MEB

Google Nik Collection is now free for everyone.

Has anyone attempted to install the new retail DXO - Nik bundle into Graphic Converter 10.x in addition to ojur beloved  Affinity Photo ?  ( Adobe Photoshop does not come into my life these days.... haven't opened it in months ).

It sounds like DXO did not alter the functionality of the various Plugins themselves, but somehow the installation process has been modified, and in many cases is failing.

I do hope DXO realizes that many of us here are trying very hard to dispense with Adobe Photoshop CC and Lightroom altogether. It's why we use Affinity Photo. But  I never have used Lightroom or Apple Aperture. I've always used GraphicConverter's browser and other functions as my digital image catalogue and management app for over 20 years.

We need to double down with both Serif and DXO to assure that Nik will work for us going forward. Sounds like it's off to a rough start.

20 hours ago, OldRadioGuy said:

Back home and had a chance to install the new paid version of the Nik Collection -- Nik Collection by DxO. On my iMac system, it works with PhotoLine and Luminar 2018. It does not work on Affinity Photo. Since the filters will run on at least two non-Adobe products, I suspect part of the problem may be Affinity coding.

Mr. OldRadioGuy, I cross-referenced your findings to another post of the Affinity forum (Will Viveza (Nik) be fixed for Affinity?).  Here is their response:

"We only support .8bf plugins, we do nothing specific for Nix plugins and nothing we can do to support them directly. They definitely changed something in the new release as they worked fine with the old "Google" plugins."

I'm not trying to start any "war of words" on the forum but would love to see a single thread where the Affinity Folks address the software's problems and their efforts to address it/create a workaround. At least tell us if they are working with DXO to resolve the issue. 

While the DxO versions of the NIK plugins are working for me, there's an odd issue.  The images show up in the plugins rotated 90 degrees clockwise.  Everything else seems to be working correctly with that exception.  Maybe it's just my Windows 10 machine, but the plugins work completely normal in other editing programs that use .8bf plugins.

I paid for the upgrade to the latest Nik Collection by DxO about three weeks ago.

I'm running Affinity Photo for Sierra macOS - the latest update failed to work.

I've uninstalled it, and DxO helped me to re-install the free version. That still works (for the most part).

Greetings to the Affinity World

I just moved over to Affinity Photo (Windows) from ON1 Photo Raw.  I always use DXO Optics Pro 11 for initial raw file processing because it covers all my lenses, and nothing digs details out of shadows like DXO.  I also like that I can pass a DXO first pass process to Affinity as a DNG file, which Affinity Photo treats as RAW.  Perfect.

Now, After spotting this thread, I remembered I had an archived version of the Nik Collection version1.2.11 on a backup drive.  Following Miguel's instructions, I installed it  and added it to Affinity Photo as multiple plugins   They work with the caveats listed previously.  I also found that if I created an HDR image with Affinity (32 bit) and passed it to Nik's HDR Effects filter, when I pressed OK to send it back to Affinity, the color;s/tones were completely messed up and the resulting image of no use.  I can also attest to the color shifts when trying to use Nik's Viveza.

But most importantly (for me), Color Effects Pro 4 works perfectly, and this was always  my go to  Nik filter.  I am a strong advocate for the Tonal Contrast filter, Pro Contrast filter (which provides Dynamic Contrast control),  the  Reflectivity Filter ( I do many seashore landscapes), and the Polarizer filter.  It is nice to see I can still use them easily with Affinity Photo. 

Anyway,, thought I would share.

Regards, HDJEff

HDJeff

Keep on truckin'

keep on truckin 2.jpg

7 minutes ago, Surgio' said:

does anyone still have the free version of NIK files they can share?

If you want the Mac version, a direct link to the download was posted in this thread a few months ago.

Worse, I believe  DxO  Labs went into recievership and possibly bankruptcy back in April.

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/dxo-labs-on-brink-of-receivership--32198

DXO always intended to release Nik as a paid bundle late this year or early next after " improving" it....$ 50 to $70 . I'm not so sure they didn't try to sell the existing " free" version  they got from Google for $ 49 for a while. Nik used to be commercial software and sold for something like $ 250 or more.

I am glad I downloaded the installer DMG files for Mac, and it's wonderful that the entire latest/last Google-Nik bundle works in both Affinity Photo and my venerable GraphicCoverter 10.x.  My workflow uses all three apps all the time. I haven't opened my Photoshop CS5 at all this past year, and I'm a pro