You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer imports EPS as IMAGES, Illustrator doesn't

@Chris B

I am having constant issue with Designer opening file from STOCK sites ( eps files ) they open as images rather than vectors. I open them in Illustrator and they are Vector. 

This happens alot. 

I the movie industry we use STOCK image sites all the time. 

Can you fix this ? Its annoying. I don't want to own Adobe anymore but i have to for these types of problems.

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

This thread, with staff comments, might be useful: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/102800-is-there-any-hope-for-opening-illustrator-eps-files/

Basically, if the EPS has Adobe-specific ‘stuff’ in it then the Affinity applications can’t handle it because Serif can’t legally access it.

If this is the problem then it's not a bug, it's just how things are (and if you want things to change then you can complain to Adobe about it).

4 hours ago, GarryP said:

if you want things to change then you can complain to Adobe about it

Forget about complaining to Adobe, complain to the stock image sites. If I was using stock images "all the time" and there was a problem with the eps files not opening because they only open in Illustrator, I would ask for the money back from the stock image site.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

4 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Forget about complaining to Adobe, complain to the stock image sites. If I was using stock images "all the time" and there was a problem with the eps files not opening because they only open in Illustrator, I would ask for the money back from the stock image site.

Its not the stock sites. Its how DESIGNER opens them. 

EPS files open in INKSCAPE , ILLUSTRATOR fine. not DESINGER.

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

This thread, with staff comments, might be useful: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/102800-is-there-any-hope-for-opening-illustrator-eps-files/

Basically, if the EPS has Adobe-specific ‘stuff’ in it then the Affinity applications can’t handle it because Serif can’t legally access it.

If this is the problem then it's not a bug, it's just how things are (and if you want things to change then you can complain to Adobe about it).

its seems to be when every there is a gradient or effect like dropshadow , as far as i can tell. 

Gary

13 hours ago, thegary said:

Its not the stock sites. Its how DESIGNER opens them. 

I think Old Bruce was only suggesting that it might be nice if the stock sites would make their stock available in files which can be opened in more applications.

However, if the creators don’t supply such files then it’s possibly illegal for the sites to do that in many cases as they could then be said to be making a derivative of the work.

Basically it’s down to the creators who offer their work in these sites to not assume that everyone uses the Adobe products and, therefore, offer their work in a way that makes it accessible to as many people as possible – more accessible = more money coming in, perhaps?

------------------------------

EPS files open in INKSCAPE , ILLUSTRATOR fine. not DESINGER.

Would you be able to legally attach an example of an EPS which can be fully edited in Inkscape but cannot be fully edited in the Affinity applications?
Without an example of what’s going wrong it’s difficult to understand what’s going wrong.

its seems to be when every there is a gradient or effect like dropshadow , as far as i can tell.

It’s known that the Affinity applications cannot handle some things in SVGs and EPSes such as vector patterns and some types of gradients.
These aren’t bugs, as such, just functionality that hasn’t been implemented (yet).

I think Old Bruce was only suggesting that it might be nice if the stock sites would make their stock available in files which can be opened in more applications.

However, if the creators don’t supply such files then it’s possibly illegal for the sites to do that in many cases as they could then be said to be making a derivative of the work.

Basically it’s down to the creators who offer their work in these sites to not assume that everyone uses the Adobe products and, therefore, offer their work in a way that makes it accessible to as many people as possible – more accessible = more money coming in, perhaps?

Would you be able to legally attach an example of an EPS which can be fully edited in Inkscape but cannot be fully edited in the Affinity applications?
Without an example of what’s going wrong it’s difficult to understand what’s going wrong.

It’s known that the Affinity applications cannot handle some things in SVGs and EPSes such as vector patterns and some types of gradients.
These aren’t bugs, as such, just functionality that hasn’t been implemented (yet).

My question to them is if they can fix it. I know that the issue is there. .

I cannot upload to here, but i can upload to AFFINITY for a sample.

Gary

As I see it, there are two separate issues:
1. features that Serif can handle/implement but have not yet done so;
2. features that Serif cannot handle/implement because of certain legal/ownership issues.

For 1, they will probably get round to implementing these at some point as the software grows naturally. We just have to wait and see.

For 2, they will probably never get round to implementing these unless Adobe lets them, which is doubtful. In this case there’s nothing to ‘fix’; it just can’t currently be done.

A member of staff may give you a dropbox link which you can upload to, and they can then tell you which of these options (or a mixture of both, or something else) pertains to that particular file.

• Staff

I'm not sure I should even ask for a sample EPS nevermind thegary providing a licensed one :( 

I've just exported an EPS from Illustrator with a gradient using the default EPS export settings and it opens in Affinity with a Layer and a Curve layer nested underneath which is expected.

I'm not sure what to include in the Illustrator export to make the EPS open as an Image Layer. If I could get a sample I would be happy to query it with the developers. I am entertaining this simply because thegary claims Inkscape can open them without issue and I wonder if there's something we can actually do.

4 hours ago, Chris B said:

I'm not sure I should even ask for a sample EPS nevermind thegary providing a licensed one :( 

I've just exported an EPS from Illustrator with a gradient using the default EPS export settings and it opens in Affinity with a Layer and a Curve layer nested underneath which is expected.

I'm not sure what to include in the Illustrator export to make the EPS open as an Image Layer. If I could get a sample I would be happy to query it with the developers. I am entertaining this simply because thegary claims Inkscape can open them without issue and I wonder if there's something we can actually do.

@Chris B

send me a link to the dropbox and i can send you a getty image that does this. Can't send work files.

on this show i have had a bout 15-20 Getty EPS files that open as images.

I have provided many files in the past. Just not ones when i am on a movie. I have sign NDA's and i wont' lose my job for sharing files that are not mine. 

Gary

• Staff
On 7/25/2023 at 3:21 PM, thegary said:

send me a link to the dropbox and i can send you a getty image that does this. Can't send work files.

Here you go - https://www.dropbox.com/request/jpnIZyFmPqWBYa8DuOeA

If you can give me a heads up when you've uploaded it that would be great because I do not get notifications from Dropbox.

6 hours ago, Chris B said:

Here you go - https://www.dropbox.com/request/jpnIZyFmPqWBYa8DuOeA

If you can give me a heads up when you've uploaded it that would be great because I do not get notifications from Dropbox.

@Chris B

Hello Chris,

The link says FILE REQUEST NOT FOUND. Nothing to upload to. Please resend.

Gary

• Staff

@thegary We've just poked this quite a bit and found the following:

• We cannot get it into Inkscape without downloading Ghostscript
  • Acrobat can import the EPS, however, it only seems to read what we can - the 6 images Illustrator created when creating the EPS
  • AI from these stock websites is embedding its own file inside the EPS so it knows what to do and creates an approximated version for other apps to use, making it unreliable

I do not think there is anything that we can do, sadly :( 

image (1).pngimage.png

24 minutes ago, Chris B said:

@thegary We've just poked this quite a bit and found the following:

• We cannot get it into Inkscape without downloading Ghostscript
  • Acrobat can import the EPS, however, it only seems to read what we can - the 6 images Illustrator created when creating the EPS
  • AI from these stock websites is embedding its own file inside the EPS so it knows what to do and creates an approximated version for other apps to use, making it unreliable

I do not think there is anything that we can do, sadly :( 

image (1).pngimage.png

@Chris B

Thanks for looking. These were 3 files of about 20 i used on the show. Unfortunately i have to use them as they are picked by others in production.

This means other software to open them. 

STOCK images are a big part of the art dept in film, purely do to the amount of work . On this show i am just finishing up, there is 700+ final pieces of art and 1.6GB of files.

Its a massive race to the finish.

Guess i have to keep Illustrator.

Inkscape did work with Ghost script.

Gary