You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fonts not working

Hi, I’ve just upgraded my M1 12.9 iPad to the iPadOS 17 developer’s beta (iPadOS 17.0 (21A5248v)) and just noticed that all my 30+ font installed from within affinity publisher are not working or displayed to be picked from any of the affinity apps. I’ve tried removing them all, rebooted and reinstalled them without any success. Any thoughts?

Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 18.14.17.jpeg.png

• Staff

Hi Katekoja,

Did these fonts work before installing the beta version of iOS as this is likely the cause of this issue as we haven't released any compatibility update for this version yet etc.

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi C, 

Yes, I had over 100 fonts installed which i have used for various designs and they were all working (on all the beta versions and 2.1 release) when I was on iPadOS 16.6 without any issues. I then upgraded to iPadOS 17 developers beta as mentioned above and the fonts were shown as installed but were neither recognised nor selectable within any of the apps. In designs the installed fonts are highlighted as missing. And even after re-installing, they still weren’t recognised.

Thanks for looking into this.

2 hours ago, Abraxasstudio said:

Same issue here. Also tried using a font manager (AnyFont) with no luck. I’m assuming it’s a beta issue but it sucks not having access to my fonts.

1 hour ago, katekoja said:

I’ve just updated to the 2.1.1 update and the problem still persists. I’ve tried AnyFont, google fonts and creative cloud fonts. They’re all recognised by other apps except any of the serif apps on iPad.

I regularly use AnyFont to install fonts on my iPad, and the fonts installed via that route (including ones from the Poppins family) are listed and usable in the Affinity apps, despite the fact that fonts installed since iPadOS 12 or 13 aren’t included in the list of Configuration Profiles under ‘General > VPN & Device Management’ in the Settings app.

Edit: I see that this appears to be an iPadOS 17 beta issue. At the time of writing, I’m still using iPadOS 15.7.5.

Edited by Alfred

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Probably @Callum is right that it's an effect of your upgrade to iPadOS 17, which Affinity doesn't yet support.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2023 at 1:16 PM, katekoja said:

Hi, I’ve just upgraded my M1 12.9 iPad to the iPadOS 17 developer’s beta (iPadOS 17.0 (21A5248v)) and just noticed that all my 30+ font installed from within affinity publisher are not working or displayed to be picked from any of the affinity apps. I’ve tried removing them all, rebooted and reinstalled them without any success. Any thoughts?

Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 18.14.17.jpeg.png

I am having the same issue on my M1 11” iPad Pro.  I have the iPadOS 17 beta installed as well, so perhaps it’s a compatibility issue between the Affinity apps and iPadOS 17.  The only workaround to this issue that I’ve discovered is typing the text I want with the font that I want to use in Pages, and then copying it and pasting it into Affinity in the Artistic Text tool.  All of the fonts show up for me in Pages as usual, and when I paste the text into the Affinity apps, the font name even shows up in the text formatting toolbar.  It just doesn’t show up in the font picker list when I try to select it within the Affinity apps.  So that’s kind of a janky workaround, but it works, I can even edit the text just fine, and resize and everything else, so hopefully this is a fairly simple issue for Affinity to fix.  I’m not really sure it’s a problem with just the iPadOS 17 beta though, because like I said before, the fonts show up in every other app they used to, just not the Affinity apps.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2023 at 6:28 PM, Kaleb Cadle said:

I am having the same issue on my M1 11” iPad Pro.  I have the iPadOS 17 beta installed as well, so perhaps it’s a compatibility issue between the Affinity apps and iPadOS 17.  The only workaround to this issue that I’ve discovered is typing the text I want with the font that I want to use in Pages, and then copying it and pasting it into Affinity in the Artistic Text tool.  All of the fonts show up for me in Pages as usual, and when I paste the text into the Affinity apps, the font name even shows up in the text formatting toolbar.  It just doesn’t show up in the font picker list when I try to select it within the Affinity apps.  So that’s kind of a janky workaround, but it works, I can even edit the text just fine, and resize and everything else, so hopefully this is a fairly simple issue for Affinity to fix.  I’m not really sure it’s a problem with just the iPadOS 17 beta though, because like I said before, the fonts show up in every other app they used to, just not the Affinity apps.

I never comment but I needed to thank you for sharing this trick. I was going insane because of this.
They changed the system font picker where personal fonts don’t appear, while other apps use their own menu (like Photoshop, Microsoft 365, etc) and they can use all the fonts installed.
Thank you again

3 hours ago, Imar said:

I never comment but I needed to thank you for sharing this trick. I was going insane because of this.
They changed the system font picker where personal fonts don’t appear, while other apps use their own menu (like Photoshop, Microsoft 365, etc) and they can use all the fonts installed.
Thank you again

Thanks, no problem!  I’m glad you found that workaround helpful! 👍🏻

On 7/2/2023 at 11:28 PM, Kaleb Cadle said:

Sorry, how to do that..?
typing text in the Pages, could you please show me how to do that..?

13 minutes ago, Sulaiman_ said:

Sorry, how to do that..?

Hello and welcome to the forum.

This refers to the Pages app for the iPad, not to pages in Affinity Publisher.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

13 hours ago, Sulaiman_ said:

Sorry, how to do that..?

The app icon for Pages looks like this, and it should be located on your iPad’s Home Screen, unless you haven’t installed it from the App Store, in which case, you should install it:

IMG_1869.png.da375d601920782bf698d5ff27340175.png

Then you create a new document, and type in the text you want:

IMG_1867.thumb.png.5f61ebae62757fb67fbe56d90cd9796f.png

Then you should select the text you typed, and choose the font you want to use in this menu:

IMG_1868.thumb.png.b5513f0a805a5948056b74dcf25d8225.png

Then copy the text, and open the Affinity app you want it in, and paste it in that app.

I hope this helps you out. 👍🏻

On 8/8/2023 at 2:52 PM, Abraxasstudio said:

Fixed in the latest update beta.

What version are you running?  I’m running 2.2.0 (1931).  The problem still persists for me.

Edit: I just installed iPadOS 17 Developer Beta 5, and now it’s working again, in the current public version of Affinity and the Beta version of Affinity.  So apparently it was improved with the new iPadOS beta. 👍🏻

Same issue. Extremely frustrating. I noticed this six months ago. I wanted to give Serif the benefit of the doubt since they’re not charging monthly like Adobe, but this is getting a little absurd. I would think this would be a greater priority considering these are graphic design apps.

• 2 weeks later...

On 8/10/2023 at 2:39 AM, Kaleb Cadle said:

What version are you running?  I’m running 2.2.0 (1931).  The problem still persists for me.

Edit: I just installed iPadOS 17 Developer Beta 5, and now it’s working again, in the current public version of Affinity and the Beta version of Affinity.  So apparently it was improved with the new iPadOS beta. 👍🏻

yep.. but is so f. slow loading the fonts

• 3 months later...

I’m still having this problem: Installed font not showing in font picker.

I Installed font (Bebas) through designer>settings>font and also tried with iFont app. Font works in Procreate and Pages.

Affinity Designer 2.2.1

iOS 17.1.1

Glad that I found this thread as it’s been driving me nuts for a couple of hours 🤯 Is there an ETA on an update?

IMG_7859.jpeg

IMG_7858.jpeg

• Staff
2 hours ago, whatmedia said:

I’m still having this problem: Installed font not showing in font picker.

I Installed font (Bebas) through designer>settings>font and also tried with iFont app. Font works in Procreate and Pages.

Affinity Designer 2.2.1

iOS 17.1.1

Glad that I found this thread as it’s been driving me nuts for a couple of hours 🤯 Is there an ETA on an update?

Welcome to the forum! We have an issue logged with our developers where the Bebasneue font isn't being detected in our iPad apps. Do you have this issue with other newly install fonts or just this one?