You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Thumbnail or photo scanning feature

h_d, thank you so much for looking into this. I'm attaching one of the NEF files here. Just to refresh, I am shooting with a Nikon Z7ii- this is Nikon's most recent mirrorless series issue and it has a giant sensor, double the size of most market mirrorless and DSLR sensors at 46MP. DSC_1074.NEFNot sure if it is typical of NEF files as I am new to the NEF game, but for good measure, it took approximately 6 minutes for this file to load and my first attempt at uploading failed.

Curious if the massive sensor MP range is the core issue here, thoughts?

DSC_1074.NEF

Well your Nikon cam uses a nowadays common FX (fullformat CMOS, 35,9 mm x 23,9 mm) sensor with 45,7 millionen pixel. So a common usage sensor for nowadays mirrorless DSLR replacements. The size of the generated NEFs depends on made cam settings, as it supports NEF (RAW): 12 or 14 bits (losslessly compressed, compressed or uncompressed); Sizes L, M and S available (M and S images are recorded with a color depth of 12 bits and lossless compression). - Thus ...

FX size (36 × 24): (L) 8256 × 5504 (45.4 million), (M) 6192 × 4128 (25.6 million), (S) 4128 × 2752 (11.4 million) DX format (24 × 16): (L) 5408 × 3600 (19.5 million), (M) 4048 × 2696 (10.9 million), (S) 2704 × 1800 (4.9 million) 5: 4 format ( 30 × 24): (L) 6880 × 5504 (37.9 million), (M) 5152 × 4120 (21.2 million), (S) 3440 × 2752 (9.5 million) 1: 1 format (24 × 24): (L) 5504 × 5504 (30.3 million), (M) 4128 × 4128 (17.0 million), (S) 2752 × 2752 (7.6 million) 16: 9 format (36 × 20): (L) 8256 4640 (38.3 million), (M) 6192 × 3480 (21.5 million) ...

Opening and so the overall average loading speed with bigger NEFs depends on several factors here. First the used RAW engine (different RAW converters = different speeds, as far as they already support your CAM), your computers CPU/GPU performance, the computers RAM size and SSD/HDD speed etc.

You can crosscheck with Nikon's NX Studio software, how long that takes to open and showup your Z7ii NEFs.

BTW, for previewing NEFs under MacOS, your Z7ii is supported by MacOS since BigSur, former MacOS versions only took the initial Z7 into account. So you may need to update your MacOS in order to make use of Apple's RAW engine for previewing and the like.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

For what it is worth on neither of  my machines running 10.12.6 or 10.14.6 do I see a finder preview. Must be very new. Both machines open the file but the little MacBook really struggles. Huge image.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

The Nikon Z7ii is supported by Apple and it's RAW engine itself lately since BigSur and thus not by previous MacOS versions!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

11 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

According to the Phocus manual, NEF files are supported:

I just checked with my copy of Phocus and this one isn't. No sign of it I guess because Phocus uses the Apple Raw and therefore it is missing in my older Ones.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

1 minute ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Can you upload a sample NEF file here? I will take a look.

She already did, take a closer look above!

2 hours ago, Nikon Girl said:

This is only happening with NEF files. JPEGs and all other images are fine in quicklook. I was so excited about shooting raw and now I'm starting to regret it🙄

Which MacOS version do you use? - Your cam's NEFs are only supported by MacOS >= BigSur!

Wow, thanks everyone who has helped get to the root here. I am downloading Big Sur- current run time is 10 hours. Hoping this will be the key and I will report back. I'm hopeful about this development and will report back after the download. There are not too many cameras on the market with these giant sensors and they are relatively new, but sensors are a buzz feature at the moment and I imagine more will be market ready shortly. Thank you again, talk soon-Nikon Girl

10 minutes ago, Nikon Girl said:

There are not too many cameras on the market with these giant sensors and they are relatively new, but sensors are a buzz feature at the moment and I imagine more will be market ready shortly.

Well you're somehow mixing up an uncompressed RAW file format storage size with overall sensor sizes/dimensions here. - That FX (fullframe) sensor size isn't giant and instead something which was already there long time ago, so to say common usage. Any fullframe cam before (from Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji, ... etc.) also used FX sensors of that dimension size. The only thing which changed nowadays is that they are now used in a lot of mirrorless cams too and that they partly can squeeze slightly more pixels out of common size FX sensors.

In your case the file size will be propably huger due to saving them yet as uncompressed NEF files, since if you would save your images instead as compressed NEFs they would be just around half the size then (~80 MB --> ~40 MB occupied disk space).

A huger even still not a giant sensor, is a medium format sensor, so something you can find in some Fuji cams (like a GFX100S with effective 102 MPX), Hasselblads, Phase One ... etc. - The common RAW file size of a Fuji GFX100S for example would be around 210 MB then.

Hi Friends,

I'm about to stab myself in the eye out of frustration. The whole day was dedicated to clearing my computer and installing Big Sur and guess what. Still no ability to see NEFs in thumbnail or preview. Attempting to quick view just enlarges the affinity icon and launches affinity to enable me to open one photo at a time in the software. I will contact Nikon after work tomorrow. If anyone has suggestions in the interim I'm all ears. There is no way I can have an open one-photo-at-a-time-life. Please help if you can 🙄

Nightmare. My only other suggestion, and it's not ideal, would be to try Adobe DNG Converter (free) to convert them to .dng format files. It doesn't overwrite the originals, and .dngs should be accessible with Preview and QuickView. 

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Cannot speak for Nikon but my Canon .CR2 files have Canon software to use. Surely Nikon has something that will give you previews.

This is really odd. I downloaded your file. My 2013 Mac running Big Sur previewed it fine. If you select the image in column view, does it give you the file info like I see?

Interestingly, the OS doesn't appear to update the icon. On mine, it seems to think it's going to open in NX studio, not APhoto. If you right-click > get info, does it show a preview and the correct app?

Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 19.29.16.png

Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 19.30.56.png

37 minutes ago, Nikon Girl said:

I feel like I might be missing something obvious and can't figure it out.

Probably not relevant but where is this folder located -- on your startup drive in your user account's "Pictures" folder, or somewhere else?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The black and yellow is a problem at my end - it's the icon for Nikon NX studio which used to open NEF files. It should be the affinity logo now.

I've just noticed something. This is a screenshot of your display. What does it look like if you click where I've circled?

1851797730_Screenshot2021-07-12at21_15_45.png.ecb32a5e446ddb6a88e08094a2096c8d.png

Just tried with GraphicConverter (by Lemkesoft) on Mojave.

I can get a preview there, start a slide show and the spacebar even activates quicklook within this app.

Maybe worth a try.

Screenshot.png

Macbook Pro mid 2015, 16 GB, double barrel: MacOS Mojave + Affinity 1 (+ Adobe’s CS6)/ MacOS Monterey + Affinity 2

I just realized that for some reason Big Sur never fully completed the download and I have corrected it. I am now able to see photos in preview if I click the spacebar on said photo, however it takes a bit of time and I am unable to see the images as thumbnails. I'm glad that there appears to be some support for raw NEF in Big Sur, but seeking to optimize performance. I was thinking of  installing ViewNX may do this Xn View MP, but prefer a method to see thumbnails directly in mac and not have to open them all in software if possible. Is there a way to see all raw NEF as thumbnails?

1 hour ago, RM f/g said:

Just tried with GraphicConverter (by Lemkesoft) on Mojave.

I can get a preview there, start a slide show and the spacebar even activates quicklook within this app.

It also works for me, & I'm running Catalina.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Usually you should see thumbnail pics in Apple Finder then under BigSur too, since that MacOS version's Apple RAW engine supports your Z7ii NEF files. You should then further be able to use Apple's QuickView feature on selected *.NEF thumbs in order to see quick previews etc.

thumbs.jpg.180f57fa6bdbe39085f511a45e3629ee.jpg

view_selections.jpg.efba33e4ee258a9653e4ef6a7939f261.jpg

In Apple's Finder select an image icon/thumbs area view and not just a file name list overview, see above in Finder the available view switches and what the forum user P_Monty showed you before!

Most other third party viewers (like GraphicConverter, NXView MX etc.) will show only the embedded JPG preview part of the NEF files in their viewers/browsers.

In order to get a full NEF files list browser overview you can also use Nikon's NXStudio software, which is also a much better Nikon NEF file RAW converter than APh.

This is definitely not the case for my situation. Why can't I see images in thumbnail in Finder? It's the same in gallery, columns, icons and lists. Just the affinity icon until I press space bar, wait for a long delay and then the image comes up. Does it matter that my photos are averaging 87MP?