You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please continue to post to your original thread so that the discussion is kept in one place:

Have you tried to follow the instructions linked below?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I have been looking at that stuff. And Im am not sure, if I will be able to mange that. Is there an instruktion video?

Unfortunately I had to give up InDesign, when I bought my new Mac, because Adobe has changed their conditions. And Affinyity was said to be the natural alternative.

I am very, very surprised and disappointed, that I have to do this kind of work in 2022 with an application I have paid for.

I have worked with text and DTP on Mac in 30 years. I don't remember, where I have ever met an application, where spelling and hyphenation was not just built in. When I write in MS Word, it just detect in which language I am writing (I also write a lot in Italian). Doesn't the Affinity team know how to do that?

52 minutes ago, Ove Steen said:

I am very, very surprised and disappointed, that I have to do this kind of work in 2022 with an application I have paid for.

You’re not alone!

52 minutes ago, Ove Steen said:

When I write in MS Word, it just detect in which language I am writing (I also write a lot in Italian). Doesn't the Affinity team know how to do that?

Apparently not. Support for additional interface languages also seems to present a major challenge.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

23 hours ago, Alfred said:

Support for additional interface languages also seems to present a major challenge.

I suspect the biggest challenge for that in a company the size of Serif is finding & hiring enough people who are fluent in the various languages of the world to add UI support for them. Adding full UI support for more than a few of them also might increase the size of the apps considerably if that included all the help topics, tooltips, menu items, & so on.

Yet another challenge might be in making sure there is enough space allocated everywhere in the UI for all the text items for each language to be displayed without truncation. (I think there are already some problems with that even in the US English Mac versions when the UI is set to use the Large Font UI size.)

Certainly not insurmountable challenges but perhaps more complex than one might think.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I have tried to follow the instruktions: Go to:

https://github.com/LibreOffice/dictionaries

Looking for danish I come to:

https://github.com/LibreOffice/dictionaries/commit/cb4ec680e582197c2fac3aa94798c4df9bb86ca2#

There is nothing with hyphenation. I can't find a download button. There is a buttonI end up with this message:

"Large diffs are not rendered by default" (????) - What does that mean?

Er der nogen danske brugere tilstede, der er kommet videre herfra? (Are there any Danish users present who have progressed from here?)

9 minutes ago, Ove Steen said:

I have tried to follow the instruktions

You do not need to download the dictionaries from there. You can download them from @DWright's post located two posts above yours (3 above this one).

Also the FAQ include direct links, so you don't need to go to the dictionaries page at GitHub. You just need to read all of the FAQ, not stop with the first post, as they're in the second post.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I am no expert on this but https://github.com/LibreOffice/dictionaries/tree/master/da_DK seems to have the files you need.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Now I Got help from the supporter at the Danish Affinitity dealer. And now Danish appears as hyphenation language. Hyphenation has been set to auto. I just wonder why not one single line in my document of six pages has been hyphenated after that.

35 minutes ago, Ove Steen said:

Now I Got help from the supporter at the Danish Affinitity dealer. And now Danish appears as hyphenation language. Hyphenation has been set to auto. I just wonder why not one single line in my document of six pages has been hyphenated after that.

If you created text, then changed the setting, it does not apply to the existing text unless you had assigned a Paragraph Text Style to the text and you changed the setting in that Paragraph Text Style.

There is no setting of "auto" that would apply to the entire document. It is assigned to paragraphs, via either the Paragraph panel or a Paragraph Text Style. If assigned via the Paragraph panel, it applies either to:

• New paragraphs, if you have no paragraph selected when you set it; or
  • Whatever paragraphs you have selected when you set it.

(Note: to change a single paragraph you can change the setting while the text cursor is anywhere within that paragraph. To change multiple paragraphs you need to select all of them. For a set of linked text frames you could click in the text where you want to start making the change, then use Cmd+A (Mac) or Ctrl+A (Windows) to select everything in that linked set.)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 hours ago, Ove Steen said:

Now I Got help from the supporter at the Danish Affinitity dealer.

Just curious, but what Danish dealer do you mean?

Affinity Photo 

4 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Just curious, but what Danish dealer do you mean?

The name of my Danish dealer is: e-Gear - https://e-gear.dk

Now I have tried to:

1) create a new document, put in some text in English (copied from Wikipeadia), select English for spelling and hyphenation, see that the text is hyphenated

2) delete the English text, put in some text in Danish, select Danish for spelling and hyphenation, see that the text is not hyphenated

19 minutes ago, Ove Steen said:

2) delete the English text, put in some text in Danish, select Danish for spelling and hyphenation, see that the text is not hyphenated

Can you give us your sample .afpub document with the Danish text in it? That will help us analyze your problem.

-- Walt
PC:

A non--exprt wriytes:

1) Tick this
2) Adjust these so that you don't get the yellow nasties

I'll admit to having not explored the en_GB version but maybe it's just a lousy hyphenation dictionary

DanishHyphen.png

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

I agree with David, @Ove Steen.

When I open your .afpub file the paragraphs are not set to use Automatic Hyphenation. You need to enable that for all the text via the Paragraph panel or a Paragraph Text Style.

-- Walt
PC:

19 minutes ago, Ove Steen said:

The possibillities stop when I get to optimal alignment.

You have to look at the Paragraph panel.

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

I think, that was the solution. Thant you for help and patience to those who have followed my questions. I would really recommend those, who a responsible, to make some changes in the help section of Affinity Publisher.

When you look for "Hyphenation" don't with a long philosofical story about hyphenation. Just tell first: how to do it and how to find the place to set the check mark. In comparison with other applications like Word and InDesign it is hidden. 

Maybe pther parts of the Help could the same care.

And please think: when the application does not exist in versions for every language, you should explain clear and understandable. I can see that Affinity has it's own way to work with many aspects, that new users are not used to.

Thank you

Ove Steen Smidt, Denmark