You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How would I set up a greeting/thankyou card in Affinity Publisher (or Designer I guess)?

1 hour ago, filoplume said:

Hi,

5x3 1/2 or 5 1/2x4.  Any size that I can send off to a printer.  Standard image on the front, page on the other side, page inside, back page.  That would open from the bottom.  Side would work too.

I do not see any presets in APub.

-paulw

The information provided a few days ago in the Desktop Questions topic A4 Greeting Cards in Affinity may possibly help you out.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

6 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

The information provided a few days ago in the Desktop Questions topic A4 Greeting Cards in Affinity may possibly help you out.

Here’s the thread:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

All right.  Maybe that thread is somehow helping me and I do not know it, but what I want to do is create a card in Affinity Publisher (preferably not Designer as most articles and videos that I have found are using it) that is about 5 inches wide and 4 inches tall.  That is what my local printer used for our Christmas card last year.  And she had envelopes for it that fit great.

It is going to fold in the middle and I want to be able to have content on each page/section.

Attached is the PDF from them from last year.  It is 4.25x5.5"  I think they want the standard bleed (.125) if I remember correctly.

This stuff makes my brain hurt like the math word games did in school (if two vehicles were traveling...._ 🙂

-paulw

2020PeanutsChristmasCard.pdf

H

8 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

See for example (though you would have to adapt it to your needed card size format) ...

Hi,

Is it the same for Designer as for Publisher?    I think the process would be somehow different when setting up the document.  I will check it out.

Thanks!

-wp

4 hours ago, filoplume said:

That looks like it isn't going to help me what I want to do, especially using Publisher.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

6 hours ago, filoplume said:

That looks like it isn't going to help me what I want to do, especially using Publisher.

What exactly is it that you want to do, that is different to the example you posted?

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

7 hours ago, PaulEC said:

What exactly is it that you want to do, that is different to the example you posted?

Hi,

I will study and go through How to Create a Greeting Card Template in Affinity Designer (tutsplus.com) again, but I would rather use Publisher and I need to have content on all four pages (front, inside 1, inside 2, back).  It didn't look like the tutorial did that.  And I will have to change the size, of course.

Thanks

8 hours ago, v_kyr said:

What a great resource the second link is!  I have learned a lot from affinity revolution and the Udemy courses I bought.  And the Affinity workbooks are good but there isn't anything in the Publisher book or the Affinity tutorials that I have noticed specify how to set up a Publisher document for something as simple as I want to do.  I guess it is so easy that it is over my head:-)

1 hour ago, filoplume said:

What a great resource the second link is!

I wonder @Paul Mudditt is aware that there’s a “Mud’s Macros” zip file download on that page. :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

22 hours ago, Alfred said:

I wonder @Paul Mudditt is aware that there’s a “Mud’s Macros” zip file download on that page. :/

Thanks for the heads up @Alfred, I know Robert quite well, I have helped him quite a lot over the years from my Affinity Facebook groups including with my Macros file. Since I do this just for fun I’m OK with him referencing it but thanks again for pointing this out.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

FYI, here is a short play-by-play of what I ended up doing to get my card done:

-I imported last year's PDF from my local printer into Affinity Publisher.  That gave me the measurements and the layout.  11"x4".

-I dragged a vertical ruler to the 50 yard line (center of the field)

-Replaced last year's images with the new ones, etc....

-Sent it off to the printer and they said it was fine.  They told me I didn't have to make any changes and I had my cards in about an hour.

Here's the thing:

This year's PDF that I sent to our printer contained images that were all upright.  They told me all they did was to print double-sided

When I did that at home, the inside pictures were inverted when I printed out the PDF So I inverted those inside images, making them upside down.  It worked!  I attached a summary of the layout in Publisher format and the PDF.

Was the printer mistaken when she told me they didn't have to do anything?  Or is there a difference when printing on a home/Windows printer?

Anyway, the cards look great and now I am signing them and mailing them out in time for Christmas (I hope!).

Thanks everyone and Merry Christmas!

CardLayoutInverted.afpub CardLayoutInverted.pdf

28 minutes ago, filoplume said:

Was the printer mistaken when she told me they didn't have to do anything?  Or is there a difference when printing on a home/Windows printer?

Major difference. And then with another Print Shop you may be given different instructions yet again.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.