You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer V2 crashes when zooming in and out frequently

Hi, since I'm using the V2, Affinity Designer is crashing every time I zoom in and out more often. Since I do this often, the program crashes non-stop. I absolutely cannot work like this. Can someone please help me?

I'm running Windows 11 and have tried it with OpenCL acceleration enabled and disabled. In the settings is default and my graphics card selected. My GPU drivers are also up to date.

Hi and welcome to the forum. How are you zooming? With the trackpad, mouse scroll wheel, menus, keyboard shortcuts, zoom tool?

There's a similar issue on macOS but it's only with the trackpad and is less common than it seems for you.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Hannes C,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

I can confirm this issue has been identified by our team and we're working to resolve this ASAP - I'm certainly glad to hear that reducing the max RAM in settings allows you to workaround this issue and I will be sure to update our developers with this information now :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Hi @WrinkleRelease,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

Thanks for your report and I'm sorry to hear this - I can confirm this is a critical issue logged with our developers and should be resolved in the next update, our apologies for any inconveniences caused due to this.

Some users have found disabling Hardware Acceleration under Edit > Preferences > Performance can reduce this happening, though may not alleviate the issue altogether.

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Same problem on my side.

I lowered ram usage to about 6 Gb (have 12), but this didn't helped. I have hardware acceleration Off, because I have outdated NVIDIA GTX 660 (support for older comming in next possible update?)

Still it tends to crash. I use Huion KAMVAS 24 Plus tablet to do sketching for my designs and sometimes while I try to Undo (Ctrl + Z) it tends to toggle Magnifier tool and while dragging my pen with this tool on, it is very likely the app will freeze and then crash.

Win10 Home (22H2 version)

Is there a way to send crash logs to help devs figure out what's causing it, or app sends it automatically?

A followup.

Turns out that the last crash made this app unable to launch. Looks like the app had a problem with my tablet monitor. Had to plug it off, launch the app and then replug tablet to get out of crash loop.

I could've created another bug topic but I think this bug was related to this one.

• Staff

Thanks for your report @Losio,

1 hour ago, Losio said:

I have outdated NVIDIA GTX 660 (support for older comming in next possible update?)

Unfortunately due to the implementation of OpenGL Hardware Acceleration in Affinity, we're unable to ever support GPUs that do not use DX11 feature set 12_0 or later and the GTX 660 only supports feature set 11_0, my apologies.

1 hour ago, Losio said:

Is there a way to send crash logs to help devs figure out what's causing it, or app sends it automatically?

Crash reports are automatically provided to our development team, provided you have not changed the default setting for this within the Affinity app - we appreciate the offer but do not require any more crash reports for this issue at this time.

1 hour ago, Losio said:

Turns out that the last crash made this app unable to launch. Looks like the app had a problem with my tablet monitor. Had to plug it off, launch the app and then replug tablet to get out of crash loop.

Many thanks for letting me know and I'm certainly sorry to hear this - I will be sure to provide this info to our development team now regarding this issue & we hope to have this resolved ASAP.

I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

2 hours ago, Shwezgaiks said:

I have the same problem with Affinity designer 2 but on the IPad, it keeps crashing everytime I zoom in on the art board. Making it really impossible to work. Checking if anyone found any workaround for IPad? Thanks in advance!

Hi and welcome to the forums. FYI, Serif has fixed issues related to crashing when zooming in the 2.1 beta.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

I'm on the 30 day trial. I really want to like to software but the number of crashes in a few days is concerning. I'll tell you what I've tried based on other posts.

• I just started with the v2 software so I'm definitely on the latest version.
  • NVIDIA is v 516.94 (no clue of the significance of that)
  • Windows 10 fully updated
  • Crashes when I do most things. I've been using knife & del on an existing file so haven't used every tool
  • Looked for a crash report in regedit as suggested elsewhere. Folder was empty - no clue if that has to do with being on a trial.
  • Hardware acceleration unchecked.
  • By crashing, I mean it will suddenly close - no warning, no error

• Staff

Hi @Calvert,

Sorry to hear this - as Mike mentions above, this issue has been fixed in our latest update v2.1, which is currently available for beta. Any Affinity V2 owners can sign up for the beta, using the information in the link provided.

I'd recommend trying the beta and confirming this for yourself!

Welcome to the Affinity Forums @TinaHasQuestions & sorry to hear you're having trouble!

20 hours ago, TinaHasQuestions said:

NVIDIA is v 516.94 (no clue of the significance of that)

It appears as though this is a GPU driver from August 2022 and therefore is rather outdated. I'd recommend downloading the latest driver directly from Nvidia, installing this using the 'clean install' method, then restart your PC and try using Affinity once again.

If you continue to experience further issues unrelated to zooming on the canvas, please create a new thread here and our team will be happy to assist further :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Sorry to hear this @TEEWORKS, as mentioned above the 2.1 beta resolves this issue - however we can try resetting your 2.0.4 app to default settings to hopefully allow the app to open without crashing.

Please launch the Affinity app, then hold down the CTRL key whilst the app launches. You should see the Clear User Data dialog appear, where I'd recommend ticking the following settings:

image.png

I hope this helps!

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

The issue "App hangs when zooming" (REF: AFD-6338) has now been fixed by the developers.
This fix is included in build 2.1.0.1706 (or later) which is already available as a customer beta and will be included in the next release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.

If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please make a new thread referencing this one.

I'm having the same issue. Zooming in / out in vector mode in Designer 2.04 cause the app to freeze (as if it trying to process the zoom request) and it goes into an unresponsive state. fairly current setup with latest nVidia driver installed using a clean install. Changing RAM size  did not help (have allocated 32 of 64GB).

Also from day 1 mor me, in Affinity 10.x, 11.x and 2.x, Designer, Photo and Publisher have display more than one nvidia card in the preferences>performance menu, even though I have on one physical nVidia card (in addition to the Intel CPU UHD 630 graphics). Not sure if the zoom freeze has anything to do with that. I have checked that there is only one nVidia driver installed, and no other app shows two. In the hardware acceleration, it shows only one.

Also, is there an ETA on v2.1 production release? I don't want to use the Beta for critical work, and would very much appreciate a fix for v2.04. Any chance this bug/fix can be patched into a v2.05?

Otherwise loving the products. 

thanks.

Designer Preformance Settings screenshot.png

Designer Preformance Settings screenshot2.png

Edited by Milo_D

• Staff

Hi @Milo_D,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

2 hours ago, Milo_D said:

I'm having the same issue. Zooming in / out in vector mode in Designer 2.04 cause the app to freeze (as if it trying to process the zoom request) and it goes into an unresponsive state. fairly current setup with latest nVidia driver installed using a clean install. Changing RAM size  did not help (have allocated 32 of 64GB).

Unfortunately changing these settings won't resolve this issue for you, you will need to either use the 2.1 beta or wait for this to be released to retail, my apologies.

Also from day 1 mor me, in Affinity 10.x, 11.x and 2.x, Designer, Photo and Publisher have display more than one nvidia card in the preferences>performance menu, even though I have on one physical nVidia card (in addition to the Intel CPU UHD 630 graphics). Not sure if the zoom freeze has anything to do with that. I have checked that there is only one nVidia driver installed, and no other app shows two. In the hardware acceleration, it shows only one.

That's certainly interesting, I've never seen a singular card appear in a list twice here, though this is possibly due to your installed drivers.

I can confirm that it is not this causing the freeze on zoom in Affinity apps, and I would not personally be concerned that the card appears twice in this list as Hardware Acceleration is still able to function as expected.

If you wish to attempt to resolve this, I'd recommend running DDU (or similar) to remove all of your current GPU drivers, then reinstall the latest driver for your card directly from Nvidia. Once done, restart your PC and then launch Affinity once again - hopefully only one card will show in this list now.

Also, is there an ETA on v2.1 production release? I don't want to use the Beta for critical work, and would very much appreciate a fix for v2.04.

Unfortunately we don't have an ETA for V2.1 release at this time, as we're adding new features and making multiple improvements, I believe we are allowing for a slightly longer testing period with our users before release - but again I couldn't provide any accurate timescale for this currently, my apologies.

Any chance this bug/fix can be patched into a v2.05?

Our next update will be 2.1, as otherwise we would need to begin a separate beta process for a '2.0.5' or similar and this simply isn't planned at this time. Our apologies for any inconveniences caused in the meantime.

Please note -

Many thanks!

Thanks for the feedback. Upon removal of nVidia drivers, it now shows two Intel630 renderers (in a one CPU setup).

image.png.96a1613d9671ae7fe7bae5bb60abf6bb.png

After a clean install of nVidia drivers, it is back to showing one Intel630, and two nvidia options.

I wonder duplicate renderers are showing because I have a dual monitor setup, in which case it begs the question if selecting one renderer has an adverse impact if the program is running on the monitor/renderer. No other software does this so curious what's causing this.

thanks. 

• Staff

No problem at all, thanks for trying that for me!

That's definitely strange behaviour, but isn't related to a multi-monitor setup as I am running 2 monitors in-office and 3 at home and only see one list item for each GPU on both setups.

image.png

On 2/26/2023 at 3:44 PM, Milo_D said:

in which case it begs the question if selecting one renderer has an adverse impact if the program is running on the monitor/renderer

Provided you have the Default (Quadro P620) option enabled here, as shown in your first screenshot, I would not expect any adverse behaviour based on this GPU being listed twice.

Unfortunately as previously mentioned the freeze/crash when zooming is an issue with the Affinity app that affects multiple users and certainly isn't caused by this UI oddity :)

Please note -

Many thanks!