wrong with this profile. I deleted it in Library > ColorSync > Profiles and the behavior is as it should be.

There certainly seems to be despite downloading the profile from the http://www.eci.org website... Having said that, it's working without issue in v1.10.6 so I'm not so sure it's the profile itself that is the issue, it appears to be Publisher 2.2.

Did you attempt to re-install the profile and if so, did it make any difference?