You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Separated Mode should be a foundational assumption

Great software overall. Thank you for the amazing one-shot pricing. That said...

Separated mode is a basic, and for a lot of people, essential feature. If I had known this was dropped from V2 it would have made me hesitate a long time before buying as quickly as I did. I'm kind of feeling like there should have been a conspicuous warning somewhere that it was not included in V2, nobody expects features to go backwards in new versions.

Way back in the day, the fact that Mac could run Adobe with just floating toolbars, and no awkward "application window" around them, was a godsend for designers. Those of us who used Windows instead/as well had to contend with the primitive OS requirements of Microsoft which signalled clearly that Windows was not an ideal design/graphics environment. 

Removing the separated mode option is just stunning to me, and signals a return to an awkward, older sort of unpolished era in graphics software.

Even tablets are moving towards floating app windows, and ultimately floating file windows. The ability to provide this will affect whether Affinity is seen as a clunky older software, or a forward-looking app that intends to compete in the future.

Crossing my fingers in hope this huge shortcoming will be addressed in the next update. Seriously, this app window things is just really awkward and annoying, like something that's just always getting in your way as you try to work.

https://affinity.help/designer2/en-US.lproj/pages/Workspace/workspaceModes.html > "About 'tearable' document windows"

A.k.a. Windows menu > Float VIew To Window

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

6 minutes ago, loukash said:

https://affinity.help/designer2/en-US.lproj/pages/Workspace/workspaceModes.html > "About 'tearable' document windows"

A.k.a. Windows menu > Float VIew To Window

Yes I know about that thanks, its not the same thing. If I close all files, Im still looking at a big grey box blocking my view of the desktop. Really annoying.

This is just a workaround and I know it's not the same thing as separated mode, but if you can live with the toolbar and context bar at the bottom of your screen you can sort of simulate it. Undock your tools and studio panels and drag them out of the parent window before dragging that window to the bottom of the screen.

1111639213_Screenshot2022-11-16at11_14_33AM.thumb.png.8ed21d6ed3f9e22c2d3b51822624e7ca.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

25 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

This is just a workaround and I know it's not the same thing as separated mode, but if you can live with the toolbar and context bar at the bottom of your screen you can sort of simulate it. Undock your tools and studio panels and drag them out of the parent window before dragging that window to the bottom of the screen.

Yes clever workaround - would be almost usable for me if you could set up as you want and save a studio pre-set like you could with separated mode in V1, so you can easily move back and fourth, but this doesn't work, it saves and splits off the studio panels but you have to manually engage float view in window and undock tools and manually move the main window down to the bottom and switching presets back also involves a bit of faffing around, I'm hoping the inability to drag and drop between windows is just a bug? and real shame about using mac Applications shortcut to view thumbnails of all Affinity file windows you have open (a godsend for flipping over to the file you want in a couple of clicks, especially if you have loads of files open) 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

3 hours ago, Dazmondo77 said:

manually move the main window down to the bottom

I haven't tested it with v2 yet but this should be scriptable via MacOS UI scripting and Automator or 3rd party automation tools like Keyboard Maestro. Also, all menu commands are scriptable via UI, so you can actually create a whole sequence of automated steps.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

56 minutes ago, Snow Creative said:

Why on earth was separated mode removed?

Consistency and "feature parity" with the Windows version.

8 minutes ago, Snow Creative said:

More like "lack of feature" parity.

Fair enough, but likely better to blame Microsoft here, I guess…

13 hours ago, loukash said:

Consistency and "feature parity" with the Windows version.

i think this is unification needed for scripting support. It is clear Serif changed the style of all apps on all platforms to be unified and i suspect that they just started to use single ui frameworks across everything. This is unavoidable step for scripting support without the need to tweak it to each platform... But this unification has its price... imho.

1 minute ago, IPv6 said:

This is unavoidable to add scripting support without the need to tweak it to each platform

Especially since UI scripting of v1 Separated Mode was a major p.i.t.a. Been there, tried that… :/ 

4 hours ago, loukash said:

Fair enough, but likely better to blame Microsoft here, I guess…

Blame Microsoft for a decision Affinity made about hobbling a key feature of a Mac Suite's interoperability within a busy desktop environment?