You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity V1 or V2

I'm sorry, but I would still be interested in an example of a tutorial for "absolute beginners", which will not be easily adapted to V2 due to the mentioned changes in the "quite different" UI.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

4 hours ago, jsampson45 said:

but to adapt tutorials for v.2  one will need a good knowledge of v.1 to start with.

So you're saying it's difficult to adapt the tutorials from V1 to V2? What tutorials, where are you finding this?

Affinity Photo, Official Tutorials-Listed on this Forum

Affinity Photo Version 1 Tutorials-Listed on Forum

YouTube has a boatload of tutorials for Affinity apps. There's also a lot of 1 vs 2 videos. So I'm not sure why or what specific tutorial would lead you to believe adapting is so difficult.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

9 hours ago, jsampson45 said:

The UI has been changed, which means that things have been moved about.

I have not given it much thought but I think the only things of significance that have been moved are menu items like those to show/hide the Studio panel windows. They are now in the Windows menu while in V1 they were in the View > Studio submenu.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just now, R C-R said:

I have not given it much thought but I think the only things of significance that have been moved are menu items like those to show/hide the Studio panel windows. They are now in the Windows menu while in V1 they were in the View > Studio submenu.

And they have also been restructured, so it may take a little bit of looking in the menu to find what you need.

But other than that, and the different icons for Tools, the V2 UI is more similar to the V1 UI than it is dissimilar, I think.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

And they have also been restructured, so it may take a little bit of looking in the menu to find what you need.

One thing that changed in that respect is the addition of a Window > Text submenu with the show/hide options for the Character, Glyph Browser, Paragraph, & Text Styles Studios. In V1 they were in the Text menu ... & Text Styles appeared redundantly both in the Text & in the View > Studio submenu.

So I guess it is fair to say that more than a few menu items have been moved & reorganized in V2 vs. in V1.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

So I guess it is fair to say that more than a few menu items have been moved & reorganized in V2 vs. in V1.

While I'll agree with this, I find it hard to accept people don't look, click around in the apps to learn them. For instance, the Studio Menus. They just moved them next door, under the Windows menu. Not finding that on your own, appears to be lacking the desire to learn, and or laziness. Are people afraid they will destroy their computers by clicking around? I once was, (Win 3.0) and learned from a PC tech, not to be. While the OS may crash, the PC is not going to explode.

Perhaps Serif needs to include as about the first instruction we see after installing, is Please explore the complete interface. Click on everything you can to see what happens. If it freezes up, don't worry, there's a Reset function for that.....

I must be weird, when I forget or don't know, where a specific menu item is, I'll click on a main menu, then read the sub-menu line by line looking. Going through all if need be. Sometimes I'm still blind to it, so will try again. :)

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

35 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

While I'll agree with this, I find it hard to accept people don't look, click around in the apps to learn them. For instance, the Studio Menus. They just moved them next door, under the Windows menu. Not finding that on your own, appears to be lacking the desire to learn, and or laziness.

While it is something I do when new to an app, I can't really agree with the idea that not doing so is just laziness or a lack of desire to learn. For instance, when a tutorial video doesn't match what the app shows, it can make one think there is something wrong with the app installation or how one is trying to use it.

Affinity Photo 

59 minutes ago, R C-R said:

While it is something I do when new to an app, I can't really agree with the idea that not doing so is just laziness or a lack of desire to learn. For instance, when a tutorial video doesn't match what the app shows, it can make one think there is something wrong with the app installation or how one is trying to use it.

And there are a lot of tutorials out there that will misleadingly use Affinity instead of Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, Affinity Publisher in their titles. This can cause confusion when you are looking for information for Publisher and are watching a tutorial named "How to use Affinity to ...." and the tutorial is about using Designer.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

And there are a lot of tutorials out there that will misleadingly use Affinity instead of Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, Affinity Publisher in their titles. This can cause confusion when you are looking for information for Publisher and are watching a tutorial named "How to use Affinity to ...." and the tutorial is about using Designer.

It seems rather odd to me that this happens so often. Users of Serif's legacy software products would often post to the support forums about 'using Serif' or something like that, but I don't recall seeing tutorials that failed to specify PagePlus, DrawPlus, or whatever.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)