You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Undo reverts ALL edits in adjustment panels

fatpo

finally Affinity bring back the ability undo/redo edits in the Adjustments filters. (curves, levels, HSL etc)
Except, undo just re-sets the entire adjustment panel to it's default state instead of undoing the last tweak made. 🤦‍♂️

Which is a pain. You'd think an 'upgrade' would carry on from where it left off and add functionality, not omit basic, and I mean really basic features from the existing package.

I wish I'd never upgraded to V2, I bought this to use it, not beta test it.

I am not seeing this behaviour which you describe with Affinity Photo version 1. And to be honest I do not recall this from earlier work. I make a few adjustments and the undo will remove all the adjustments. It is the same behaviour from the new version as well. For what it is worth I am on Mac OS 11.7

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

15 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I am not seeing this behaviour which you describe with Affinity Photo version 1. And to be honest I do not recall this from earlier work. I make a few adjustments and the undo will remove all the adjustments. It is the same behaviour from the new version as well. For what it is worth I am on Mac OS 11.7

Trust me, it's there. I use it daily.

Go to Preferences > Assistant > disable 'Enable Assistant'

now open up Layer Effects (something like Inner Shadow with several sliders) move each one. Then Command Z and you'll see each action undo one at a time. Click Redo and the reverse happens. 
Open an Adjustment and try this and it undoes envy edit instead of the last one made. This is the bug. 

It was always that undo works mostly for operations which have beed finished and recorded as individual entry into the history panel. It was never possible to undo small UI input like slider settings in filters or adjustments.

Exceptions:

• if you use the lasso tool for masking, undo works on last user input.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

1 minute ago, NotMyFault said:

It was always that undo works mostly for operations which have beed finished and recorded as individual entry into the history panel. It was never possible to undo small UI input like slider settings in filters or adjustments.

Exceptions:

• if you use the lasso tool for masking, undo works on last user input.

Thanks @NotMyFault, but this has always been possible. See above reply to Old Bruce, have a go and marvel at something you've been missing out on to improve your workflow 😀

• Staff

Hi @fatpo

When you set the adjustment parameters, the state is recorded in the history panel as one action 'Set adjustment parameters'. If you undo then it will set the parameters back to the last state, e.g. default settings.

This is expected behaviour, it is the same in v1 and v2. 

1 hour ago, EmT said:

Hi @fatpo

When you set the adjustment parameters, the state is recorded in the history panel as one action 'Set adjustment parameters'. If you undo then it will set the parameters back to the last state, e.g. default settings.

This is expected behaviour, it is the same in v1 and v2. 

Thanks @EmT, but i think judging by all the replies there must be some misunderstanding somewhere. Hopefully the screen shots will show what I mean. At the risk of repeating myself, I've use this daily in the 3 years I've been exclusively using Affinity products.
In V1 ALL Effects and adjustments panes remembered each action and could be done and undone. In V2 it's only working with layer affects in both Designer and Photo. See attached images. Hopefully they upload in order... :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

please open this history panel, and include it in the screenshots. Actions that get an entry in history panel can be undone / redone.

You are right that layer fx get immediately an entry for the first move of the slider, but not for succeeding movements of the same slider - unless you switch to another different slider.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

and several users say that we cannot reproduce your claim that it is a bug, or deviates from what we see in V1, or is documented in help:

https://affinity.help/photo2/English.lproj/index.html

Using undo, redo and history

It's easy to revert changes to a file when you've either made a mistake or if you simply don't like the result.

Any edits you make to your document are stored in the History panel. You can then use this, or keyboard shortcuts, to undo an edit. You can also redo an edit which you have recently undone.

11 minutes ago, fatpo said:

... all i'm trying to report is that in V2.0.3 this behaviour it's not working for Adjustments

[weeps...]

And all we are saying is that it never has worked for Adjustments. Your examples are always of Layer Effects, not of Adjustments. Go back to V1, and see how Adjustments work.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 month later...

My experience in V2 is that Undo isn't even available when an adjustment modal is the focus. Undo is greyed out in the menu and pressing Command-Z does nothing but sound an alert. I have to close the adjustment modal to restore any undo/redo functionality at all.

This is absolute madness, and I can't understand why anyone would expect it to work this way. I agree with the OP: each individual change while working in the adjustment modal should be undoable. If that got consolidated into one undoable event after closing the modal, that would be fine by me. (I can't remember if Photoshop behaves like that, but I do know it allowed me to undo individual adjustments.)

Affinity seems to have a unique knack for adding things to history when it's not helpful and not adding them when it would be helpful.