You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

William Overington

This poem first appeared in the following publication.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/localizable_sentences_the_second_novel_chapter_024.pdf

In that publication the poem is typeset in the Goudita SF font, the program used was Serif PagePlus X7.

The presentation in the previous post, produced today, uses a direct copy of the poem from the PagePlus .ppp source file.

The text was then pasted into an A4 size document in Affinity Publisher and then the text converted to use the EB Garamond italic font at 18 point, with the use all ligatures option set in Affinity Publisher.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

There is a discussion about the poem in a thread, starting at the following post.

https://community.serif.com/discussion/113998/localizable-sentences-the-second-novel?page=47#reply384679

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

Is there any reason why you chose this font? For me (and I suspect many others) the fancy bit St serve to reduce readability.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

11 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

Is there any reason why you chose this font?

The basic font is quite elegant, and I don’t have a problem with the ch, ck, ct, sk, and st ligatures, but for me the -s ligatures are a bit jarring, and the final form of the ‘e’ interrupts the flow when it isn’t at the end of a line.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, John Rostron said:

Is there any reason why you chose this font? For me (and I suspect many others) the fancy bit St serve to reduce readability.

John

Some time ago I looked through Google fonts - I was looking for a Venetian-style font, but did not find one - but I did find EB Garamond.

I previously used it on a design for a grretimgs card, which I have at home, framed.

I like the font, so I tried it with this poem and I thought it looked good.

William

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

The basic font is quite elegant, and I don’t have a problem with the ch, ck, ct, sk, and st ligatures, but for me the -s ligatures are a bit jarring, and the final form of the ‘e’ interrupts the flow when it isn’t at the end of a line.

Here is a version without the -s ligatures, there were quite a lot of them. The way to remove them is to make the vowel before the 's' to have no ligatures by using the Text Ligatures features of Affinity Publisher. Interestingly I go an ss ligature when I removed the es ligature from the word 'processing' and in some cases an st ligature became added.

I have, alas, not been able to remove the swash 'e' that occurs at the end of each word at this time.

recycling_poem2.thumb.png.c309380fd6f024eb383492ce8e3ece3d.png

William

38 minutes ago, William Overington said:

I have, alas, not been able to remove the swash 'e' that occurs at the end of each word at this time.

But I have now., though I have left them at the end of lines.

recycling_poem3.thumb.png.75ed54240c8b7be6143ddc111d09925b.png

William

15 minutes ago, William Overington said:

But I have now., though I have left them at the end of lines.

I found a way to do it. Would you like to try to work it out before I say?

I did not alter the font.

William

11 minutes ago, William Overington said:

OpenType features such as final forms can be specified at the character level, so it’s fairly straightforward. Instead of applying them globally and hunting through the text to switch them off where you don’t want them, you can apply them only where you do want them.

Alfred spacer.png

18 minutes ago, William Overington said:

There are several possibilities, but not having the font it's difficult to say for sure (a) which would work with that particular font and (b) which you might have done.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

not having the font it's difficult to say for sure

It’s released under the SIL OFL, Walt, so what’s your excuse? :P

Alfred spacer.png

I used a hexadecimal 200B ZERO WIDTH SPACE after each 'e' that ended a non-end-of-line word. Each such word then became flagged as a spelling error, so the 'e' at the end of the word was regarded as being in a word. First I had to find, using the FontCreator program, that the font did actually include a ZERO WIDTH SPACE character.

Getting the hexadecimal 200B character onto the clip board was a bit of a problem.

I resolved it by going into FontCreator, selecting that character, and using the preview facility then copying from the text box.

William

8 minutes ago, Alfred said:

It’s released under the SIL OFL, Walt, so what’s your excuse?

Not knowing where to find it, basically.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

5 minutes ago, William Overington said:

I used a hexadecimal 200B ZERO WIDTH SPACE after each 'e' that ended a non-end-of-line word. Each such word then became flagged as a spelling error, so the 'e' at the end of the word was regarded as being in a word.

Yes, that's one of the possibilities. Another might be to put it before the e.

Regarding spelling errors: Spelling can be turned off in a character text style.

6 minutes ago, William Overington said:

First I had to find, using the FontCreator program, that the font did actually include a ZERO WIDTH SPACE character.

You could have used it from some other font, too.

7 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Getting the hexadecimal 200B character onto the clip board was a bit of a problem.

• Text > Insert > Spaces and Tabs > Zero-Width Space, or
  • Use the Glyph Browser (which is tricky because, though you can search for the character, you can't see spaces in the panel). Or
  • Type U+200B then press Alt+U.

-- Walt
PC:

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Not knowing where to find it, basically.

https://fonts.google.com/specimen/EB+Garamond?query=EB+Garamond

William

24 minutes ago, Alfred said:

OpenType features such as final forms can be specified at the character level, so it’s fairly straightforward. Instead of applying them globally and hunting through the text to switch them off where you don’t want them, you can apply them only where you do want them.

How exactly please? I can't find it.

William

Alfred spacer.png

5 minutes ago, William Overington said:

How exactly please?

If you select the text frame, any OpenType features that you enable will be applied to all the text in the frame. If you highlight a run of text, enabling a feature will only apply to the selected text.

Alfred spacer.png

16 minutes ago, William Overington said:

How exactly please? I can't find it.

In the Character Panel, in the Typography section, you can click on the ... icon to view the Typography panel. Changes made there will apply to selected text (or the entire frame, as Alfred mentioned).

You can also reach that panel by clicking on the Typography icon (fi) on the Context Toolbar with a text tool selected. Note that it may be off the end of the toolbar, requiring you to use the chevron icon to get the dropdown.

-- Walt
PC:

21 minutes ago, Alfred said:

If you select the text frame, any OpenType features that you enable will be applied to all the text in the frame. If you highlight a run of text, enabling a feature will only apply to the selected text.

10 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

In the Character Panel, in the Typography section, you can click on the ... icon to view the Typography panel. Changes made there will apply to selected text (or the entire frame, as Alfred mentioned).

You can also reach that panel by clicking on the Typography icon (fi) on the Context Toolbar with a text tool selected. Note that it may be off the end of the toolbar, requiring you to use the chevron icon to get the dropdown.

I can't find anything about final forms.

William

Looking through the font using the FontCreator program, I found that not only does the font support the long s character, it also includes fifteen long s ligatures. Five of them are used in this poem.

recycling_poem5.thumb.png.e016c8b7b46aa3fd72f1175ebb3827f6.png

William

I don't know why the use of the long 's' makes me want to read the entire poem with a lisp ... 😏

I don't understand what "eye rhyming coming" means. Did you mean "aye, rhyming coming"?

It's a good start, William, but quite a few of the lines don't scan and are clumsy, so I think it needs a bit more work.

7/10. 😊

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

10 minutes ago, Ali said:

I don't understand what "eye rhyming coming" means. Did you mean "aye, rhyming coming"?

I hope that the following will explain and also be of interest.

A song that features an eye rhyme

Incidentally reading through those song lyrics I noticed that it is structurally very similar to the structure of the following song which I first learned about a few days ago, quite by chance, it popped up in a sequence of videos, namely in having verses each of six lines with lines three and four being repeated as lines five and six.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVJDKlhM78U

I found the lyrics in German on the web and then got a translation from Google Translate.

I then watched the video again and noted how the images have been chosen to match the lyrics in some places.

37 minutes ago, Ali said:

It's a good start, William, but quite a few of the lines don't scan and are clumsy, so I think it needs a bit more work.

7/10. 😊

Thank you.

William