You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Thumbnail or photo scanning feature

7 hours ago, Nikon Girl said:

... Does it matter that my photos are averaging 87MP?

Of course, the data a preview shows is/lies inside the NEF files and that data has first to be read, interpreted and showed up then. Thus the huger the files to handle (parse/read) the more the delay until the final showup.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Hi Fixx, I have it checked and still not showing images in finder.

All of my files lost the affinity icon and now have the Nikon Icon since I dowloaded ViewNX.

I left finder open overnight and still not showing, so this does not appear to be a time lag situation, they just are not showing in thumbnail.

8 hours ago, Nikon Girl said:

All of my files lost the affinity icon and now have the Nikon Icon since I dowloaded ViewNX.

That's Ok, since that's now the default app which is associated to the .NEF file extensions. You can still open NEFs then directly from Affinity Photo, or use "Open with..." via a right click context menu on a NEF file etc.

8 hours ago, Nikon Girl said:

I left finder open overnight and still not showing, so this does not appear to be a time lag situation, they just are not showing in thumbnail.

You misunderstood that, the lag time was just meant when opening NEF files via quickview or preview mechanisms (selecting a NEF thumb and pressing the space key for quick view on that selected one for example). The Finder should show up instead just little thumb icons as shown above in one of my screenshots and it doesn't need a bunch of time to show up these. The Finder scans an Folder for containing files and their extensions pretty much immediately and shows up thumbs and names in case of JPGs/PNGs/NEFs ... image files etc.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

20 hours ago, Nikon Girl said:

I am now able to see photos in preview if I click the spacebar on said photo

Don't forget, in macOS you can select multiple images and Quick Look (spacebar), then click the little grid icon (upper left next to nav arrows) to see everything in a virtual proof sheet. Then hit escape to back out to singular view.

39 minutes ago, prophet said:

Don't forget, in macOS you can select multiple images and Quick Look (spacebar), then click the little grid icon (upper left next to nav arrows) to see everything in a virtual proof sheet. Then hit escape to back out to singular view.

You can also click on the double-arrow icon to the right of the two next/previous buttons to open a full screen version of the current image, complete with a slideshow option, plus an option for a full screen "index" sheet.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

v_kyr- I am still unable to see images in finder view and am only being presented with icon images unless I hit the space bar, curious why I can't see them.

Also, I may repost this as a separate topic. Since my Big Sur upgrade, I am no longer able to open any new photos to post on instagram. It seems I can open the file just to view, but when I find files via instagram, they are all greyed out and unable to be selected. Any idea how to fix this?