You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unofficial PDF Manual - Expert Guide to Affinity Publisher

MikeTO

Learn how to publish books and other long documents with Affinity Publisher 2.2. This in-depth manual is filled with steps, tips, and recommendations for:

• Books and Chapters
  • Documents, Pages, Master Pages, Sections, and Baseline Grid
  • Text Frames, Text Flow, and Stories
  • Cross-References, Table of Contents, and Index
  • Notes - including Footnotes, Sidenotes, and Endnotes
  • Fields - including Page Numbering, Running Headers, and Custom Variables
  • Anchors and Hyperlinks

This manual does not cover text formatting, graphics, printing, and many other core features. It is intended to explain the advanced features that you’ll need to publish a long document, especially the Books feature introduced in version 2.

You can find the PDF for this 140-page manual in its thread in the Tutorials area of this forum:

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, MxHeppa said:

how you made mac keyboard symbols what you use? to tell keyboard keyboard shortcuts.

These characters are Unicode (Technical symbols) :

⌘ U+2318

⇧ U+21E7

⌥ U+2325

⌫ U+232B

and so on…

To introduce them, you can use the Glyph manager or type their code U+…, followed by menu Text > Activate Unicode (or ⌃U)

— Mike did some more work on it to mimic a keyboard key… 

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

Oufti is correct, they can be typed by entering the glyph unicode values.

Tip: If you don't do this often and can't be bothered doing it the normal way, just google the key name (e.g., "command key Mac") and Google will probably show you the glyph in the first hit. Then you can copy and paste it into Publisher.

You can use a lot of fonts to format these characters but I used SF Compact Text in the manual.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

On 10/9/2023 at 2:54 AM, Oufti said:

These characters are Unicode (Technical symbols) :

⌘ U+2318

⇧ U+21E7

⌥ U+2325

⌫ U+232B

and so on…

To introduce them, you can use the Glyph manager or type their code U+…, followed by menu Text > Activate Unicode (or ⌃U)

— Mike did some more work on it to mimic a keyboard key… 

i think key simulation realiely easy. but huge thanks.

• 1 month later...

New version! I have uploaded a new version of my unofficial Publisher manual. In addition to being updated for the changes in Publisher 2.3, this version covers character and paragraph formatting, text styles, and all the other text-related features. It is 120 pages longer than the original.

Although it's written for Publisher, most of the text features are the same for Designer or Photo so you may find it useful for the other Affinity applications, too.

Cheers

@MikeTO This is what I have been hoping for! Your manual has been absolutely terrific, but the text styles stuff has been my bugaboo since Publisher first arrived. Not that the Text Styles panel isn’t useful. Just “how in the world does it work?” As is the case with everything about Affinity, there is such a plethora of wonderful options that one can get lost in the forest when searching for a tree. Being one of those fossils who learn most quickly from reading vs watching, the Help sections have been consistently underwhelming. I am so thankful for your elegant PDF manual. In one instance, I found the solution for a problem in a matter of seconds on one of your pages for which I had searched again and again, in vain, in Publisher Help and on the forums. Can’t wait to delve into this newest iteration! Thank you so much for the massive amount of work and effort you have expended to help us all.  And Merry Christmas!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Hello @MikeTO, Thank you once again for this wonderful work!

Having read the section Text styles, I have not seen in it a tip that I find very handy if you need to “transfer” formatting from a style to another. (It's useful, for example, when you copy text from elsewhere and you want to update existing styles accordingly, or when you come to juggle with predefined TOC text styles) :

When some text is selected, you can update any other style via the burger menu on its right side in the Text styles panel, so this style will reflect the current formatting.

I know you don't want to include too many or too lengthy tips but I thought this could be worth sharing it to others, in this topic at least. 

18 minutes ago, Oufti said:

Having read the section Text styles, I have not seen in it a tip that I find very handy if you need to “transfer” formatting from a style to another. (It's useful, for example, when you copy text from elsewhere and you want to update existing styles accordingly, or when you come to juggle with predefined TOC text styles) :

When some text is selected, you can update any other style via the burger menu on its right side in the Text styles panel, so this style will reflect the current formatting.

Thanks!

I'll add a tip for step 2, bullet 2 of "To update a text style to match the current formatting" on page 125 to clarify that you can update any style and not just the current style.

I want to express my gratitude to you because you try to understand and then say better than I do what I intend. 😁

• 2 months later...

New version available for Publisher 2.4

I have uploaded a new version of my unofficial Publisher manual to the Tutorials forum. This version has a chapter on images and picture frames as well as additional pages on exporting to PDF for digital publishers, the Tags panel, more OpenType features, and a few other features. Now 300 pages.

Most of the features are the same for Designer or Photo so you may find it useful for Designer and Photo, too.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

@MikeTO - belated thanks for the 2.4 update to your great user manual resource. I really appreciate what you've done here.

I particularly like the clear section on Books and Chapters, explaining the limitations regarding the merging of sections/chapters where consideration needs to be given to the presence (or not) od blank pages between sections/chapters. 

regards,

• 3 weeks later...

Much appreciate. This manual is a godsend. I've printed many pages to read offline and I've shared the link to this thread several times on social media. Your efforts are very much appreciated by the community.

Will you need to do any updates for 2.4.1?

9 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Will you need to do any updates for 2.4.1?

There were no changes to functionality in 2.4.1 aside from the new Lessons or Samples in the New Document dialog.

I don't know what will be in 2.5 but I'll update the manual again then so check back for a new version of the manual each time a 2.x release happens.

Cheers

Thank you. If I might suggest a small addition to a future release...

On P. 35 explaining the start position of the baseline grid: for most uses it's more practical to have the grid align relative to the top margin. That way it aligns with the area(s) where the text will be placed. Having it align to the top of the page can lead to the baseline in the text area starting awkwardly (only a partial grid space).

2 hours ago, Godzilla said:

On P. 35 explaining the start position of the baseline grid: for most uses it's more practical to have the grid align relative to the top margin. That way it aligns with the area(s) where the text will be placed. Having it align to the top of the page can lead to the baseline in the text area starting awkwardly (only a partial grid space).

Thank you, I could have explained that better so I'll improve that section. The reason top of spread is the default is that you're expected to align the margins to the baseline grid, too. (I could never use Top Margin, I feel compelled to align my margins to the spread's baseline grid.) But the Help system and my manual don't explain that that so I'll explain when to use top of spread vs. top margin.

Thanks

Thanks again. I am not in agreement with you on the alignment of the baseline, however. I can't see why it would be better to align with the page than the margins if there will be no text outside the margins. What purpose does the grid serve outside them? And doesn't that require the user to reset the default margins to fit the baseline rather than the other way around? I look forward to reading your explanation.

My reasoning: I want an exact 1" margin at the top and bottom of my page to handle running heads (1" is pretty standard in book publishing — I'm working with imperial because book and paper sizes in North America are still in inches and most publishers/printers are not going to switch to metric any time soon). My body text is 11pt with a 13pt leading. Aligning the grid (13pt) with the top (0-0) of the page means the first baseline in the text area begins 5.54pts below the top margin. The first line of text will then begin 18.54pt below the margin. If I align the margin with the baseline, it is either too high or too low (admittedly only by 5.54 or 18.54 pts).

I have also calculated chapter headlines at 24pt with a narrow 26pt leading to accommodate the baseline (still looking for a suitable typeface for that tightness however) to start at a fixed location approx 3.4in or 19 baselines below the top of each opening page for a 6x9 book (or 3 in/17 baselines for 5x8 book). I am tinkering with golden ratio proportions; if I set the baseline at the top of the page, it alters those measurements slightly.

My experience doing newspaper layout in the early '90s was using flats and pasting printed/waxed columns on them, aligned with the pre-printed (in non-repo blue) grid of the flat. To the best of my recollection, the grid was not printed in the margins, only in the columns (i.e. within the margins). Yes, I know, that was back during the Ice Ages (paste-up is a lost art...). But it makes sense to me that way.

Anyway, thanks again for the manual. I have found it an excellent source of information. I hope Affinty/Canva recognize your effort and recompense you for it. It should be included with the program (and someone should be found to do the same for Designer and Photo, but I digress...)

Cheers

Ian

1 hour ago, Godzilla said:

Thanks again. I am not in agreement with you on the alignment of the baseline, however. I can't see why it would be better to align with the page than the margins if there will be no text outside the margins. What purpose does the grid serve outside them? And doesn't that require the user to reset the default margins to fit the baseline rather than the other way around? I look forward to reading your explanation.

It doesn't matter and it's likely no better, but I prefer the header and footer to align to the same baseline grid as the body text. It just 'feels' right to me. Publisher defaults to this approach so I don't think I'm alone in this preference, but Publisher gives us the choice to do it either way.