You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity publisher stuck on loading document.

hey, so I've been trying to open my affinity publisher file for days now. it keeps saying loading 1 document and never opens. it can be loading for nearly a day and still not open. it uses so much of the laptops RAM to try to open the file but never actually opens. I am using a MacBook Pro 2017 version. 

More info is needed:

How large is this file according to Finder? Do other afpub files open OK? How much RAM is installed on your MBP?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

If it's just the one document it looks like it could be corrupted.

You can upload the document to the forum to see if others can open/fix it

or if it is private request a Dropbox link (in this thread) and one of the Support staff will oblige

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Its my first time using the affinity publisher, the file is 1.42GB. I honestly don't understand how it got that big. Just placed a few PDFs. I tried to do some research and it says changing them to linked documents will help. Is that a better solution ? 

Changing them to linked documents will certainly help with the size

If you get that option when opening the document try that.

But make sure you copy the document first or that it is already saved on your daily backups

If you manage to open the document via the above method, then do a Save as... to a NEW file name which also helps clean things up

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

hey guys. affinity publisher has really been giving me hard time. I linked all the pdfs and the size of the file reduced. But now its taking so much RAM and storage when I open any file. No matter how many times I switch off or restart my laptop.As of now, its taking 26.9GB of storage yet the files are around 200MB.  I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to make the program run faster and not take up as much space. Thanks

1 minute ago, culala said:

hey guys. affinity publisher has really been giving me hard time. I linked all the pdfs and the size of the file reduced. But now its taking so much RAM and storage when I open any file. No matter how many times I switch off or restart my laptop.As of now, its taking 26.9GB of storage yet the files are around 200MB.  I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to make the program run faster and not take up as much space. Thanks

How many PDFs are you talking about, and how big (MB, and number of pages) are they? Each PDF may need to be completely in memory while you're working on the Publisher document, even if they are Linked rather than Embedded, which could take a lot of space.

You might have an improvement by:

• Placing a rasterized image of each page that you need, rather than Placing the entire PDF.
    or
  • Breaking the PDFs apart so each is only 1 page long, and placing the individual pages that way if you need them to remain vector.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for the quick response Walt. The pdfs are all single pages and range in size from a few kb to 20MB. I will try to change the pdfs to JPGs or PNGs to see how it works but I know I will lose the quality of my architectural drawings.

• 2 years later...

Hi @Stern1, both open fine for me. There is a warning for missing resources...on your system are they on your internal drive or on a cloud/external drive

Can you confirm which version you are using. They open fine in v2.3.1

Are you getting a message when they do not open?

Hi ... I am very frustrated that Publisher 2 won't load certain files. Could you try and load it from your end? Then suggest how I open it in my Publisher? I am using imac 2020 with MacOS Sonoma

Thank you Murfee for responding so fast. Yes the missing resources are on an external drive, but neither file will open on my Mac using Publisher 2. Other files won't open also. There is clearly an issue with Publisher that Serif should seriously look into, as this is a birthday card for my Granddaughter I cannot print as I can't download it! I have attached the download message that everyone else is getting.

Like everyone else, I love Publisher and have used it since PagePlus days. But when you can't download a file you have worked hard on, it makes a mockery of the App however good it is. Come on Serif sort it out! 

Could some kind person convert the file to PDF so at least I can repair missing resources and print off a copy. Thank you.

Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 15.15.55.pdf

Hi

What I meant to say before my rambling ... if anyone can open my 2 publisher files and convert to pdf, download here, so I can open them, I would be very grateful.

I just can't open them ... it says downloading, but nothing happens?? Unless anyone has a solution to files not opening in Publisher 2???

Thank you

Sophie 8 Master IN.afpub Sophie 8 Master OUT.afpub

1 minute ago, Stern1 said:

if anyone can open my 2 publisher files and convert to pdf

I have done this already in the post above this

Have you tried copying the files from the external drive to your internal one, then open from there

Are you on the latest version 2.3.1?

Thank you for converting to pdf's. That helps a lot! I hadn't noticed them in the last email for some reason??

I do have the latest version of Publisher, but there are several older files that will not download, even in Publisher 1. But you've proved the files are not corrupt. 

I have also tried copying the files to my desktop, but they won't open. I have other Publisher files I saved originally on my internal hard drive, but they won't download in Publisher. 

I can't believe nobody else has this problem and not complained about it??

I thank you again Murfee for you kind help and hope this problem is looked at by Serif and fixed in the next upgrade.

16 minutes ago, Stern1 said:

I do have the latest version of Publisher, but there are several older files that will not download, even in Publisher 1.

Just to be clear, when you say "download" do you mean download from a web source like iCloud or whatever, or just open in APub if they are saved to your drive on your computer?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the same issue on macOS: the document has less than 1 MB, is in iCloud drive but synced/downloaded as far as I can tell, and when opening it Affinity is stuck, saying "Opening one document". It will open after a couple of minutes.

On Windows, where I also use iCloud drive, I can open the document without problems almost instantly.

Opening the document a second time on macOS is also without delay.

On 2/27/2024 at 6:57 PM, Stern1 said:

I can't believe nobody else has this problem and not complained about it??

Hi Stern!

What you describe is pretty wide spread over the community if you search for "loading document sonoma" or similar. It´s a very frustrating bug.

I also posted here yesterday:

I´m having the same problem with at least 50 projects that I made before Sonoma was out.

The only conclusion I see, for whatever reason, is that files created with a certain previous version of affinity-designer/photo/publisher, can´t be opened on affinity 2.4 on sonoma. (The files open on windows and iPadOS 17 as well no problem.)

I also tried the publisher files you uploaded, as expected, exactly the same result. Works on all systems except Sonoma.  

I have tried everything, moving files to external storage or internal folders off the cloud. Resaving, renaming on a machines that works. Files still won´t open on Sonoma unless I create a bland document on a working system and copy over all the layers. Note that this affects files that have no linked assets whatsoever. 

Hopefully the developers are working on this cause it's been reported a lot.

• 2 weeks later...