You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[PHOTO ]Default grid for all documents

In V1 I could simply toggle grid visibility with shortcut - it worked for all images. But in V2 toggling doesn't work for newly opened files - I must first open grid dialog, select preset and then toggling works. Why this extra step? This is stupid, massively counterproductive, annoying and unintuitive. 99% of times I just want deafult preset to be loaded. Can this be done or is it again Serif being Serif?

The Automatic Grid – the default grid when opening images – in Photo changed to a Pixel Grid for V2.

Toggling the grid ON – unless you have already selected a different grid type – will toggle the grid on but you will only see it if the pixels are large enough for the grid to be seen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

FYI - 

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I support this issue.  I use Photo to edit existing photos, not creating new documents with a template.

In Photo1 (and PS) when I press the Grid shortcut I get a usable grid that you can see, and that does not need to be re-configured with every photo that I open.  This works even while in the middle of another transform, which is excellent.

In Photo2 it defaults to drawing a border around every pixel, which IMO is redundant and useless when photo editing.  So with EVERY photo I work on, i have to stop what I am doing, go into View>Grid etc. and load up my pre-set. 

When I am trying to get though many photos in an hour it seriously impacts my workflow, and makes me want to go back to Photo1 every time.

Hi all,

I'm an Affinity V1 user who moved to V2 on release day.  I figured enough of this out on my own but just had to come here to see if anyone else is as frustrated with this new behavior to make a most about it, and they did.  I hope it is considered.  Let me restate the issue:

In V1, the default 32x32 grid was sufficient and I could toggle it on (by simply pressing Ctrl+').  In V2, the default grid is not sufficient because I am not working at 1px scale.  I must first define my preferences and save this as a preset.  Next, for each subsequent image, I am required to open 'View > Grids and Axis...', then select the grid preset that I created (no keyboard shortcuts to ease any of this are provided).

This would not be solved by a document template because the images are not 'new'; I am dropping them onto Photo's windows from my file manager.

Proposed solution: Ideally, Photo should have a 'Set as default' button in 'View > Grids and Axis...', or have a 'Default grid' option in the 'Preferences' window that exposes the same grid preset selection dropdown box seen in the 'Grids and Axis...' window.  At a minimum, Photo v2 should at least remember the last selected grid preset and use that instead.

• 3 months later...

The failure to be able to bring up a preferred default grid with one click is an absolute pain - one clearly suffered by many users as this thread shows.

A tedious work around is to make a custom macro but there is no ability to run macros in develop persona where a -usable- grid is often needed to adjust distorts etc. 

I had hoped that release 2.1.0 addressed this requirement and eagerly checked on updating - not so.   Can we - please - have this simple measure on the next update?

50 minutes ago, spiderpod7d said:

There is a shortcut for this. Command ' will toggle the grid on and off at least in 2.1.0 for MAC. Quick solution

It's only a solution, in Affinity Photo 2, if you have configured a grid other than the default Automatic setting. The default there is a Pixel Grid, with 1px x 1px divisions, and is only visible if you zoom in quite a ways, or if the image is quite small.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

54 minutes ago, spiderpod7d said:

Hi Again

There is a shortcut for this. Command ' will toggle the grid on and off at least in 2.1.0 for MAC. Quick solution

Again, this is not a solution for the problem outlined in this thread.  Please, let's not confuse things further.

• 5 months later...
  • Staff

I'm happy to confirm that the latest beta version, Affinity Photo 2.3.0.2114 has made the following improvements:

1. The default behaviour of View > Show Grid has been returned to match Affinity Photo V1's behaviour - meaning the 'Automatic' Grid will be applied, which changes the frequency of grid subdivisions as you zoom in/zoom out.

2. A new separate Pixel Grid option is available in all Affinity apps, under View > Show Pixel Grid. You can  find out more about this feature here .

If you wish to test these changes, you can sign up for our beta program using the information below:

Many thanks for your feedback here, as it helps us to continue to improve the Affinity Suite :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi Dan

This is great but the beta 2.3.0 (2114) once you close an image doesn't open the image window so the grid improvements are redundant when one can't see the image selected but not opened.

This bug should have been fixed before issuing the beta release so we could take advantage of the new grid features?

On 12 core MacPro with 96 GB of Ram running Ventura 13.6.1 and the above Beta.

• Staff

Sorry to hear this - please report any issues with the beta apps in the beta section of the forums so our team can investigate further. I've linked this below:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/139-other-new-bugs-and-issues-in-the-betas/

Thanks in advance!

Please note -

Many thanks!