You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Not by default but you can simply add your own... On Mac, (possibly not appropriate on Windows) I use

Ctrl C to insert a Cross-Reference
Ctrl A to insert an Anchor
Ctrl H to insert a Hyperlink
Ctrl I to insert Filler Text
Crtl F to insert a Footnote
Ctrl E to insert and Endnote
Ctrl S to insert a Sidenote

Since none are used by default and they are simple to remember...

Affinity Designer 2.5.0 | Affinity Photo 2.5.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.5.0
MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse

I didn't think of using Ctrl+C but that won't work for Windows users.

Here's my shortcut set but you'd have to reassign some of the default shortcuts like Show Rulers.

Windows users should substitute Ctrl for image.png.6217354fbfc6eee9e51bdc159b505989.png

Screenshot2023-09-21at8_08_36AM.png.0df12ba1c54b9f8e974c5ddee30e9746.png

I like these shortcuts because the edit/properties versions just add Shift. I picked R for cross-reference since it's logical and C is used for Copy. R is used for Show Rulers but if you're laying out a book you don't need rulers after you create the template so it's just a wasted shortcut.

I picked Y for anchor because it looks vaguely anchor-ish and I don't know many book publishers who use wireframe mode.

I picked K for hyperlink because most apps use K. Find in Layers is useful but I don't use it as frequently so I picked something else of rit.

I picked N (with Shift) for insert note because it's logical and I didn't need a non-Shift letter for this one since there's no edit equivalent.

I also use  image.png.6217354fbfc6eee9e51bdc159b505989.png  + J for Insert Index Marker instead of the awkward default which was presumably chosen to match ID.

Download a free PDF manual for Publisher 2.5

My system: Affinity 2.5 for macOS Sonoma 14.5, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

On 9/21/2023 at 1:54 PM, Hangman said:

Not by default but you can simply add your own... On Mac, (possibly not appropriate on Windows) I use

Ctrl C to insert a Cross-Reference
Ctrl A to insert an Anchor
Ctrl H to insert a Hyperlink
Ctrl I to insert Filler Text
Crtl F to insert a Footnote
Ctrl E to insert and Endnote
Ctrl S to insert a Sidenote

Since none are used by default and they are simple to remember...

Where do you see the option to add a cross-reference shortcut? I don't see the cross-references listed in 2.2.0, but I do recall I had at one point assigned a shortcut to it. Could be that this is yet another issue with the shortcuts in Windows...

I'm also having an issue with the Cross references not remembering the last preset I used for the cross reference.
For me, on Windows 10, it always reverts back to the page number preset when I insert a new Cross Reference 😑
image.png.331812b1af1a3074b1bce5c148739f96.png

See:

8 minutes ago, Intuos5 said:

Where do you see the option to add a cross-reference shortcut? I don't see the cross-references listed in 2.2.0, but I do recall I had at one point assigned a shortcut to it. Could be that this is yet another issue with the shortcuts in Windows...

I'm also having an issue with the Cross references not remembering the last preset I used for the cross reference.
For me, on Windows 10, it always reverts back to the page number preset when I insert a new Cross Reference 😑

It should be in Text between Notes and TOC.

I haven't seen that issue with it not remembering the most recent preset so perhaps that's a Windows issue.

Screenshot2023-09-22at8_07_17AM.thumb.png.2e4c0d558185a9952627eb3250146c9b.png

@Return,

It looks as though the shortcuts on Windows are sorted alphabetically unlike on macOS, does the shortcut possibly appear further up in the 'C''s?

@Return,

Out of interest, if you can be bothered to count them, how many shortcut options do you have for Text on Windows, Mac has 183 options. Just curious to see if all the others are there.

4 minutes ago, Return said:

Out of the house in a moment so maybe later tonight if come around to it.

No worries, it was purely out of curiosity...

50 minutes ago, Hangman said:

@Return,

Out of interest, if you can be bothered to count them, how many shortcut options do you have for Text on Windows, Mac has 183 options. Just curious to see if all the others are there.

I get 177 on Windows, if I counted correctly.

Of course, for all we know, Windows might have some that Mac is misssing :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

1 hour ago, Hangman said:

@Return,

It looks as though the shortcuts on Windows are sorted alphabetically unlike on macOS, does the shortcut possibly appear further up in the 'C''s?

No, I checked this entire list.

Is copying and pasting cross-references supposed to work on Mac too? That doesn't work for me right now.

17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I get 177 on Windows, if I counted correctly.

So that's a difference of six, four of those would be accounted for by the missing Cross Reference shortcuts on Windows...

18 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Of course, for all we know, Windows might have some that Mac is misssing :)

Quite possibly, I'll pull a list together of the Mac shortcuts so we can make a comparison but it sounds as though pretty much everything matches with the possibility of another two which may be missing or simply not relevant on Windows...

7 minutes ago, Intuos5 said:

No, I checked this entire list.

Clearly an omission...

8 minutes ago, Intuos5 said:

Is copying and pasting cross-references supposed to work on Mac too? That doesn't work for me right now.

Yes, that seems to be working for me...

The 183 text shortcuts available in Affinity Publisher 2.2.0 on macOS just in case anyone wants to compare them to those available on Windows...

Publisher Text Shortcuts.xlsx

Publisher Text Shortcuts.pdf

Another one, I found that if I update (save) a preset, it does not update the preset all over the document. The same is true for if you create a new preset with the same name as the old and overwrite the old one.

The reason is that overwriting the preset causes any cross-reference associated with the preset to lose its association:

image.png.c5f9566cb226cef2e93ee0e199013303.png

When I update all the cross-references in the cross-reference panel, it also doesn't pick up that I have modified and overwritten the cross-reference preset. Fortunately, you can select all of the cross-references that should have the updated preset and then use the edit button in the cross-reference panel to batch update them, but I find it odd that the reference is lost nonetheless.

On 9/23/2023 at 8:15 AM, Intuos5 said:

Why is it that cross-references don't display numbered list items? I often use that to tell which piece of text I need to reference.

There could at least be an option to show the numbers.

I believe I answered this question in another thread that I can't find right now but cross-referencing numbered lists does work for me. I just added an example document to a different one of your questions that shows working list numbers, see below. If this doesn't work for you on Windows them perhaps there is a Windows-specific issue but I can't find an issue on macOS.

6 hours ago, Intuos5 said:

Another one, I found that if I update (save) a preset, it does not update the preset all over the document. The same is true for if you create a new preset with the same name as the old and overwrite the old one

The reason is that overwriting the preset causes any cross-reference associated with the preset to lose its association:

When I update all the cross-references in the cross-reference panel, it also doesn't pick up that I have modified and overwritten the cross-reference preset. Fortunately, you can select all of the cross-references that should have the updated preset and then use the edit button in the cross-reference panel to batch update them, but I find it odd that the reference is lost nonetheless.

The presets are not styles and I think you're expecting them to work like styles. If they were styles then changing one would update all the cross-references formatted with that style but as presets, updating them impacts only the future ones you add or edit.

Cheers

23 hours ago, Intuos5 said:

Fortunately, you can select all of the cross-references that should have the updated preset and then use the edit button in the cross-reference panel to batch update them, but I find it odd that the reference is lost nonetheless.

As far as I can tell when updating a cross-reference the reference appears to be maintained but equally I think I may not be doing the same thing as you are describing here...

17 hours ago, MikeTO said:

I believe I answered this question in another thread that I can't find right now but cross-referencing numbered lists does work for me. I just added an example document to a different one of your questions that shows working list numbers, see below. If this doesn't work for you on Windows them perhaps there is a Windows-specific issue but I can't find an issue on macOS.

Yes, cross-references work with list numbers, that's not the point. My point is, why doesn't the cross-reference window display the numbers of paragraphs with a numbered list?

17 hours ago, MikeTO said:

The presets are not styles and I think you're expecting them to work like styles. If they were styles then changing one would update all the cross-references formatted with that style but as presets, updating them impacts only the future ones you add or edit.

Yes, I expect them to work like styles indeed. The reason is, when I modify a preset and any existing cross-reference that uses a preset is now set to [no-preset] then it gets confusing. If they can't work as styles, then at least when you save a new preset, there should be an option to: Save and Update Presets, which 1) saves the new preset and 2) updates all presets that had the old preset applied (de-facto switching them over to the new preset).

I just don't see why Affinity does not keep object styles and presets in cross-references live. That would make both features much more powerful and it's also where Indesign definitely has an edge over Publisher.

4 hours ago, Intuos5 said:

Yes, cross-references work with list numbers, that's not the point. My point is, why doesn't the cross-reference window display the numbers of paragraphs with a numbered list?

I agree that might be useful.