You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher: Error on Pie chart

Hello everyone,

I have 3 complementary arcs of a circle with a pie chart green+orange+grey. 193°+100° +67° = 360°.

1. It is impossible to place the final arc correctly. The normal values of the grey arc of a circle from 213° to 360° cannot be used. We are obliged to carry out complicated calculations in order to position it.

2. Not everyone puts the zero angle of the circle in the same place on the circle. Serif curiously puts it on the left, watchmakers on the top, mathematicians on the right, etc.

So, if we want to use a particular angle of origin, it is even more complicated to position the correct values directly.

3. Not everyone uses the degrees that Serif would like to impose. The international unit of measurement is the radian, used by mathematicians and physicists who have long measured angles by taking the ratio of the circumference to the length of the radius.

There are also many other units of angles.

In French https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radian, in English https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radian.

arc-de-cercle.afpub

arc-de-cercle.thumb.jpg.5c9ef65f6721a9a97e1c0bae60c1ebd4.jpg

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

1 hour ago, Pyanepsion said:

We are obliged to carry out complicated calculations in order to position it.

I don’t think adding 193° and 100° can fairly be described as a “complicated” calculation.

Not everyone puts the zero angle of the circle in the same place on the circle. Serif curiously puts it on the left, watchmakers on the top, mathematicians on the right, etc.

Serif have always used the mathematical convention, as far as I’m aware. I suspect that you may have flipped the pie shape horizontally.

Not everyone uses the degrees that Serif would like to impose.

It would be useful to have the option of choosing radians, grads, or other units of angular measure.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@GarryPThe difficulty is to put the arc of circle with the expected values 213° to 360°. One is forced to put instead the arc of a circle 180° to 247°.

@AlfredI discovered the bug while working on the original beta version on which I did not put any personal settings.

See the afpub file and the image I attached to reproduce this problem.

1. Serif does not use the usual mathematical origin marker, but rather the programmers’ origin marker.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordonnées_polaires

Polar_graph_paper_svg.png.601bb1fb72603b42566a6b4ddbc90152.png

2. The issue remains, however, that it forces us to use its own convention for positioning the zero origin.

@MikeTOIn French statistics, we say a camembert. 😁

camembert.jpg.1e99693bcb6dea4d3fd6498fd754351c.jpg

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

5 hours ago, Pyanepsion said:

1. Serif does not use the usual mathematical origin marker, but rather the programmers’ origin marker.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordonnées_polaires

From the English version at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_coordinate_system:

For example, in mathematics, the reference direction is usually drawn as a ray from the pole horizontally to the right, and the polar angle increases to positive angles for ccw rotations...

This is the same convention used in the Affinity Pie tool -- refer for example to this 60° pie.afdesign file.

Using this convention, your pie chart can be constructed as in this Pie chart.afpub example:

127186395_piechart.jpg.951550b79c344141bc5a49700f5d8a85.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

8 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

All angle fields accept also radian values.

Thanks, @Lagarto. I’d forgotten that!

10 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

Below all sector values have been given without calculations

Speaking of calculations, instead of typing 1.74532925 you can type (100 * pi) / 180 to let the app calculate the value in radians that is equivalent to 100°.

Alfred spacer.png

I can no longer reproduce the error when starting from the beginning of the construction. The 0° is now well to the right as it should be. It is as if at some point the first pie had been flipped horizontally, which I did not do, at least deliberately, and then duplicated on the second and third pie.

This finally reveals some problems:

1. The origin of the angles should have remained on the right-hand side when flipped horizontally; the same applies to the values and when flipped vertically.
  2. The possibility to choose the position of the origin of the angles is missing. For example, at the top (clock) instead of on the right (mathematical).
  3. The information that the origin of the angle measurements has been changed is missing.
  4. Not all angle units can be chosen, only the degree, not even the radian which is the unit of the international measurement system!
    • radian: 1 rad
    • quadrant: 1 quadrant
    • grade: 1 gr
    • degree: 1°
    • and more unusual ones.

The bug I encountered revealed 4 problems. You say:

7 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

The posts above show how the angles can be given by using radians, and also by using pi based calculations.

I can't find anywhere how to type directly, for example, 1.2 rad. In DTP, it is common to have to work with clients who use the radian, as this is the unit of the international measurement system.

7 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

Also, as noted the origin can be determined by using rotation.

It's all DIY, very time consuming and with a lot of risk of error. What is missing is a tool to change the origin of the angles and the direction of rotation, a tool a bit like the transform tool, but suitable for circular figures.

16 minutes ago, Pyanepsion said:

I can't find anywhere how to type directly, for example, 1.2 rad.

Just type into the box, I assume there is no issue with decimal . or ,

radians.png

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

11 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

The decimal can be comma or dot,

Not in England it can't, if I type 1,2rad it evaluates to 360° so you appear to have a bonus

On the other hand 180/pi evaluates to 57° so I guess it's a draw

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

OK. I had pasted ‘174.532925 RAD’ and then written ‘1,1 rad’. This does not work. It is necessary to type rad , rads, radian or radians, and to replace with the decimal separator point of the only Anglo-Saxon systems whereas it is everywhere else the comma in all the other systems.

Decimal_separator.png.50bc064eade183112862683ddec4fdd4.png

It would be necessary here to be able to choose in Preferences the angular unit as it is done for feet, inches and yards which nobody uses in the world except for some countries, but which are nevertheless proposed in addition to meters, centimetres and millimetres.

6 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

Oh, now I got it, the calculation needs to be entered as follows:

((100*pi)/180)rad

I suppose that makes sense (with hindsight!) since without the additional set of parentheses you would be asking the app to divide 100π by 180 rad.

Alfred spacer.png

6 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

On your map […] That's about half the world's population.

This is a map from Wikipedia.

With rare exception, only the United States and countries colonized by the British use the decimal separator dot, and in fact, in terms of language, English is losing ground.. Even if half used dot and half the comma, there would be no reason to force the other half to use an inappropriate separator!

That said, Serif is planning to move to using the operating system location soon according to a previous post.

2 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

duodecimal (uncial)

I’ve only ever known the word ‘uncial’ to refer to a type of majuscule script! Looking it up now, I see that it can also relate to an ounce or and inch, but this usage is rare (and ounces are not part of a duodecimal system).

Alfred spacer.png

Just now, LondonSquirrel said:

Hahaha. Very funny.

What you say is from the last century. In fact, English is mainly becoming the language of business and academics.

According to linguists who study the evolution of different languages, it seems that many formerly colonised countries no longer want to use the language of the invader in favour of their ancestral language. There is also the fact that advances in automatic translation software favour the use of one's own mother tongue. Finally, there are laws in various countries that prohibit the use of a foreign language in publications and contracts.