Development Persona - White balance unresponsive since patch

• Staff

@Sam LaGargouille

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

3 hours ago, RazielKanos said:

you only see changes in the white balance after you move another slider

and

43 minutes ago, Sam LaGargouille said:

I've got same issue and if I insist, application is crashing.

Thank you both for your reports, Sorry this has slipped through the testing net.

I think you are seeing another aspect of the issue reported today on Photo macOS, I have bumped the developer report and added the additional information about the sliders on Windows

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I've been playing with this for about 30 mins on various RAW images. The WB adjustment responds, and no crashing or hanging.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

1 hour ago, Madpeaz said:

The White Balance problem, appears to only happen on non-RAW files bought into the Develop Persona, I.E. jpg, png. tif etc.
But if you use the White Balance Picker while in the Develop Persona, it will work on non-RAW files - but not the slider.

Ok, yes I can verify this. I can't think of anytime I've taken a pixel image (non-raw) into the Develop Persona. It just seems counter-productive when all the tools are available in the Photo Persona.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

1 hour ago, Ron P. said:

Ok, yes I can verify this. I can't think of anytime I've taken a pixel image (non-raw) into the Develop Persona. It just seems counter-productive when all the tools are available in the Photo Persona.

Not necessarily. All of the tools are available in the Photo persona, but you have to keep clicking and switching between them. In the Develop persona you can tweak different values with only one opening click and one saving click.

This comes in handy in one of my use cases, which is editing pictures sent by a client's employees for use on the company's Web site. Each employee's phone or camera is "off" in different ways, but the corrections needed tend to be consistent for pictures taken by each individual device. In other words, a given device will always produce pictures that are "X" percent too warm, "Y" percent overexposed, or whatever. In the Develop persona, all the fixes can be applied in one screen and saved with one click. Multiply the click savings by dozens of images, and it adds up to measurable time savings.

When the reality of your workday is a seemingly unending procession of clicks, reducing the clicks needed to do a repetitive task makes a huge difference in productivity. When I first switched to Affinity Photo, the reason was because it required the fewest clicks to do what I used to do in Fireworks. I've since come to appreciate it for other reasons, but the initial reason was because it won a number of clicks contest.

Richard

6 hours ago, P3Ci said:

White balance not making any changes whatsoever and clicking on revert wb also crashes on my two different systems..

I need it for work... SAD :(

Until they get it fixed, you can use the one in the Photo Persona, so you're not loosing, missing out on any work. If you choose not to, that's on you.

On 12/20/2022 at 10:37 PM, GeekOnTheHill said:

Not necessarily. All of the tools are available in the Photo persona, but you have to keep clicking and switching between them. In the Develop persona you can tweak different values with only one opening click and one saving click.

This comes in handy in one of my use cases, which is editing pictures sent by a client's employees for use on the company's Web site. Each employee's phone or camera is "off" in different ways, but the corrections needed tend to be consistent for pictures taken by each individual device. In other words, a given device will always produce pictures that are "X" percent too warm, "Y" percent overexposed, or whatever. In the Develop persona, all the fixes can be applied in one screen and saved with one click. Multiply the click savings by dozens of images, and it adds up to measurable time savings.

When the reality of your workday is a seemingly unending procession of clicks, reducing the clicks needed to do a repetitive task makes a huge difference in productivity. When I first switched to Affinity Photo, the reason was because it required the fewest clicks to do what I used to do in Fireworks. I've since come to appreciate it for other reasons, but the initial reason was because it won a number of clicks contest.

Richard

Just a non Affinity tip, if you are on IOS 16 or macOS Monterey you may find a better workflow using Apple Photos built in photo editor which directly supports copying edits from one image to hundreds of other images in a single paste edits click. 

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

Having a similar issue in windows 11 V2.0.3  white balance develop persona.  For raw files specifically, the slider works on the temperature function, but the up or down arrows to the right of the Kelvin Temperature are unresponsive.  I can input the correct temperature and it will adjust. AP2 does NOT crash.

For Jpg's, when I enter into Develop Persona, the entire white balance function is non responsive.  While the up and down arrows to the right inidcate an increase or decrease, there is no effect.  Upon selecting the white balance refresh button, AP2 crashes.  This happens whether I have used a different function within DP first or not.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Sorry that you have experienced this problem with the 2.0.3 release of the Affinity Suite. 

We have now released 2.0.4 on all platforms, and using that build this problem no longer occurs.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon