You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

hide marked square for colouring

im wondering if there is a way to chose a layer but not have that annoying square around the chosen object shown. im trying out different colour schemes and the box around every layer makes it quite impossible to actually see what colour im choosing. yes i can zoom in, but then i cant see the whole project, witch is nessesary.
i have also tried to change colour to the grid lines and supportlines since they ar to thick and to much in the way of my eyes. that did not work at all, is that function broken?. but the guides i can hide at least, i want to do the same with the square marked layer, and still be able to colour. 
 i can choose the paintbrush tool, and then its gone, but then i cant colour the whole layer at once. 

Skärmavbild 2022-05-07 kl. 20.42.19.png

The box with the transform nodes is called the bounding box or base box, it indicates which layer is selected and highlights the object on that layer, the only option to hide this is when moving the object on the layer.

All I can suggest is you make a request here for the ability to hide the bounding box when a layer is selected. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

17 minutes ago, globso said:

im wondering if there is a way to chose a layer but not have that annoying square around the chosen object shown.

Switch to the Hand tool.

22 minutes ago, globso said:

i want to do the same with the square marked layer,

Are you meaning the background checkerboard which indicates transparency?

23 minutes ago, globso said:

i can choose the paintbrush tool, and then its gone, but then i cant colour the whole layer at once. 

Try using the Flood Fill Tool on a Pixel layer if you are in Photo. In Designer you would use the Pixel Persona and the Flood Fill tool and again you would be on a Pixel layer.

The stuff about the inability to change colours of the grid and what I guess is the Column Guides is not broken here. Have you brought up the appropriate Managers from the View > ... menu?

478536584_ScreenShot2022-05-07at12_28_24PM.png.91380d7c3325f36cba9932e416926aea.png

1529367706_ScreenShot2022-05-07at12_28_27PM.png.20253fbc024b043bb4ee6695b94057af.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

11 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Switch to the Hand tool.

Are you meaning the background checkerboard which indicates transparency?

Try using the Flood Fill Tool on a Pixel layer if you are in Photo. In Designer you would use the Pixel Persona and the Flood Fill tool and again you would be on a Pixel layer.

The stuff about the inability to change colours of the grid and what I guess is the Column Guides is not broken here. Have you brought up the appropriate Managers from the View > ... menu?

478536584_ScreenShot2022-05-07at12_28_24PM.png.91380d7c3325f36cba9932e416926aea.png

1529367706_ScreenShot2022-05-07at12_28_27PM.png.20253fbc024b043bb4ee6695b94057af.png

1. Yes! the hand tool did the job. not the most obvious solution at all, but it worked. and i cant for my life understand why there have to be so many tool shifts to make stuff. if i want to change colour, just let me. not just with some of the tools, a random bunch it seems?

2. no its the "bounding box" i refere to and want gone sometimes (also would like to change colour to to make less of a laser beem in the eye colour:). "firstdefence" answered that question. 

3. if i use a pixel layer to colour, how will that work with the vector layers? it wont be destroyed when resized? 

4. hm, the change of grid colour works. but not the colour of the guides for some reason. i would also love a working short command for snaping guides on and of. on mac the "cmd ;" command only opens up "preferences user interface".  cmd ; is also just an awful combination of buttons to do with one hand on a mac:) 

Skärmavbild 2022-05-08 kl. 08.54.02.png

4a. You can’t change the colour of the guides – this has been requested many times. You can change the colour of the Columns Guides and Row Guides, which is what you see in your latest screenshot, but not the guides (the thin vertical/horizontal line guides).

4b. When using most functions you can, in Windows, keep the Alt key pressed down – after you start manipulating the layer – to temporarily disable snapping; it’s probably a different key on Macs but it should be available.

13 hours ago, firstdefence said:

The box with the transform nodes is called the bounding box or base box

For parametric shapes, the base box is the container that you get by default; the bounding box is what you get if you press the period (full stop) key on your keyboard.

You can see the difference easily if you draw a regular five-pointed Star shape. The base box is square and it touches the top point but there are small gaps at the sides and a large gap at the bottom, whereas the bounding box touches all five points (and therefore isn’t square).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

4b. When using most functions you can, in Windows, keep the Alt key pressed down – after you start manipulating the layer – to temporarily disable snapping; it’s probably a different key on Macs but it should be available.

The Mac equivalent of the ‘Alt’ key is the ‘Option’ key, traditionally labelled as . Some Mac keyboards have that key labelled as alt, but it’s the same thing.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

6 minutes ago, GarryP said:

4a. You can’t change the colour of the guides – this has been requested many times. You can change the colour of the Columns Guides and Row Guides, which is what you see in your latest screenshot, but not the guides (the thin vertical/horizontal line guides).

4a. ah i see, thats a shame:(

4b. its not changing snap on/off, its the show guides on/off that does not work. that is, i dont want to see the guides or grid sometimes when i work, and to shut it off i have to go in to the menu to uncheck it because the hotkey "command ;" is broken. its just a shame, but not much to do about it. i have read other threads about it and it seems to have been broken quite some time. 

51 minutes ago, Hens said:

And I seldom use guides but create helperlines which can have any color or transparency 😉
You can group,make them invisible and lock them  in the layerspanel.
You can disable snap to visible objects in the snapping manager,if needed.

If grouped (or nested in a Layer layer) its single lines don't really snap any more but the Group's (or Layer's) bounding box only.

Does one know a way to force snapping to all items of grouped layers? – It was discussed and demonstrated here before:

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

15 hours ago, globso said:

As you have a vector layer selected in the Layers panel, you can color it using the Color panel, or the Swatches panel.

And as Hens mentioned, by holding the space bar you can temporarily hide the box.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

thanks all. yes that grid template layer looks really neat! i think i´ll have that a go. I dont really understand how to change the shortcut for the guide on/off in preferences but ill look in to it. i cant even find that shortcut in preferences (but it is stated that it is cmd ; when you go view show/hide guides. 
 ill check in to this. its not the whole world if its not working, just a little enoying. and if i can make my own grids and guides that would solve the problem over all.

57 minutes ago, Hens said:

Use geometry>merge curves

30 minutes ago, Hens said:

but works for the nodetool.

Hm? To me neither the merged Curves layer nor various hide/snap-to-visible-only settings do cause snapping for such custom guide objects.

And, the Node Tool already works with groups, it would not need to merge single guides to a Curves object. – But the Node Tool works with objects of type "(Curve)" only,  it would require to convert other types like the shape tool objects or text frames to curves.

Also, with the Move Tool and shape objects (e.g. rectangle, text) I already can cause snapping to grouped custom guides if I drag 1 edge of its bounding box only – but not when I drag the entire object. I wonder why it is coded to work this limited way, the need to alter a shape is not a useful price to get an object snapping.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

9 hours ago, Alfred said:

For parametric shapes, the base box is the container that you get by default; the bounding box is what you get if you press the period (full stop) key on your keyboard.

Thanks! I never knew the period key cycled the selection box. Perhaps a bit oddly, in the Mac version of AD, in Keyboard preferences > Miscellaneous there is an option to set that but even when it is empty the period key still cycles the selection box. I can even set it to something else, like Option+ backslash, & both work to cycle the box.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7