Jump to content
You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Recommended Posts

If I go to a cross-reference in text and select another cross reference, the old cross-reference remains highlighted in the text on Windows 10.0.19045, this gives off the impression that when you click on another cross-reference that that cross-reference is selected in the document. Wouldn't it be less confusing to deselect the cross-reference when you click on another one in the cross-reference panel?

It gets especially confusing when you paste in text that contains cross-references which have lost their target association indicated by the (?) icon. In those cases you can't easily verify that their Value fields correspond as there is none in the text itself:
To illustrate, you can mimic this by cut-pasting the text frame that contains the cross-reference and the text frame that contains the target. This effectively simulates the situation you get when you copy-paste cross-references that are part of text in another document. Notice that now, the visual clue of the selected cross-reference cannot be verified by its value field in the text itself.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Intuos5 said:

If I go to a cross-reference in text and select another cross reference, the old cross-reference remains highlighted in the text on Windows 10.0.19045, this gives off the impression that when you click on another cross-reference that that cross-reference is selected in the document. Wouldn't it be less confusing to deselect the cross-reference when you click on another one in the cross-reference panel?

I agree, I think the behaviour should reflect that of the Find and Replace panel where clicking each individual line highlights the selection in the document so in effect clicking and entry in the cross-reference panel should ideally mirror clicking the 'Go to cross-reference' icon which would certainly speed up the workflow...

Hopefully, this can be considered for an improvement...

Affinity Designer 2.3.1.2217 | Affinity Photo 2.3.1.2217 | Affinity Publisher 2.3.1.2217
Affinity Designer Beta 2.4.0.2294 | Affinity Photo Beta 2.4.0.2294 | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.4.0.2294

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Hangman said:

I agree, I think the behaviour should reflect that of the Find and Replace panel where clicking each individual line highlights the selection in the document so in effect clicking and entry in the cross-reference panel should ideally mirror clicking the 'Go to cross-reference' icon which would certainly speed up the workflow...

Hopefully, this can be considered for an improvement...

Yes, clicking a cross-reference should either perform 'Go to cross-reference' or, better yet, highlight the cross-reference in view, so you can click on multiple cross-references till you see the one you needed highlighted. The difference is that the latter doesn't change the view, but only the selection highlight, whereas 'Go to cross-reference' changes the view, which may not be what you want.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FWIW, what you're reporting is specific to Windows because for now on macOS clicking a cross-reference in the panel doesn't select the field in the text and selecting the field doesn't select the cross-reference in the panel. This has been previously reported.

It might be a good idea to start a new thread outside of the beta forum now that the beta is over.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.3 from this forum - expanded 260-page PDF

Affinity 2.3.1 for macOS Sonoma 14.3, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Intuos5 said:

or, better yet, highlight the cross-reference in view, so you can click on multiple cross-references till you see the one you needed highlighted. The difference is that the latter doesn't change the view, but only the selection highlight...

Does that not assume that all cross-references are on the same page or maybe I'm not quite understanding what you mean here... my thought was to replicate the find and replace behaviour, so imagine this is a list of cross-references in the cross-reference panel (rather than find and replace results)...

Affinity Designer 2.3.1.2217 | Affinity Photo 2.3.1.2217 | Affinity Publisher 2.3.1.2217
Affinity Designer Beta 2.4.0.2294 | Affinity Photo Beta 2.4.0.2294 | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.4.0.2294

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

FWIW, what you're reporting is specific to Windows because for now on macOS clicking a cross-reference in the panel doesn't select the field in the text and selecting the field doesn't select the cross-reference in the panel. This has been previously reported.

I think based on the screen recording this is the same issue @Intuos5 is highlighting on Windows but please correct me if I'm wrong, as in, clicking a cross-reference in the panel doesn't select the field and I assume vice-versa. It's only currently selected when clicking the 'Go to cross-reference' icon in the bottom left of the panel...

Affinity Designer 2.3.1.2217 | Affinity Photo 2.3.1.2217 | Affinity Publisher 2.3.1.2217
Affinity Designer Beta 2.4.0.2294 | Affinity Photo Beta 2.4.0.2294 | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.4.0.2294

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Does that not assume that all cross-references are on the same page or maybe I'm not quite understanding what you mean here... my thought was to replicate the find and replace behaviour, so imagine this is a list of cross-references in the cross-reference panel (rather than find and replace results)...

 

Yes, that's indeed the behaviour I tried to describe as well, so we are on the same page. My only doubt is that if the cross-reference happens to be on another page or outside of the current view, should the view be changed or not? While I said no earlier, I guess it doesn't do any harm either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.