You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Right-to-Left text support

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @Holod.

This is a function that has never been supported in the Affinity applications in V1, and which V2 has not added.

It would require a major development effort to include it, and Serif has not said when that might occur. It is not just something that can be "fixed", unfortunately.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

32 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @Holod.

This is a function that has never been supported in the Affinity applications in V1, and which V2 has not added.

It would require a major development effort to include it, and Serif has not said when that might occur. It is not just something that can be "fixed", unfortunately.

have they considered a simple text reverse button ?

my current workaround is to run the following code in browser DevTools console and get reversed text from that

const text_reverse = (text) => [...text].reverse().join("");

They want to do it properly, which means it affects all the text layout functions as well as the character composition functions.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/9/2022 at 1:52 PM, walt.farrell said:

t would require a major development effort to include it,

I have no doubt that it is not a question of merely adding in a couple lines of code or some quick update, but this description would seem to beggar belief: Pixelmator and ArtStudio Pro both support right-to-left text entry, not to mention Pages, Numbers, Keynote and even Word. The former two are not gigantic operations. If it's not Serif's priority, that's one thing, because they should just make it clear. But the notion that by itself, requiring "a major development effort" for an OS (either desktop or mobile) that has the support baked in can make one a bit skeptical. 

45 minutes ago, Elian Gonzalez said:

But the notion that by itself, requiring "a major development effort" for an OS (either desktop or mobile) that has the support baked in can make one a bit skeptical. 

The adaptation of the text engine is equivalent to a new development. 
For a rather small company like Serif, every development step must be economically calculable. 
After all, it's not enough just to redevelop the text input. Linguistic differences must also be taken into account.

All of this must be taken into account in a cost-benefit analysis.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

47 minutes ago, Elian Gonzalez said:

If it's not Serif's priority, that's one thing, because they should just make it clear.

It is a combination of difficulty (it's a large development effort) and priority (the item is perhaps not a big enough priority to justify the development effort).

-- Walt
PC:

4 hours ago, Elian Gonzalez said:

But the notion that by itself, requiring "a major development effort" for an OS (either desktop or mobile) that has the support baked in can make one a bit skeptical.

At least Publisher, I doubt it uses the OS text engine. Not even Pages uses it on the Mac. At the same time, I doubt any OS includes the text engine of a page layout program.

Paolo

7 minutes ago, Cendol said:

I wonder if Serif will at least acknowledge and tell us if they will ever support or not.

I can’t imagine Serif ever stating unequivocally that they will not support it.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I have a brilliant javascript for InDesign which flips text which is ideal for shorts burst of RTL text.  Hopefully sometime soon we'll get scripting support and then I can hopefully modify it to work with Publisher.

Base Unit:  Standard model M1 Mac Mini - until such time as I can afford a new or used Studio - albeit running its OS from an external NVMe (2TB).

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro Retina - i7, 16GB, 2TB SSD

Server: Mac Mini 2014 - i5, 16GB, 2TB SSD

Workshop: HP G4 running as a Hackintosh until more funds can be found to upgrade it.

Software:  Affinity Suite (ver. 2), Office 365, Fusion360, OnShape, Carbide Create, Cura, Inkscape

15 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It is a combination of difficulty (it's a large development effort) and priority (the item is perhaps not a big enough priority to justify the development effort).

It is not only about development costs vs profit - getting potential buyers of the application, but also about the lack of development capacity. Then redirecting these development capacities means suspending/postponing other work, thus delaying the development of new features and bug fixes, which in turn causes dissatisfaction and churn of existing users to other applications. Serif is simply a small company with a small development team (increasing the number of developers or buying technology would of course increase the price of the applications, and thus the possible loss of many existing customers), so it cannot satisfy all customers immediately, but it must consider all the consequences when setting priorities.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 7 months later...

I too am very disappointed that RTL is not an option.  I do love affinity, but now I will have to find another source to do a large portion of my work that was intended for Affinity.  Again, I love Affinity so far, but I am really hoping that this becomes an option really soon.