You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity photo is not importing the exif-data of the photo

I am not using affinity photo very often, but it is anoying me that the exif-data will be not imported. The finished photo has consequently also no exif-data, which makes it difficult to categorize. Any hints to solve the issue will be appreciated.

Welcome to the forums @Brand,

Could you check in Preferences>General, toward the bottom to see if Load metadata from XMP sidecars is checked?

pref_gen_xmpsidecars.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

2 minutes ago, Brand said:

and an example with no EXIF-data.

We need the actual image file, not a screenshot of it, for diagnosis.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Also, for screenshots when needed, please just paste or drag them into the forum; embedding into a .docx file is just extra work for you and for us.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

We need the actual image file, not a screenshot of it, for diagnosis.

We do need that but from the icons & the lack of some General preference settings in the screenshot it is evident this is an old version of AP, one that among other things does not have the load metadata pref.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 minutes ago, Brand said:

of course the sw is not brandnew. Nevertheless exif-data should be imported.

15 hours ago, R C-R said:

it is evident this is an old version of AP, one that among other things does not have the load metadata pref.

I would think that software that is incapable of loading metadata needs to be updated to the more recent version which does import metadata.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, Brand said:

Nevertheless exif-data should be imported.

Agreed!  But, so far as I can remember, it always has.  I think importing meta data from sidecar files may be a red herring - EXIF data are imported from the .jpg file regardless of whether or not that option is selected.  I think the most obvious way forward is to update AP to the current version and see what happens - if it works then problem solved.  If it doesn't, at least the people trying to help will be using the same software.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

• Staff

That's right - loading metadata from XMP sidecars is a relatively new feature, but it is not what Brand is trying to do.

It is possible that there was some bug in Brand's version of Affinity Photo that prevented metadata from being recognised in files created by that particular camera, but based on the screenshot it is a very old version, and the metadata is working for me in current versions. 👍

3 hours ago, Brand said:

Please find attached a file with exif-data, which will be not exposed after import in affinity photo.

Good to see that the update solved your problem; but just FYI the jpg file as uploaded to this site had almost no EXIF metadata attached to it; possibly because the site software stripped most of it out.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
7 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Good to see that the update solved your problem; but just FYI the jpg file as uploaded to this site had almost no EXIF metadata attached to it; possibly because the site software stripped most of it out.

I don't agree with that; the file contains about the amount of EXIF I'd expect straight out of camera, as well as a ton of Sony Makernote information.

35 minutes ago, Tom Lachecki said:

I don't agree with that; the file contains about the amount of EXIF I'd expect straight out of camera, as well as a ton of Sony Makernote information.

Odd. When I downloaded it I tried opening it in AP 1.10.1 & in XnViewMP, & neither showed any Sony info or much else. This is what the EXIF metadata shows in AD:

EXIF.jpg.5479847ab83e5bfbeaf2983144162113.jpg

XnViewMP did not show much more than that.

EDIT: I figured out what I was doing wrong (not for the first time!!) when I downloaded the file. The first time I downloaded it it was by just dragging it from the Safari browser page to the desktop. What I should have done, & did when I retried it just now, was to right-click on the image & choose "Download linked file" from the popup menu.

After doing that, all the Sony metadata was included in the download.

Sorry for the red herring. :44_frowning2:

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

but just FYI the jpg file as uploaded to this site had almost no EXIF metadata attached to it; possibly because the site software stripped most of it out.

Make sure you click on the image to get the real image (not the "thumbnail") before you download it. You should see significantly more metadata that way.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Make sure you click on the image to get the real image (not the "thumbnail") before you download it. You should see significantly more metadata that way.

As my edited post said, clicking on the image in Safari is not the solution, but right-clicking on it & choosing "Download Linked File" is.

I should know this by now but I keep forgetting that drag & drop to the desktop doesn't get everything.

Affinity Photo