You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is this a bug?

I have a blank Document in which I place a small image near the top & one near the bottom but upside down. I rotate them round the document centre by 60 degrees and add one image at the top & one upside down at the bottom. I rotate by 60 degrees and add another 2 images. 

The result is 6 images in hexagonal layout top outermost. See attached image. If I send to the printer I get what appears to be a 'fine line drop shadow' to the right & bottom of some images although they do not appear on screen or if I 'print' to PDF format then print from Adobe Reader. It is almost as if the printing adds a 'drop shadow' at random to embedded images.

It can add the lines to one image if then rotated but if I add the same image again (from the same file) but don't then need to rotate the lines do not show. These lines do not appear on the actual images used and were cropped to remove surrounding blank space.

I hope this is clear enough for you to understand.

Carousel.png

• Staff

Hey Dangerous,

Can you supply me with the .afphoto file please? I'll need to ask someone to give it a test print. I can't think why this would only appear during print and not export. It almost sounds like a bad crop/cut but it would surely show on export if that were the case...

Here's a private folder if you'd prefer to keep it out of the public eye - https://www.dropbox.com/request/LfAqrzWyn8DPWkcjEiTt

Any chance that you upload the Affinity file and the PDF? And is it correct, that the text on the helmets is mirrored?

EDIT: I am simply to slow in answering ... :(

Edited by Joachim_L
Anwered too slow

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

6 minutes ago, Dangerous said:

The result is 6 images in hexagonal layout top outermost. See attached image. If I send to the printer I get what appears to be a 'fine line drop shadow' to the right & bottom of some images although they do not appear on screen or if I 'print' to PDF format then print from Adobe Reader.

How was the attached image produced? I see a drop shadow on the ‘La Cumplida Refinada’ examples but not on the others.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

The files were downloaded as png from the Nespresso site, cropped to remove excessive blank space then saved as .afphoto. files. These files have been printed out on photo paper (in grid format) with no shadow line. When the same image is added to the 'hexagonal' layout the lines/shadow can print but normally only on the images that appear rotated at an angle other than 90 or 180 degrees (but it can be random at times).

Carousel.afphoto Carousel.pdf

In this image I have added a 'right angle' in black which is an approximation of what is seen on the printout. It is not the actual image as I am unable to scan the printed output at the moment.

The red box I have drawn is the 'outline/frame' of the image as the image was placed horizontal then rotated 60 degrees.

00.png

35 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Hey Dangerous,

Can you supply me with the .afphoto file please? I'll need to ask someone to give it a test print. I can't think why this would only appear during print and not export. It almost sounds like a bad crop/cut but it would surely show on export if that were the case...

Here's a private folder if you'd prefer to keep it out of the public eye - https://www.dropbox.com/request/LfAqrzWyn8DPWkcjEiTt

The PDF I create is via cute.pdf. This pretends to be a printer so any program will think it is a printer, output the data in print format & cute.pdf will then convert it to a pdf, the result is an exact pdf copy of what would be printed.

Now I have just opened the file again in A-photo, printed to PDF, Printed to paper. There are no lines on the PDF, This time on the paper there are no lines on the Chiaro image whereas the 1st time there was. The file has not be edited. This is why I say it is random.

47 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Hey Dangerous,

Further to my last reply to you. The PDF I just created was then sent to the printer and it came out perfect with no line (none in the PDF) so that suggests that the problem is not with the actual printer or the Win 10 driver (maybe A-Photo to Win 10 driver as A-Photo to Cute.pdf works))

What if you export the file in aphoto as .pdf?

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

1 hour ago, Komatös said:

What if you export the file in aphoto as .pdf?

If I export a pdf there is no extra lines when viewed or printed.

Same when exported as jpg or png, no lines. The print is perfect, it is only when printing direct from A-Photo.

4 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

that the text on the helmets is mirrored?

They are Vertuo coffee pods and the page will be read from one direction hence why the bottom 3 are 'upside down' in relation to their relevant pods 

Edited to say-

Ooops, just spotted what you mean.

1 hour ago, Dangerous said:

If I export a pdf there is no extra lines when viewed or printed.

Same when exported as jpg or png, no lines. The print is perfect, it is only when printing direct from A-Photo.

I have printed your document directly from aphoto, but I cannot see any lines in the print. And also the print in a PDF does not show any visible lines.

The printout is not true to colour as I print on recycled paper.

By drop shadows, you don't mean the shadows that are under the cups, do you?

1099052564_ScanEsponXP-7100.thumb.jpg.e8c21b1273b5a545877b0ea38244671f.jpg

Carousell XP-7100.pdf

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

5 hours ago, Dangerous said:

In this image I have added a 'right angle' in black which is an approximation of what is seen on the printout. It is not the actual image as I am unable to scan the printed output at the moment.

The red box I have drawn is the 'outline/frame' of the image as the image was placed horizontal then rotated 60 degrees.

00.png

You can see in this image a black vertical & horizontal line to the right & bottom of one of the La Cumplida Refinada images. I have drawn this  to indicate what is seen  next to some of the individual images although not as black/thick. I am hoping that shortly I can upload a scanned print showing the actual problem. I drew the red box to indicate the image frame. As you can see the lines that appear do not go round the frame of the individual image. It is getting hard to explain clearly but hopfully I will have the scan file very soon.

To show the randomness of this issue I rotated the 6 pod hexagonal group by 120 degrees (nothing else done) then printed it out. On this image I have drawn lines in red to indicate the position the spurious lines are now added. As you can see from the image there are 3 pods that did not have line now have lines. One pod that did now does not and one that did now has the lines in a different position in relation to the pod. This to me indicates that the lines are not in the image files.

As I say, Random lines!

Carousel & Drawer.png

I see that all cups are embedded elements. Can you rasterise them once so that they become (pixel) layers? And then print the document?

12 minutes ago, Komatös said:

I see that all cups are embedded elements. Can you rasterise them once so that they become (pixel) layers? And then print the document?

Rasterised all the layers and printed out ok, no lines

Reverted back to all embedded images then rasterised the text on one and the image on another, the one with the rasterised image no lines but lines on the other.

reverted them all back to embedded & this time rasterised the image on the one I'd rasterised the text & rasterised the text on the one I'd previously rasterised the image. Again no lines on the rasterised image but lines on the other.

This suggests (or proves?) that the problem exists with the printing of a document with embedded images (and possibly only if the layer/layers are rotated).

OffTopic

For me, these things are unnecessary waste and more expensive by the kilo than manufactured coffee. 

1 hour ago, Komatös said:

OffTopic

For me, these things are unnecessary waste and more expensive by the kilo than manufactured coffee. 

maybe so but cheaper & better than costa and you don't have to go out to a cafe (if they are open that is).

Back on topic. This seems like a random bug as why would rotating them change which image had the lines, why would rasterising the embedded image fix the fault which is also fixed by exporting, why would the file print out ok for you? Maybe it is the Canon or the MG 7550 driver profile, I don't know but I know something is going wrong! 

Hello,

It is difficult to say what the problem is. Since I get an error-free printout even without rasterising the layers, I rule out photo for the time being. 

If I understand correctly, the lines don't appear when you create a PDF file with cutePDF, but when you output directly to the printer, they do appear.

It looks to me as if the printer driver is causing the problems.

And whether it is the printer driver or/and the printer, you could test by printing on the Canon with another PC/laptop.

Edited by Komatös

10 hours ago, Komatös said:

Hello,

It is difficult to say what the problem is. Since I get an error-free printout even without rasterising the layers, I rule out photo for the time being. 

If I understand correctly, the lines don't appear when you create a PDF file with cutePDF, but when you output directly to the printer, they do appear.

It looks to me as if the printer driver is causing the problems.

And whether it is the printer driver or/and the printer, you could test by printing on the Canon with another PC/laptop.

As I say if I rasterise or export the .afphoto file it prints perfect. If I print to CUTEPDF (which to all intent & purposes is a printer although it creates a pdf instead) it prints perfect. It prints perfect on your system (what printer?). Unless I was able to try another printer or 2 (one a MG7550 and the other a non-canon [and/or canon but not the MG range]) then I am stuck and in future export the .afphoto prior to printing retaining the .afphoto for future edits (deleting the unwanted exported file). It's a workaround for now.

I can't understand where these lines come from, they do not line up as the edges of ANY image/text frame that appears when you click the element to move. transform etc.

Thanks to all how have attempted to help with this. Have to hope that Affinity pick up on this issue, check the driver & find a solution.