You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have tried to find a suitable FFT Denoise tutorial but other than the manual (yes I did RTFM) I cannot get anywhere. 

I was asked if if I could advise an Estate Agent who was putting together animated stills of a property and it was under attack from Moire patterns. Front aspect of property with tiled roof.
It has now turned into a "mission"!!!!
I was sent samples and was surprised that they had done nothing wrong. Both video size and data rate were good. The stills were razor sharp so my first port of call was to put the still in my old Photoshop and use the deinterlace filter. It certainly showed the problem whether Upper or Lower field was selected (in PS filter). (I don't think such a filter exists in A Photo).

I then turned to tools within my Video editing software to animate and was able and to tame the problem, using a cocktail of two filters.

However, as I was now on a "mission" I turned to Affinity to see what I could do with the original pic. The problem is the tiled roof so any filter I needed to "Paint" on the tiles only. At that stage I was out of AP skillset!!!!

The Deinterlaced file (PS filter) shows the inherent problem.

Thanks for any links, advice etc. As I said I can resolve in my video software but want to explore all other remedies.

Crop 1 Dint.jpg

Crop 1.jpg

31 minutes ago, joe_l said:

I am afraid the G'MIC plugin with its moire filter does not produce anything better than your second image. :(

moire.jpg

Arghhh! the second image is effectively a crop from the original. Well it was worth a try. 

Thanks for your advice.

Best I could in about 5 minutes, doubt I would want to spend much longer than that unless the Estate Agent was paying you for the work

Mainly FFT filter to get rid of the Moire then a couple of touch up layers

roof2.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I have had a fair amount of luck with a simple tenth of a pixel Gaussian blur applied to images and having that get rid of most if not all the Moire.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

If the roof resists fixing, why not just go around the problem? This took me about 5-8 minutes, using a New Pixel Layer and the Clone brush. With more time, a better result would still be an easy solution.

556121081_MoireRoof.jpg.04792bee06ac791adc47c75318e3b1ba.jpg

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

3 hours ago, DavidDoesAffinity said:

When you added the FFT was it constrained just to the roof area

Yes, a quick copy of the roof area to a new layer then FFT on that layer only

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

4 hours ago, smadell said:

If the roof resists fixing, why not just go around the problem? This took me about 5-8 minutes, using a New Pixel Layer and the Clone brush. With more time, a better result would still be an easy solution.

556121081_MoireRoof.jpg.04792bee06ac791adc47c75318e3b1ba.jpg

Which would be fine except that it is for an Estate Agent and has to be somewhere near not fake.

Hi @DavidDoesAffinity

I cannot guarantee that this will work. I would need a better quality image to be sure.
But you can try this.

Its a destructive workflow, so start by duplicating the background, name it "Emboss" and change the blending mode to Soft Light.
Next go to Filters > Colours > Emboss
This filter will shift the edges.

moireemboss.jpg.c8f3f85963ecaa59ea88328cf7193460.jpg

After masking you can try to reduce the opacity of the "Emboss" layer to keep the maximum amount of details.

On 5/6/2022 at 1:05 PM, DavidDoesAffinity said:

in my old Photoshop and use the deinterlace filter. It certainly showed the problem whether Upper or Lower field was selected (in PS filter). (I don't think such a filter exists in A Photo).

Affinity Photo has a deinterlace filter, with even/odd sub-variants, but only as destructive filter. With help of Procedural texture filter it is possible to achieve the same effect non-destructively (but you require a copy of the layer shifted by 1 px, or add a perspective live filter).

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

4 hours ago, Lisbon said:

Hi @DavidDoesAffinity

I cannot guarantee that this will work. I would need a better quality image to be sure.
But you can try this.

Its a destructive workflow, so start by duplicating the background, name it "Emboss" and change the blending mode to Soft Light.
Next go to Filters > Colours > Emboss
This filter will shift the edges.

moireemboss.jpg.c8f3f85963ecaa59ea88328cf7193460.jpg

After masking you can try to reduce the opacity of the "Emboss" layer to keep the maximum amount of details.

I fell at the first hurdle as I couldn't figure out how to get the blending mode Soft Light onto the duplicated layer as is. All