You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer V2 crashes when zooming in and out frequently

• Staff

I'm sorry to hear this @mediumcheese - we've recently released the v2.1 beta to the public not only to get our users feedback directly on the new features but as we're aware this contains many bug fixes and improvements our users have been patiently awaiting.

Have you signed up for the beta version and tried using this, to resolve your issue?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 5 weeks later...
  • Staff

Unfortunately we don't yet have a concrete release date for 2.1, however you are welcome to sign up and use this beta using the above link to resolve the crashing issues in the meantime :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...

@Dan C Using the beta is not a viable solution for those of us who use this for professional work, because as stated on the beta page:

However, since the beta software has not yet been commercially released, it may contain errors, have stability issues and generally may not function as well as our retail versions. For this reason, we would not advise using the beta versions for important production work. Please also consider that documents saved in the beta versions may not be backward compatible with the currently released version.

I really hope y'all take some serious consideration in changing your development pipeline to allow critical bug fixes to get released in their own updates. This list of bug fixes for 2.1 is INSANELY long. There's no reason all these fixes should be blocked by a big feature update. We've been dealing with crashes every 2-15 minutes for MONTHS now. It's just so utterly disappointing.

Please, I beg of you all as a fan of this suite, do better.

1 hour ago, mediumcheese said:

This list of bug fixes for 2.1 is INSANELY long. There's no reason all these fixes should be blocked by a big feature update.

I think it's also within our right to ask Serif why they haven't pushed critical bug fixes in smaller patches similar to 2.0.3 and 2.0.4. Given their failure to address program-breaking issues in a timely manner and the inherent risks of the beta version, I've stopped working with Designer 2 almost completely. It really is sad to see...

18 hours ago, mediumcheese said:

@Dan C Using the beta is not a viable solution for those of us who use this for professional work, because as stated on the beta page:

I really hope y'all take some serious consideration in changing your development pipeline to allow critical bug fixes to get released in their own updates. This list of bug fixes for 2.1 is INSANELY long. There's no reason all these fixes should be blocked by a big feature update. We've been dealing with crashes every 2-15 minutes for MONTHS now. It's just so utterly disappointing.

Please, I beg of you all as a fan of this suite, do better.

@mediumcheese

I have had this issue for ages. Something about being zoomed in , spikes the CPU to 100% over and over.....This also seems to be the issue around lagging the longer the software is open. I used to happen with warps, but now seems to happen even with NO effects at all. Shouldn't be this way. Still using V1 because of this.

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

• 8 months later...

I have a RTX 470 mobile on a dell xps with an i9 and windows 11, all driver up to date, I deactivated open CL acceleration and tried to set up the RTX graphic card or the Iris integrated card but neither of these solutions worked for me, it always crashes when I zoom in and zoom out fast in a 16k x  16k file.

any solution for this? it makes impossible to work